Subaru Oil Filter Installed in Dodge Ram Trans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 w/dealer towing package; 545RFE trans; 125,000 mi

I recently had my transmission serviced before leaving on a fishing trip in the Sierra Nevada. On the trip I was towing a 2000 lb boat and going up some long, steep grades to higher lakes (ex. 15 miles of 6% to 9% grade). Several days after the steep grades I started noticing a 1 or 2 second delay when accelerating from a stop and that night, while parked at a rest stop, fortunately, the transmission just quit. No response in any gear. I ended up being towed 50 miles to the nearest mechanic.

This mechanic found that the transmission spin-on filter had come loose and was rolling around in the pan. He also discovered that the filter was a Napa ProSelect 27712, an OIL FILTER FOR A SUBARU. (I also discovered later that the first mechanic had added 6 qt of Havoline Synthetic ATF Multi-Vehicle Dexron-VI as part of the pre-trip fluid exchange -- but that's a subject that I'll post in the proper forum.)

My questions are:
1. Could the use of this improper filter have harmed my transmission given the challenging towing I was doing?
2. Could the use of this improper filter have caused the slippage I was experiencing?
3. Should I be concerned about a shorter life on my transmission because of this episode.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and experience!

Dan

So your trans has a spin on INSIDE the trans?

Subara 4EAT use oil filter for trans filter.

Napa proselect = BOOOOO! if uit has combi valve.

If above is tru I wold only use a P gasket filter in this application.

That would be Nissan (see below) or Honda pcx-004 OR Framabaru

GOLDEN RULE:
never do major service RIGHT BEFORE a trip. Maybe two weeks ahead at the least.

Last edited:
To #1 and 2, possibly yes. If the filter media came apart or crud otherwise floated downstream you could have all sorts of problems. With the spin on filter missing you weren't getting oil anywhere in the trans. I'm guessing the delayed engagement and slipping happened as the filter loosened and leaked.

I would be prepared to hear that the trans is smoked.

Id ask the mechanic if the spin on filter damaged or broke the sump filter. Those already have a tendency to come out if serviced improperly. Also have him open the sump filter and inspect for debris.

I'd say the entire episode was because of the internal filter coming loose, thereby dropping pressure throughout the transmission (as it loosened) and then completely disabling the trans when it dropped off.

As for the Dex VI instead of ATF+4... if you didn't notice torque convertor clutch shudder, then no harm done. The only thing I'd really be worried about is if damage occurred during the time the filter was coming loose, due to the clutches not being fully applied and slipping. That can wreck clutch packs pretty quickly. It all depends on how much slippage really happened before that filter fell all the way off and prevented further damage.

As for the fact that it was a Subaru oil filter... If they actually cross-reference to the same part number, then no harm there either. The big problem was it not being tightened properly.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
So your trans has a spin on INSIDE the trans?

The 545RFE and 6xRFE have both a conventional trans pickup filter and a spin-on oil filter that are both accessed when the pan is removed. I believe one or two flavors of GM rear-drive truck transmissions also have that feature. The conventional filter is in the center of the picture below (with the pickup tube that goes down near the bottom of the pan) and the spin-on filter is at the lower-left corner:

rfe_filter_lg.jpg

Seems to me the person/shop that did the transmission service in the first place needs to reimburse you for the tow and damage to your vehicle. Get EVERYTHING documented, keep all receipts, and submit a claim with the original shop that did the work. Keep the Subaru filter as "evidence" in case that particular filter does not cross reference to the OEM filter.

I don't think Id want a painted filter in there. Appears dodge doesn't either.

Flt gasket may have blown out. When you over-torque they distort and creep.

Our transmissions do not use any kind of conventional oil filter. It's kind of a rock-catcher filter, and maybe for good reason. You obviously have to drop the pan to change it, and if it loads up before you get that chance, who knows?

Thanks for everyone's feedback on this. Here's an update:

I took my case to the shop that did the work and told them I wanted reimbursement of my costs and a remanufactured trans from ETE or Jasper. They tried to dodge responsibility (pardon the pun) and told me the following:

1. The trans fluid they used, Havoline Synthetic ATF Multi-Vehicle Dexron-VI, was approved for my transmission. They even referred me to the Product Description web page.

2. They didn't install the spin-on filter since it wasn't listed on my invoice and I didn't pay for it. They even suggested that I could have had someone else do a second transmission service after theirs. I hired them to do a transmission service that includes replacement of both filters and a 6 qt. fluid exchange. No exceptions were requested and no substitutions were requested, approved, or disclosed on my invoice.

I'm preparing for court and have discovered some really interesting info regarding the use of Havoline Synthetic ATF Multi-Vehicle Dexron-VI in Chrysler vehicles. I'll disclose it here later in case my mechanic monitors this board. I'm going to relish getting even for his attack on my integrity.

