Parking lot accidents involving backing up

Status
Not open for further replies.
These accidents are common, and avoidable if more people did one important thing:
geico-more-CarSafety-post-2016.jpg

I was out today and the parking lots were busy with Sunday shoppers. Did some people watching and 9 out of 10 people backed up only turning their heads a little to the left and right, basically parallel to their shoulders. You can't see anything BEHIND you that way. They were using the side mirrors a little but that's not enough. What's scary was that once the butt of their cars were out of the space, most people just looked straight ahead while STILL backing up! Sure, most of your car is out but not all of it. Clueless pedestrians and running kids can still pop up at any time.

OK, I'm off my soapbox now.

There is a reason I always try to park as far away from the store as possible!

And I always back in to a parking spot. Makes it easier to see getting out. To be honest, I can't see straight out of the back of the Focus - which is the case for most cars now - but I can guarantee there's nothing in the space I am backing into.

Backing accidents are always your fault.

So, I back into every parking spot if I can't pull through to the other side. Driving past the spot, you can see that it's clear before backing in. If you pull in and back out of the spot, you're not as readily able to see what's behind you. Many professional drivers are instructed to do this.

Plus, I'll have a head start on all of you snacks once the zombies come.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440

So, I back into every parking spot if I can't pull through to the other side. Driving past the spot, you can see that it's clear before backing in. If you pull in and back out of the spot, you're not as readily able to see what's behind you. Many professional drivers are instructed to do this.

Doesn't matter you are backing out or straight ahead out of a parking spot you are at fault for any accident.

People reach that age or have physical limitations when they can't do proper head checks when backing out of a stall. Construction work kills my body. Backing in and minimizing head checks makes it easier for me.

Driving my work truck and going to Costco just frustrates me. I use teleportation instead.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Doesn't matter you are backing out or straight ahead out of a parking spot you are at fault for any accident.

Perhaps I didn't explain myself correctly.

Backing accidents, parking lot or otherwise, are always your fault.

The benefit to backing into a parking spot is that you can drive past it to make sure it's clear. You'll also have greater visibility when departing straight ahead. Many professional drivers are instructed to do this.

Also, your pope quote is inaccurate.

I always park out far enough from any store that backing is never a problem as I can always go straight ahead. Now not getting run over while walking to the store is another problem.

Passing by and then backing doesn't necessarily mean it's still clear unless you are parking in an isolated area. In a Walmart type lot people can surprise you in all directions. I don't like backing in because the odds of me hitting another vehicle are much greater than going in front first. That's just a matter of life once you're a senior with weaker vision, and having a stiffer neck and back. I don't dare back into my garage as I figure the odds are 10X greater of hitting something. Once centered on the way in, it's a snap to come out straight. My depth perception when parking in a lined space is a fraction of what it used to be. I'm often too far out or too far in. None of this happened 5-10 yrs ago. I can look left, right and left again before turning right, yet invariably some jamoke is screaming up out of a blind spot to suddenly appear. Between kids running around, entitled drivers not paying attention, and seniors who just don't see or sense like they used to challenges everyone out there.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I'm not an owl. I can't turn my head all the way around like that guy

you dont' have to be an owl.

Just requires not being lazy. Same applies to doing lane changes.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

I can't twist my neck and back like that.wait till your old too lol

I guess this is why backup cameras are about to (or already have) become required equipment.

Just looked it up - required on all new vehicles by 2018.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
This is why GOVERNMENT MANDATED backup cameras.
Cameras won't fix stupid.

^Correct. But, as a society we will TRY to make everything in life idiot-proof. Unfortunately, stupidity is an overwhelming force of nature. Since technology allowed us to overcome nature to a great extent it will be stupidity that does us in.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

I can't twist my neck and back like that.wait till your old too lol

Exactly! I'd have to get out of the seated position and put one knee on the seat to be able to see directly behind me. And then I'm not on the pedals any more. It's not easy. Same problem when riding a bike. I can probably turn my head to a 135 deg position....but nowhere near 180 deg. To get any more means moving the entire body. If you told me at age 55 I'd be like this in 5-7 years I'd have no believed you. Unless you're a Yoga Instructor, things are gonna change when you head over the hill.

Perhaps I didn't explain myself correctly.

Backing accidents, parking lot or otherwise, are always your fault.

The benefit to backing into a parking spot is that you can drive past it to make sure it's clear. You'll also have greater visibility when departing straight ahead. Many professional drivers are instructed to do this.

Also, your pope quote is inaccurate.

My Honda S2000 has fairly long nose, I had a difficult time seeing either left or right when I get out of parking spot straight ahead(after backing into parking space). backing out in that car is easier because I can see traffic as soon as the rear bumper is about 3-4 feet from surrounding vehicles(vehicles parked on left and right).

One of the most difficult time is get out of parking space, if someone likes to scam insurance they can easily do it in any parking lot.

When I went grocery shopping yesterday I decided to actually look into the cars.

You guys are right. A lot of people just look forward ... not at the mirrors. And these cars didn't have backup cameras.

It's crazy

I always look for a parking space where I have no need to back-out. Don't care if it's 500ft from the front door of the building I'm entering/ exiting. Cars have existed for almost 100 years without backup cameras. If there's only one parking space left in the entire parking lot, I will back-in to it. That's safer than backing out of a space.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back