Rear shocks for Traverse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Autozone shows Gabriel and KYB shocks for the Traverse, and the KYB costs twice as much ($92 vs. $45). Any thoughts on what would make the KYB significantly better? The dust boot mounting rusted through on one of mine, and it's flopping around making lots of racket. After 150,000 miles and 6 years I figure the shocks are probably getting tired of potholes anyway and they aren't hard to replace.

Rock Auto has better prices than Autozone. But if you like the Zone, order online and you get 20% off ship-to-home orders of $100 or more.

KYB makes two shocks for your car, the Excel-G (GR2) and the Gas-a-just. Many people do like KYB better than Monroe and Gabriel. Rock Auto has the GR2 for $42, and the Gas-a-just for $54.

If you can wait two weeks, Monroe and Gabriel will probably have a rebate that they do every September and October. In that case, you can get a pair of quick struts for the front along with your rear shocks (both Monroe and Gabriel make quick struts for your Traverse)
smile.gif

gas-a-just are mono-tube and a better 'heavy duty' shock for a great price. Recommended if you have heavier loads (camping gear) or passengers often.

I'd go that route. (even after s/h, rockauto beats amazon)

KYB performs better on rough stuff - but you have to watch them for rust (Rancho too) ...
I keep up with a rattle can of Rustoleum.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Rock Auto has better prices than Autozone. But if you like the Zone, order online and you get 20% off ship-to-home orders of $100 or more.

KYB makes two shocks for your car, the Excel-G (GR2) and the Gas-a-just. Many people do like KYB better than Monroe and Gabriel. Rock Auto has the GR2 for $42, and the Gas-a-just for $54.

If you can wait two weeks, Monroe and Gabriel will probably have a rebate that they do every September and October. In that case, you can get a pair of quick struts for the front along with your rear shocks (both Monroe and Gabriel make quick struts for your Traverse)
smile.gif

The Gr2 is a pretty good shock and smoother riding than the Gas a just. Gas a just will do better towing or hauling. I have run both in the past.

You can get the AC Delco for $60-74 for the FE2 suspension from Rock which will handle a lot better. These are better than both of the ones you mention.

Those Gas-Adjust mono shocks will ride stiff-be warned.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
I have also heard Monroe Sensatrac (if available) are good as well.

Sensa-Trac has been replaced by the OESpectrum, which is much better

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
Are the fronts original?

I was thinking the same thing because at his miles I would be replacing the front struts too.

In general, KYB is a better product than Monroe or Gabriel. The folks on iATN also share this opinion.

If possible I would still buy the real OE shocks from GM. In my experience, even the aftermarket KYB's wear out sooner than factory units (on Toyota and Honda) and do not ride as well.

IMO the KYB's are junk. We have had them break open on trucks here. No warranty either, denied by mfgr.

I strongly recommend Gabriel Ultra. Really tames the road even in a HD truck. Competitive pricing, too.

OE GM shocks easily go 100k miles, I doubt they go 150...

IF you can get them, the monroe reflex is a good shock for a family hauler. I used them on a minivan and grand cherokee. monroe only makes them for truck-type vehicles so they aren't there for all models. If I couldn't source reflexes, I'd next consider Steve's suggestion based on the success he's had repeatedly with Gabriel, or go off your list and consider bilstein.

Turns out replacing them was a good idea. The clunking I heard wasn't just the dust boot rattling around, the rubber around the upper bushing tore off the shock, so the shock was rattling around on the metal bushing. May have flattened the metal bushing slightly since it was a real pain getting the bolt to come out. The right side was no trouble, although the old shocks didn't offer as much resistance as the new ones when I compressed them by hand. So much quieter now
smile.gif
. Fronts appear to be OK, but I'm sure I'll be saving my pennies for those in the near future.

With those miles it is worth replacing the front and back if you intend on keeping the vehicle for a long time. You can grab the AC-Delcos for under $60 a pop. I have Monroes on the Malibu and Equinox and they are working more than fine but for the price why not go for the oem brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back