Strong Hurricane Pointed at Florida?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bbhero
How many model forecasts have you ever looked at?? 0. I've looked at thousands of them. It's not rocket science learning how to understand and read them. Once you understand the parameters, how to interpret them, and when to take them seriously it is not all too hard. This last winter the major east coast storm I had a better idea what was going on then the world champions on local TV. .

Remember superstore Sandy?? Every person around here in southeast Va were buying all kinds of stuff for no reason. Why?? The storm was hitting north of our area and we were going to be on the weaker southwest side of it. We never lost power, minor damage. I was in line at the grocery store laughing at everyone. I had a some water 1 gallon which I buy normally anyway, two bananas, and some yogurt.

Now going back to Hurricane Isabel.... far different circumstance. This area was squeezed between high pressure to the north and the low of the hurricane, plus we were on the northeast quadrant which is the strongest part if the storm... far worse of a situation. The models were all very consistent for the last 7 days where that storm was coming ashore. That was a big deal.

I've been reading and understanding these forecast models since 2004. I don't... like you... have to rely upon what someone else thinks or interprets the models are forecasting. Eliminate the middle man. It's been very nice.

I have a ton of respect for the very good weather forecasters out there... and there are some very good ones at the local NWS Wakefield weather office. John Cash who was on channel 10 was very good as well. This area in southeast Va is especially hard in the winter time due to numerous factors.. . 1) if a storm is formed south and west of here where is the track at.. 50 miles can make a HUGE difference in what happens. 2) if the storm is forecast to form off the coast of Cape Hatteras how fast will it deepen?? 3) track of that new storm . Miller A type storms can be a bit "easier" to forecast but still can be hard. Miller B storms are very difficult for a variety of reasons. So yeah, these guys in this area have a rough time in difficult circumstances. Whereas areas north and east of here say up in the Sterling forecast area or Mt. Holly Philadelphia area usually have a fairly known quantity approaching so its a bit easier there. Though even there a difference if 50 miles in track has big impacts on what happens.

Again, I enjoy being able to take information and interpret it myself in a fashion that makes sense. Just like day after Christmas storm in 2010 here. When the fools on TV were saying 2-5 inches of snow.. I told my co workers at 3 pm that we were going to see 9-12 inches and up to 14. This was what I had figured out from the GFS and NAM models by taking the rain equivalent and changing it into snow using a 12:1 ratio. I broke it up into 6 hr blocks of time (from the models time UTZ) and came up with 9-12 possibly more. Well well... by 6 pm the champions on TV finally figured out what I had 12 hrs earlier in the day.... and greatly changed their forecast and said EXACTLY what I had told my co workers earlier. And I told them that I just didn't pull the numbers out if thin air... I had done the math, upper air thickness values were supportive of snow, and the track was in line for a big event for Southeast Va. And guess what?? Norfolk had 14.3 inches if snow. The hospital had close to that much as well. And, I didn't need anyone else to figure it out for me. But, you do.

I took a couple of meteorology classes back in college and although my depth of understanding forecast models isn't as good as yours I understand what you are talking about and you would be better than most meteorologists. The ones around here except for one forecast what the models tell them and can't forecast more than 2-3 days in advance reliably, at best.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Well, we need the rain on the East Coast. It's been in the 90's and no rain. West coast has been clobbered. I've been in Florida for four hurricanes and I think they are overrated. Been in Tornados and North Eastern blizzards and I think both are worse. Tornados terrify me the worse. Watched one level a Amish Barn like nothing. Got way too close because of lack of fear. But Hurricanes, you can go out afterwards, blizzard , you are stuck for days, sometimes weeks. Hey, if a woman can go over Nigeria falls in a Barrell, I can survive a hurricane under my work bench.
Tornados are definitely worst than hurricanes. 2-3 day warning vs 10-15 seconds. Just ask my brother. He rode out all those storms in 04 and lost a few trees. Moved to Dallas area. Last December a lot of his house was blown all over the county. What didn't pile up in the living room. They barely made it to the laundry room. I'll take hurricanes.

