School decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would try and contact some individuals who graduated with that diploma and ask them what they think of the program. Forty some years ago I decided to get out of teaching and enrolled in a well know aviation school with a history dating back almost to the beginning of aviation. I didn't do enough research and the school turned out to be less that what I thought it would be. That school now has one of the worst ratings in the aviation industry. The internet is loaded with comments about how bad of an experience it was attending that school. Actually the school calls itself a "college" but there is nothing college about the place. Just a money grubbing money hole for some scam artist who have latched on to the federal government loan money. The quality of education there is low and the place runs on government loan programs.

Lots of community colleges are now called a 'College' cause they offer a few bachelors degrees, the rest (90%) are associates degrees.

Looks like the typical community college automotive program curriculum.

NavyVet88,
I thought you were interested in welding and finished a welding program last year ?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Lots of community colleges are now called a 'College' cause they offer a few bachelors degrees, the rest (90%) are associates degrees.

Looks like the typical community college automotive program curriculum.

NavyVet88,
I thought you were interested in welding and finished a welding program last year ?

I am interested in welding and I will be finishing the welding program this December. I am looking at automotive tech. Just because it's something I've always wanted an education. For fun I guess you could say. I've already made contacts with employers in the welding industry around here and I'm gaining some ground with that. Essentially the automotive program at my school is something I want to do for fun and the gi bill will pay for it plus my housing allowance to boot.

For automative, I have been of the mindset that Wyotech offers one of the best programs out there. For the OP, there is a Wyotech campus in Daytona, FL.

Florida is a little outside of my situation as far as being able to travel for school.

This is and I would always try for a non profit college vs for profit.

You will certainly end up taking additional specific courses for new technologies or specialized equipment.

College will give to the basics to get in the door.

I finished college in 1976 but have proably taken another 25 or more classes over the years. (Computer field). Point is your never done learning.

I got my A.A years ago & am ASE Master Certified. Worked in dealers for over 20 years & it's a good paying career, especially in California. With the future of cars becoming more autonomous, I'd recommend looking at electronics/software for a career path. I recently left the auto repair field for repairing automatic guided vehicles for the county. Either way, look for a county/city job as the benefits are very good. I lost my future pension from International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers Union due to the "bailout" of the auto industry years ago. The pension system will run out of money by 2030, way before I was going to retire. Welding is also a strong field. Automotive is, in my opinion, going downhill. Most shops have more parts changers at a lower pay scale & only 1-2 techs who can actually diagnose to stay profitable.

Originally Posted By: mehullica
I got my A.A years ago & am ASE Master Certified. Worked in dealers for over 20 years & it's a good paying career, especially in California. With the future of cars becoming more autonomous, I'd recommend looking at electronics/software for a career path. I recently left the auto repair field for repairing automatic guided vehicles for the county. Either way, look for a county/city job as the benefits are very good. I lost my future pension from International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers Union due to the "bailout" of the auto industry years ago. The pension system will run out of money by 2030, way before I was going to retire. Welding is also a strong field. Automotive is, in my opinion, going downhill. Most shops have more parts changers at a lower pay scale & only 1-2 techs who can actually diagnose to stay profitable.

I think the benefits from gov jobs are not sustainable and will be cut back in the near future. NY state for example has a tier program and people hired today are in a high tier number and not so generous benefits.

That is a basic trade school program with a little foolishness like General Psychology and Art Appreciation OR MUS-101 Music Appreciation (What is that other than a time filler) thrown in for good measure, not much more.
The plus point is it gives you a degree albeit only an Associates, the certificate will be almost worthless down the road the degree can be built on and always have value.

Trade school is 4 yrs but half that time is spent on high school academics, its good enough to get you in the door but you wont be anything near a qualified mechanic and certainly not good enough to work on flat rate but...
You would be in a better position to be a service or fleet manager than a regular monkey with the Associates so its a good thing and its not a bad course curriculum at all.

Some of the highly rated tech schools probably offer a better practical education but not a degree so what you are looking at is IMO a good way to go.
Believe me the last thing in the world you want to be is a mechanic for the rest of your life, I did it for a long time but got into the managing/supervisory end of the deal before I got burned out with the whole business.
There is no way in Hades you want to be doing this work other than for fun when your 50 believe me, I know a lot of guys who did and they were miserable.

49.gif

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
For automative, I have been of the mindset that Wyotech offers one of the best programs out there.

Before you sign on the dotted line with Wyotech, make sure you find out the total cost of their program. It's not cheap.
I've worked with a Wyotech graduate and he wasn't so great. (Of course, half of any class graduates are below the 50% mark)
I do know that he was saddled with a huge amount of debt.
Also mark me down as suggesting that you don't want to do it for the rest of your life. Flat-rate can be a real downer, especially doing warranty work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back