no oil changes on B&S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that I had a Tecumseh powered machine that I used for fourteen years on our large lawn, large enough that all of the neighbors have riders of some kind, and may have changed the oil once or twice. Having paid $70.00 for it on clearance, I wasn't too concerned about caring for it. I just used it for probably 400 hours.
The engine held up just fine although consumption reached about two ounces an hour.
The poor thing had carb problems and the last straw was when the O-ring at the dipstick base blew out.
I replaced the blade once on this machine and other than that gave it gas and oil.
What I'm saying here is that these little splash lubed engines are tough and will last for many hours as long as they have adequate oil levels.
Changing the oil is nice and good practice, but the engine will run well beyond the life of the machine as a whole as long as the oil level is maintained above some minimal level.

Our Tecumseh is right behind yours in terms of consumption. Every other mowing job will bring it around the half way mark. It turns the oil some funky brass metallic color so it get 2 oil changes per season plus top offs.

Right now it's getting some PYB2 10w40 (hardly used.. long story.), but when that is gone I am considering some 20w50 just because.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back