Ford's take on leather care

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is an excerpt from my explorer's owners manual. Can't say its bad advise, but it doesn't go into much detail either! FWIW, I will likely be using up my Meguiars leather cleaner and leather condition bottles before looking for the next best thing.

Originally Posted By: Ford
Vehicle Care 351
2014 Explorer (exp)
Owners Guide gf, 3rd Printing, September 2013
USA (fus)

CLEANING LEATHER SEATS (IF EQUIPPED)
• Remove dust and loose dirt with a vacuum cleaner.
• Clean spills and stains as quickly as possible.
• For routine cleaning, wipe the surface with a soft, damp cloth.
For more thorough cleaning, wipe the surface with a mild soap and
water solution. Dry the area with a soft cloth.
• If the leather cannot be completely cleaned using a mild soap and
water solution, the leather may be cleaned using a commercially
available leather cleaning product designed for automotive interiors.
• To check for compatibility, first test any cleaner or stain remover on
an inconspicuous part of the leather.
• Do not use household cleaning products, alcohol solutions,
oil/petroleum-based leather conditioners, or solvents or cleaners
intended specifically for rubber, vinyl and plastics. These products
may cause premature wearing or damage to the leather.

Have a Fx4 Lariat SuperCrew with the 5.4 modular. Always cleaned the leather seats with those clorox wipes you can buy from walmart and then quickly wiped down with paper towels until dry. Never had one single issue and keeps them clean.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buck91
but it doesn't go into much detail either!

Detail....How much detail you looking for?

Originally Posted By: Warstud
but it doesn't go into much detail either!

Detail....How much detail you looking for?

I was curious about that too... The manual pretty much spells out the basic steps for taking good care of your leather.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
Have a Fx4 Lariat SuperCrew with the 5.4 modular. Always cleaned the leather seats with those clorox wipes you can buy from walmart and then quickly wiped down with paper towels until dry. Never had one single issue and keeps them clean.

That sounds terrible! What year, how many miles? I bought my 96 years back with trashed leather, finally replaced them with something decent last year, but they do require babying. Trying to keep the Exploder from ever getting to that point.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19

That sounds terrible! What year, how many miles? I bought my 96 years back with trashed leather, finally replaced them with something decent last year, but they do require babying. Trying to keep the Exploder from ever getting to that point.

Sounds terrible? Apparently it's been working lol. 2002 F150 with 94k on the odo. Nice red and not a scratch on it :]

I have never spilled anything in the truck so I don't know how well they are at actually cleaning up messes so that is my *******disclaimer******* but they work REALLY REALLY well at picking up dirt/dust etc etc.

Last edited:
Odds are the leather is coated, so you're really not cleaning the leather you're cleaning the coating applied to the leather. If the leather is in fact coated those directions really aren't that bad.

So far I've been very pleased with Chemical Guys Leather Serum. Very durable and creates a slick surface that is easy to clean.

Lexol cleaner and Wolfgang conditioner.

Following the owner's manual will leave you with a pitted steering wheel if it is leather wrapped.

If your seats are perforated then use the conditioner on them as well. The Perforations do not always have the coating where the perforations occur.

Last edited:
I found a detailer on you tube - auto fetish detail - that seems to have high end clients and gives his viewers his advice. He uses Meguiar's cleaner and ultimate spray wax on the interior.

I have used their quick interior detailer along with the spray wax and it seems to do a good job on the Edge. I bought the car on a rainy day, late in the day so it was kind of dirty inside so I followed his advice. As someone has already said the leather is treated with a plastic type substance so you should take care of the plastic. Ultimate wax doesn't turn plastic white and to my nose smells OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back