Shelf Life of Gas Stabilizer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A neighbour left this bottle behind when he moved out.

No date code on the bottle but it looks a bit old, best guess around five years. Ingredients are listed as 1,2,4-trimethylbenzene and mineral spirits.

Does anyone know if there will be any harm in using this in my motorcycle tank during storage over the winter?

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
Stabil recommends using their stabilizer within 2 years of opening the bottle

+1 with the 2 years. Just put it in your daily driver and use it that way. It won't cause any harm.

I need stabilizer for my stabilizer?
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: Donald
Two years is or was on the StaBil label. Toss it.

What do you think its going to turn into?

Still, I suppose you don't want to take any chances.

Most stabilizers also contain diphenylamine, an antioxidant. I have had stabilizers on the shelf for 5 years and they never degraded.

If concerned, dump it in your gas tank.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
If concerned, dump it in your gas tank.

Or, do what I did with my last jug of Motomaster stabilizer, "dump" it all over my shelf in the garage. I didn't tighten the one cap right, and pressure caused a whack of the stuff to migrate up the measuring side and make one heck of a mess.
wink.gif

No, they shouldn't be a problem. At least it sort of "dried up" and wasn't the long term sticky and/or greasy mess I was expecting. The bottle wound up being more sticky than the shelf, of all things.

I was using the blue marine stabilizer for some various things, mainly for the generator and a motorcycle not used much. Notice it turned dark, almost black. It was kept in the garage for a couple years or so. Folks here @ BITOG says its time to get rid of it (shelf life) and so I dumped it in the DD and got a fresh bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back