Stay tuned.

How long did you own the truck prior to the ATF "service"? Did you buy it used or new? How many ATF services to your knowledge have been done? These would be good questions to think about in response to them saying they didn't install the ProSelect filter.

Very interesting about Havoline MV ATF (looks nearly interchangeable with Maxlife) being recommended for ATF+4 applications. I personally wouldn't chance it, but it doesn't sound like the ATF was to blame here either.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Very interesting about Havoline MV ATF (looks nearly interchangeable with Maxlife) being recommended for ATF+4 applications. I personally wouldn't chance it, but it doesn't sound like the ATF was to blame here either.

Ahahh! You you drew the conclusion that Havoline intended. Sales just went up. I can't divulge my suspicions and info yet for fear of being sued but I urge you to examine all your assumptions. One of them could be wrong. Maybe I'm wrong, who knows.

By the way, I bought the truck new and have followed all the maintenance recommendations.

Originally Posted By: dan0928
Ahahh! You you drew the conclusion that Havoline intended. Sales just went up. I can't divulge my suspicions and info yet for fear of being sued but I urge you to examine all your assumptions. One of them could be wrong. Maybe I'm wrong, who knows.

Secret decoder ring data divulged over cocktails with a knowing wink?

I'm preparing for court and have discovered some really interesting info regarding the use of Havoline Synthetic ATF Multi-Vehicle Dexron-VI in Chrysler vehicles. I'll disclose it here later in case my mechanic monitors this board. I'm going to relish getting even for his attack on my integrity.

I'm starting to doubt it as well.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

By the way, I bought the truck new and have followed all the maintenance recommendations.

The point I was getting at is that it's hard to blame the fluid when the filter was literally rolling around in the pan.

Since you owned the truck since new and performed all suggested maintenance, I am assuming you kept the receipts?

Just making suggestions to keep things in your favor.

I'm sorry to have been so "mysterious" in my prior messages. Please accept my apology.

I discovered that the Dexron VI fluid that my mechanic placed in my transmission was recommended by Chevron and I don't think that's right based on everything I've heard. I'm confused and suspicious.

Please see my post titled "Did Dexron and ATF+4 Kiss and Make Up?"

Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is a "dealer installed tow package" entail? Was it an approved MOPAR accessory add done by the dealer or a aftermarket thing?

Also, as to your "integrity", I would be leaving that emotion out of any civil legal action you plan to take and stick with what is provable. I think you got a tough nut to crack here as a lot of what you have stated seems to be a "he said, he said" affair and you may waste more money in legal costs with little to no satisfaction in the end.

2005 Dodge Ram 3500 w/dealer towing package; 545RFE trans; 125,000 mi

I recently had my transmission serviced before leaving on a fishing trip in the Sierra Nevada. On the trip I was towing a 2000 lb boat and going up some long, steep grades to higher lakes (ex. 15 miles of 6% to 9% grade). Several days after the steep grades I started noticing a 1 or 2 second delay when accelerating from a stop and that night, while parked at a rest stop, fortunately, the transmission just quit. No response in any gear. I ended up being towed 50 miles to the nearest mechanic.

This mechanic found that the transmission spin-on filter had come loose and was rolling around in the pan. He also discovered that the filter was a Napa ProSelect 27712, an OIL FILTER FOR A SUBARU. (I also discovered later that the first mechanic had added 6 qt of Havoline Synthetic ATF Multi-Vehicle Dexron-VI as part of the pre-trip fluid exchange -- but that's a subject that I'll post in the proper forum.)

My questions are:
1. Could the use of this improper filter have harmed my transmission given the challenging towing I was doing?
2. Could the use of this improper filter have caused the slippage I was experiencing?
3. Should I be concerned about a shorter life on my transmission because of this episode.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and experience!

Dan

Just thought I'd give an update (and another "thanks") to you all...

In September I took my complaint to the auto repair shop and demanded recovery of my out-of-pocket costs plus a remanufactured transmission (because of the damage that an incorrect trans filter and the introduction of Dexron VI would have caused). The owner effectively told me to go pound sand. So, next I filed a claim with the California Bureau of Automotive Repair accusing the shop of gross negligence bordering on fraud. A couple weeks later, the Bureau informed me that the shop had agreed to have my trans completely rebuilt by a 3rd party transmission shop at no cost to me. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall when the Bureau representative met with the shop! Unfortunately the Bureau won't divulge that information.

I bet the trans takes a metric threaded filter. The 3/4" SAEs will spin on a 20 mm pipe but not have much retention pressure. The 20mm metric ones will not even start on a 3/4" pipe.

At least you knew to go to the Automotive Repair Bureau instead of doing what most people would do:

*Threaten to sue
*Whine to the BBB
*Rag out the shop on the internet
*Other pointless excercises

You hit them right between the eyes with a scalpel. Good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back