Monopoly and Innovative

Status
Not open for further replies.
When your company is the only player in town chance is that your company will not try to innovate their business practice, try to have better quality products at lower cost. Why would you worry about those things if your business model is "Cost Plus" and you are only player in town ?

Quote:
The big kahuna of American rocket companies is the United Launch Alliance, a joint venture of Boeing and Lockheed Martin that until this year held a monopoly on the lucrative business of launching rockets for the US Air Force.

But that monopoly is no more. The company faces a new era of competition as Elon Musk’s maturing SpaceX aims to fly more space missions in one year than ULA does, and as Jeff Bezos’ Blue Origin breaks ground on a new factory for orbital rockets.

Quote:
When Elon Musk founded SpaceX, he brought two key virtues that had been missing in aerospace: A Silicon Valley style of leanness amid all the cushy government contract margins, and a visionary belief that investments in reusable rockets would be justified by a wave of space businesses involving customers beyond traditional government clients.

ULA is learning from both ideas. Bruno has responded to the competitive challenge with better blocking and tackling—”we’ve taken about 36% percent of the costs out of our supply chain—and a vision, rivaling Musk’s in its ambition, of a growing economy between the Earth and the moon.

Quote:
Key to all of this is making it cheaper to actually get to space. As of 2015, SpaceX was able to cut the retail cost of its rockets to less than $100 million—as low as $62 million for certain commercial launches—while the cheapest ULA rocket costs $164 million to fly. Those numbers alone explain how SpaceX shook up the market, though ULA notes that the upstart can’t match its 100% record for reliability.

Either way, ULA is building a whole new launch system, called Vulcan, to compete.

http://qz.com/766697/spacexs-biggest-riv...&yptr=yahoo

ULA didn't do anything for more than a decade while they were the sole contractor to launch rockets for the US Air Force. Only when Space-X had a contract to launch a satellite for US Air Force few months ago then ULA starts to cut cost and tries to innovate their business.

It is very similar to other monopoly industries. Example, a town with only 1 cable TV company the cost is usually very high with lousy customer service, but when that town allows another cable company to provide service, suddenly the old cable company had a much lower cost with more channels and a much better customer service.

Most government contractors (specially defense contractors) are operated with "Cost Plus" contract, whatever the cost is plus a percentage of profit government just paid the bill no question asked.

Another type of monopoly is utility companies. You have only 1 company provides these services: Water, gas, electricity ... Whatever they charge you just pay, the only thing you can do to lower your bills is using less, but sometimes using less doesn't mean lower bill. We use less water(about 20-25% less) because of severe drought the last 5 years, but our bills went up a little. Water service charge went up by 30-40%, sewer service charge went up by similar percentage and water rate went up by 15-20%.

I hate monopoly.

Last edited:
Thanks for the mini-education.

Now class, your homework assignment is to learn everything we can about costs in the aerospace field, cable entertainment delivery industry, water supply and sewage disposal and treatment.

We should file suit for refund of price gauging and see if criminal charges need be filed against those who had/have a fiduciary responsibility to tax payers and rate payers.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
W

Most government contractors (specially defense contractors) are operated with "Cost Plus" contract, whatever the cost is plus a percentage of profit government just paid the bill no question asked.

You wrote. "Most". Please provide proof. Thanks.

I hate monopoly.

Except when Elon buys himself a Senator and tries to create his own monopoly by lobbying to have ULA's rockets banned?

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
Might as well get over it. Monopolies/Cartels are always going to exist.

See, the problem is people like OP think they can just regulate human nature away, ironically, with MORE big government.

Want monopolies to stop existing?

Insist on the cancellation and destruction of all fiat currency, and return to a gold standard.

Conveniently, the US military-industrial complex will cease to exist, because no one will tolerate that much of their tax money being stolen to fund ideological warfare with new (and absurdly expensive) gadgets.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69

See, the problem is people like OP think they can just regulate human nature away, ironically, with MORE big government.

Insist on the cancellation and destruction of all fiat currency, and return to a gold standard.

Conveniently, the US military-industrial complex will cease to exist, because no one will tolerate that much of their tax money being stolen to fund ideological warfare with new (and absurdly expensive) gadgets.

I didn't want to say what you said because I thought it would be political.

But yes, as long as government tampers in free markets there will always be monopolies and yes it includes all forms of taxation and regulations.

But I will not go into that on this topic. If someone wishes to discuss that with me they can PM me.

But yes, as long as government tampers in free markets there will always be monopolies and yes it includes all forms of taxation and regulations.

But I will not go into that on this topic. If someone wishes to discuss that with me they can PM me.

I was referring to the OP, who continuously starts political threads, and for some reason hasn't seen the banhammer yet...

I was referring to the OP, who continuously starts political threads, and for some reason hasn't seen the banhammer yet...

my mistake LOL!
01.gif
happy2.gif
banana2.gif
spankme2.gif

This thread has nothing to do with Elon Musk, it just happened that Space-X success in getting US Air Force contract(s). This change the way ULA do their business.

