Undercarriage

Status
Not open for further replies.
So curious on opinions about getting some sort of underbody spray or rustproofing. Brand new f150. I'll be keeping it a long time and it will always be outside (wont fit in garage). Do people get the whole underneath sprayed or just wheel wells?

Definitely spray the whole underside. Road salt gets everywhere. Especially up top of gas tanks, fuel/brake lines, and inside any rocker panels. I spray each car every fall with Fluid Film. That includes inside the doors and inside the rockers I can get access to.

I've had good luck with Fluid Film. Others will say it's junk and that other products work better. The consensus is that spraying some sort of protective oily coating that wears off over the course of the winter is a darned sight better than doing nothing.

I do my own rustproofing, and shoot the entire undercarriage, inside rocker panels, fenders, doors, etc. I don't see any point in just doing wheel wells.

I spray everything except exhaust with Fluid Film. There are better products but IMO FF is good enough for plebeian transportation.

Just did my F150 and the Exploder this evening with fluid film. I use the bulk gallon and it was just enough for a HEAVY coat on the F150 and a light job on the Explorer. I spray with the HF airless paint sprayer and cut with a little bit of veggie oil (per Eureka's instructions).

The F150 looks great underneath, though there are a few places where rust started for the previous own they haven't changed in 3 years for me.

Don't forget rockers and doors. I use the fluid film rattle can with the wand attachment for this. Actually, IMHO this step might just be more important that spraying the exposed sheet metal.

Originally Posted By: jay929
Steel frame
Yeah, but what's rust proofing the wheel wells and the underside going to do? I mean I guess spraying the frame.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I do my own rustproofing, and shoot the entire undercarriage, inside rocker panels, fenders, doors, etc. I don't see any point in just doing wheel wells.

Frank you did it the right way with the correct gun and product. $500 is a lot of wood but it will protect the vehicle a lot longer and better than FF which is just cheap DIY stuff, better than nothing but personally not worth my time messing around with, it doesn't take any more time doing the job with good stuff.
Cortec and Corban with the correct gun and wands are the products that really stand out for this application.

White lithium grease stops and prevents rust, doesn't wash off, and lasts for years. Can't spray it on though so it's limited to areas that you can smear it on.

Corrosion Free. Easy to apply. Ordered their spray gun and gallon jugs of the product.

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
Corrosion Free. Easy to apply. Ordered their spray gun and gallon jugs of the product.

How long does it last?

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Boxed frame? Try to get the spray INSIDE the frame somehow.
Dang hard. Mine is boxed in sections, open in others. I've taken to giving a good spray into what I can reach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back