Ford 6F55 transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife got a new ride, a 2014 Explorer Sport with the 3.5L ecoboost and 6F55 transmission. Does anybody know about this trans- very little info on google and youtube. Thinking about doing the fluid early since we will be taking this vehicle into the HIGH miles eventually. Pretty much considering dealer fluid exchange vs. multiple pan drops. It would be MC Mercon LV either way.

Didn't see a dipstick, assuming this is set up similar to the 6r80 in my F150 with the mini dipstick/fill plug? What about thermostatic cooler lines?

Explorers equipped with the EcoBoost engine and/or the tow package get the 6F55 tranny (can I still say that?). All normally aspirated Explorers without the tow package get the less-stout 6F50 transmission. I'd suggest you poke around the Serious Explorations online forum for more info about fluid changes, etc. Lots of good guys over there with lots of knowledge to share about the twin-turbo Explorer Sport.

This trans has a drain plug and a drain and fill drops 5~ QTS. We used to drain and fill often in the dealer world. Drop 5qts fill run drop 5 more.

I have a 2015 6f55 explorer and will be draining 5qts every 20k with that oil change.

That lv fluid gets dark fast.

Originally Posted By: MiKe3o
I have a 2015 6f55 explorer and will be draining 5qts every 20k with that oil change.
That lv fluid gets dark fast.

IMHO, that's signs of inadequate operating viscosity in your case .... never mind OEM's lv recommendation.
blush.gif

I don't know, I started swapping out the LV in my boost F150 (3 quarts every oil change) at around 60k. The fluid that came out didn't look much different from the new stuff that went in. The old: [img:center][/
The new: [img:center][/img]

LV is known to darken quickly. I don't have the engineering facts behind it, but I believe ford even released a TSB stating so much and that is doesn't indicate fluid problems.

I have a 2010 Flex with EB and the 6F55 transmission. I'm swapping in a used transmission and a reman torque converter because the torque converter clutch failed at 150k on the odometer. The transmission has a sealed case and a non-serviceable filter. I would suggest two steps you can take now. First, do a couple of short cycle drain/fill sequences to clean out the old Mercon LV - there is a lot of discussion about alternatives to the OEM LV fluid - I would suggest sticking with the OEM Motorcraft LV stuff it if you want a fluid that is certified to meet the OEM specification. There are a few other certified fluids out there, but the OEM Mercon LV is synthetic, considered to be stout, has the OEM additive pack and the dark color does not mean it is actually "worn out". Despite many folks having good success with products like Maxlife, my personal preference is to use fluids that are certified, tested and licensed to meet a required specification. Maxlife is not certified and licensed to meet the Mercon LV specification. Second, consider adding an in-line transmission fluid filter. I've decided to keep things simple on mine and I'm adding a Magnefine inline filter (1/2" ports) on the return line from the transmission oil cooler. This additional filter will help trap smaller particles too small for the internal filter and also help prevent that filter from clogging. Alternatively, you could install a remote transmission filter if you are so inclined.

One other word of advice. If your Explorer is AWD, then it has a Ford PTU in it. Make sure to service that PTU regularly (every 30k or so). I would suggest using Mobil 1 75w-140. Also, if the vehicle has more than 30k miles already, you should exchange the PTU fluid before you do anything to the transmission as the PTU is the higher priority by a very large margin.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Just an FYI on an alternative fluid; Mag 1 LV is full synthetic, $32/6qts, and actually is Mercon LV approved. Nothing wrong with the Mercon, just throwing that out there.

Enjoy the new ride to, those Explorer Sports are fun.

Originally Posted by abs
but the OEM Mercon LV is synthetic, considered to be stout, has the OEM additive pack and the dark color does not mean it is actually "worn out".

Actually Ford does not claim the Mercon LV is synthetic, as they do with some of their other transmission fluids. They call it "premium quality hydroprocessed base oils". That is not indicative of synthetic oil, more like group II oils. Group III base oils which are a hydrocracked base oils are considered synthetic. I'm sure it's good, but their 150,000 mile first drain and fill is "dubious" needless to say
crazy2.gif
. Castrol Transmax Full Synthetic Multi-vehicle is licensed by Ford for their Mercon LV requirements. From Rock Auto I've gotten 12 qts of Mercon LV for ~$60 delivered, a good price. Auto Zone and AAP usually run a 2/qt for $10 for all Castrol ATF's twice a year. Right now until the end of January Auto Zone has this 2/qt for $10 special going on. Either way you will do you fine if changed in a reasonable time/mileage period.

Whimsey

Originally Posted by Whimsey
Originally Posted by abs
but the OEM Mercon LV is synthetic, considered to be stout, has the OEM additive pack and the dark color does not mean it is actually "worn out".

Actually Ford does not claim the Mercon LV is synthetic, as they do with some of their other transmission fluids. They call it "premium quality hydroprocessed base oils". That is not indicative of synthetic oil, more like group II oils. Group III base oils which are a hydrocracked base oils are considered synthetic. I'm sure it's good, but their 150,000 mile first drain and fill is "dubious" needless to say
crazy2.gif
. Castrol Transmax Full Synthetic Multi-vehicle is licensed by Ford for their Mercon LV requirements. From Rock Auto I've gotten 12 qts of Mercon LV for ~$60 delivered, a good price. Auto Zone and AAP usually run a 2/qt for $10 for all Castrol ATF's twice a year. Right now until the end of January Auto Zone has this 2/qt for $10 special going on. Either way you will do you fine if changed in a reasonable time/mileage period.

Whimsey

Ford has spec written as the base fluid has to meet group III performance meaning there can be group II but then group IV and or V has to be blended to meet the performance parameters. LV is a higher spec then can be met with just group I and II baseoils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back