This Space-X competitor forces ULA to change their business model, they can no longer sitting on their butts and charges US Air Force extra cost without any effect on their bottom line.

The new ULA CEO said very simple "we’ve taken about 36% percent of the costs out of our supply chain” after US Air Force gave their first launch contract to Space-X, why didn't they cut the fat some years ago and reduce the launch cost to US Air Force ?

Didn't you guys see the effect of monopoly ? When ULA had exclusive contract with US Air Force what are their incentives to reduce cost ?

ULA had more than 1 decade exclusive contract with US Air Force what were their innovative during that time ? Did they do anything to benefit tax payers ?

Any of you see the benefit of 1 cable TV company serving a town/city ?

Why do you think this is a political thread ?

This thread has nothing to do with any political party, this thread is about the bad and the ugly of monopoly of any kind.

What do you think about using less natural resources and at the same time pay more every month ?

Don't you see the ugly of monopoly ?

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
I hate monopoly.

Except when Elon buys himself a Senator and tries to create his own monopoly by lobbying to have ULA's rockets banned?

What the heck are you talking about ?

The linked article clearly stated that ULA didn't do any positive thing during a decade of exclusive contract with US Air Force, only now after they didn't get to launch the last rocket they now know the possible of no more contract they started cutting cost and started new designs.

You didn't see the benefits of competitions ? You think monopoly is good for consumers ?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I think that the OP wanders around in a "Musk for President" T-Shirt.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Or an "I LOVE Musk" t-shirt.

You two don't see the benefits of competitions ?

What did I say anything about Elon Musk ? His name was in the linked article and edit his name out isn't the correct thing to do.

The main object of this thread is showing the ugly of monopoly and the benefits of competitions.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Do you have any proof that no government contractor operate under the "Cost Plus" contract ?

Did you ever see any defense contractor reports any lost with any government contract ?

Looks like many of you think that US Air Force should never has Space-X launch a satellite few months ago for less than $100 million, they should keep ULA and pay them whatever they demand (almost $200 million), plus pay ULA a billion US dollar a year retaining fee, so ULA executives and engineers can sit on their butts do nothing ?

Do you have any proof that no government contractor operate under the "Cost Plus" contract ?

Did you ever see any defense contractor reports any lost with any government contract ?

So you dodged my question. Nice!

Proof? I've worked on plenty of contracts that are not cost plus. Yes, small contractors have gone broke.

I'm not arguing that competition is a bad thing. In fact, bring it on. But what you wrote just plain hooey.

I predict after a couple catastrophes with manned flights, SpaceX will increase some spending. IF they don't have any issues after, 10, 20, 30+ years, the likes of NASA will change. But for unmanned flights, let's go. If SpaceX has failures, the insurance companies won't cover the payloads.

Boeing, is that you?

Human nature being what it is, the predicted behavior is, well, accurate.

Here is what Boeing had on the drawing board:

sonic-cruiser2.jpg

So you dodged my question. Nice!
Proof? I've worked on plenty of contracts that are not cost plus. Yes, small contractors have gone broke.

I'm not arguing that competition is a bad thing. In fact, bring it on. But what you wrote just plain hooey.

I predict after a couple catastrophes with manned flights, SpaceX will increase some spending. IF they don't have any issues after, 10, 20, 30+ years, the likes of NASA will change. But for unmanned flights, let's go. If SpaceX has failures, the insurance companies won't cover the payloads.

"Proof? I've worked on plenty of contracts" that's what you claim, no proof so far. How do I know you actually did what you claim ?

You want proof of "Cost Plus" contracts ? How about "Boston Big Dig" ?

The original budget was $2.8 billion in 1982 dollars to finish by 1998, actual cost was $8.08 billion in 1982 dollars and finished in 2006. Who paid the cost overrun of $5.2 billion ? The contractors or the governments(Federal and the state of Massachusetts and local) ?
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Dig

If you don't believe wikipedia.org just google "Boston Bid Dig".

How about Defense's cost overrun of billions projects ? Who paid those billions over budgets ? Just do some simple google terms like "Supercarrier Over-Budget" or "f35 over-budget" or any billions dollar project. Most of them were over-budget and no contractor paid any, they all got full pay plus profit. These are few examples of billions of dollars over budget, there are ton of examples if you have time to search for it.

The highway expansions and/or renewals are almost always over-budget and Federal&State governments paid the bills in full.

Quote:
Pentagon Estimates New Aircraft Carrier $370 Million Over Budget.

The cost estimate of the Navy’s second Ford-class aircraft carrier has already jumped by $370 million even though Navy leaders have promised the service has learned from its mistakes that led to $2 billion in cost overruns for the USS Ford.

Source: http://www.dodbuzz.com/2015/05/20/pentagon-estimates-new-aircraft-carrier-370-million-over-budget/

Quote:
Federal auditors are once again sounding alarms over the Pentagon’s embattled F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, which has soared hundreds of billions of dollars over budget.

Source: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/red-alert-billions-over-budget-191100667.html

If you are too lazy searching for large contracts with cost overrun just let me know I will post more links for you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back