Oil Recommendation for Nissan 3.5 V6 113,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the situation.

"New" used car. Want to switch to a dino oil that has excellent cleaning capabilities.

Car was used often in city 10 to 20 mile trips. Oil change schedule was good. Want to use an oil that will help clean motor... just in case there is some deposit build up.

Do not want to go full synthetic due to their very aggressive and quick cleaning process..... May be a myth...but I don't want to create any leaks.

Will start with (2) 2000 mile OCI's and Wix filters.

Tempted by PYB marketing....

Chevron Supreme is on sale at Costco next month... I have no experience with the brand.

Seeking recomedations.

Regards, Scott

Literally any API SN oil in the correct viscosity will be fine for a std 3K mile OCI. 3K is short enough, don't' waste more money doing 2K.

What year is it?

In my experience, Nissan V6s are very durable, but some of them consume oil and you need to keep an eye on it and make sure you don't run low. It doesn't really matter what brand you use as long as it meets specs and you maintain a decent oci.

KingCake is right here, so go with Chevron Supreme and you will be good to go. I have run Chevron/ Havoline Pro DS full synthetic in my Altima 3.5 coupe and it has run very well with it. If I went the conventional oil route I'd go with that or PYB, QSGB, and Valvoline. For the record, the VQ motors are tough on oil due to timing chain. They shear out a 30 grade into a 20 pretty easily at times. These motors tend to do well with a bit of a thicker 30 or even a 40 operating viscosity. I like running a dexos approved oil and a HTO-06 one due to being able to maintain being a 30 grade longer.

But being that you are keeping it at 3k miles the Chevron Supreme is a very good choice.

Last edited:
^^^^ these brands and also Mobil Super are all good choices in a clean conventional

Scott,

How dirty is the engine? Did you remove the valve cover to have a look?

I've used full synthetic on a 1mfz Toyota engine with minor sludge and varnish. The cleaning wasn't aggressive (used both Mobil 1 and Pennzoil platinum).

Don't think that synthetic will act like a belt sander at cleaning a motor.

Yeah, really - oil is not a "cleaner" ... Some do it over a long time and many changes, but if you want clean now, Kreen or BG109 and more aggressive, and they do not start leaks!

I'd suggest Rotella T6 5W-40 HDEO and a good start. Cheap enough, Run it 3K changes and see what you get ...

Thank You all.

I did not take off the valve cover.

I will look into the Rotella.....hadn't thought of that choice.

Regards, Scott

Yes Nissan V6 motors do seem to run real smooth with some oil on the heavy side like a 40 weight. I say run Mobil 1 0w40 and call it a day. By the way Nissan V6 motors do have a tendency to eat timing chains so if your V6 has timing chain noise get it replaced you can go on youtube and hear examples of what the noise sounds like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back