What's good/bad about a 2006 Mazda 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my dad now is looking at getting a 2006 Mazda 5. Base model (I assume) with automatic. I don't know much more about it other than the AC needs a recharge. I've read they're not too good in snow because of their low profile tires. What can you tell me about them?

Check for rust underneath, rear wheel wells etc...then just all the other things that would normally be checked out on a 10 year old used car. Maintence records, accidents, mileage discrepancy, how long has the prior owner had it, have mechanic check it out.

Fluid filled motor mounts go bad. Notoriously weak A/C system. The Mazda 5 is basically a van version of the Mazda 3.

Originally Posted By: 2010Civic
"Just needs an A/C recharge" means there is a leak.

^THIS x10!

The Mazda5 is an awesome sporty minivsn. Same suspension as the 3, same wide aftermarket support, lots of fun.

As for the snow, it will be fine if you get snow tires. You can also minus-size
smile.gif

My god those are hideous.

And A/C needing a charge means it has a leak or a bad compressor or other A/C part.

The refrigerant has to go somewhere...

Sis wanted to leave the Jeep Cherokee era behind (18 years of XJ ownership) with fuel mileage as the motivation.

Mazda5 justanother 24 mpg vanlette.

Mazda3iTouring Skyaktiv yields the 40 mpg they promised. Less room, yes.

Somehow I think these lightweight cars need attention and careful second hand shopping. Kira

I currently have a 2009 Mazda5, bought with over 100k miles. The trouble areas are primarily going to be suspension related because Mazda didn't seem to beef up the struts and stabilizer bars to account for the additional weight over the Mazda3, which also frequently have suspension noises and NVH related to motor mounts. You can find threads on other forums where Mazda5 owners have had to replace the rear shocks in just 20k miles.

However, I still prefer this gen to the 2012+ Mazda5 because the newer ones had poor to average crash test ratings.

I believe the thermostat gets stuck open every 80k miles, no matter what you do or how you drive. Kinda a pain in the donkey to replace, if it is the 2.3 engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back