I would gladly agree with anyone living on the Gulf coast, the Atlantic coast south of Cape Hatteras down to Key West should buy batteries, bottled water, and non perishable food prior to say August every year. Included in those areas would be areas from the coast well inland say up to at least 150 miles or maybe a bit more inland. The possibility of these areas seeing a category 3 or stronger hurricane is certainly possible. It's just a different ballgame in those places. Yes, there can be category 3 storm that hits the northeast coast like the Long Island express hurricane of 1938, Hurricane Bob in 1991, or Superstore Sandy. But FAR more category 3 storms hit points south of Cape Hatteras, around the peninsula of Florida, into the coastline of the Gulf of Mexico. Look back to the 2004 I believe it was when Florida was hit by 4 category 3 or stronger hurricanes. The strongest hurricane to hit the United States was the Labor Day hurricane of 1935 which was a category 5 which held the lowest barometric pressure of 26.35 all the way until 1988 Hurricane Gilbert finally broke that record.

The scenario that causes the forecasters to wake up in a cold sweat is this.... say a storm located southwest of Tampa, St. Pete gains strength into a minimum hurricane at 75 mph pressure at 974 mb at say 1500 on a Friday afternoon in early September. It's over the Loop current which is a deep warm water current with temps running greater than 32°C, upper level shear is very low, high pressure building aloft... Overnight this storm rapidly deepens at an explosive rate.. pressure drops from 974 mb all the way down to 880 mb, winds go up to 180 mph sustained and now it's a category 5 storm. And this storm is heading northeast towards Tampa, St. Petersburg. Pandemonium the next day is sure to ensue. People went to bed aware but not super worried about a minimal hurricane only to wake up to a catastrophic storm capable of decimating an entire region. Don't think this could happen??? Look up Hurricane Wilma in 2005. This hurricane did just this... I guruantee that the National Hurricane Center have the great fear such an event could EASILY happen given the right atmospheric conditions come together.

The weak part of hurricane forecasting is not the track part... it's the intensity forecasting that is very problematic. Look up Hurricane Wilma's strength forecast when it first gained hurricane status. 24 hours forecast had it at maybe 100 knots... Guess what it was actually at that time?? 150 knots!! Goes without saying that there's a whole ton if difference between a category 2 storm and a category 5 storm. This is the scenario that makes the NHC and local forecasters up at night around Florida and the Gulf coast. In October of 1995 Hurricane Opal went from a minimal hurricane at 75 mph to a category 4 hurricane with winds at 150 mph overnight. Now it did weaken as it headed north ward due to getting caught up some westerly shear. But this did spook the NHC and forecasters along the Gulf coast at the time. It's only a matter of time before this does happen again.

Last edited:
I am well prepared for anything from a hurricane to a Chinese invasion. You really need to live in Florida to appreciate how they try to cause panic. Even if you are Hardcore, I am having a keg party type of guy, one radio station will have you questioning if Florida will be attached to the Continental United states after this one. My house has hurricane shutters, I have Four big generators, a enclosed trailer wired for electricity and about 3 months of food and water and they still cause anxiety.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
A month with no electricity after Andrew in 1992.

2.5 months WITHOUT electricity during the 2004 Hurricane season in central Florida. Hit by 4 Hurricanes. It was a brutal year.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I've been in Florida for four hurricanes and I think they are overrated.

I sorta agree with this. For the most part, Most hurricanes are just a large wind storm. I've had more damage during an average afternoon severe thunderstorm than most hurricanes. Anything category 3 or lower, my house is fine. Category 4 or 5, I'm leaving my house and staying with relatives 3 hours away.

^^^Likewise. Just had an afternoon thunderstorm last week that had 75 mph winds and dumped 2.5 inches of rain in less than one hour.

Be prepared, but don't get all excited too early. No one anywhere can accurately model the weather, it's just too complex...

If the current tracks continue and you live in Fl, you might want to think about preparing later this week. Both the major global models have a FL cost landfall on Sunday. After landfall, the models have drastically different outcomes. Not trying to scare anyone.

Well this is looking like a no big deal for Florida after all. . No surprise here. Upper level winds are stronger than forecasted earlier this week. The GFS model didn't show it hardly developing at all a day and a half ago.

I will say that once into the Gulf of Mexico it could develop into something of more consequence.

Last edited:
Unfortunately there is a lot of fear mongering that goes on with hurricanes.

Try living in Florida. Everyone is your "Hurricane Preparedness" expert. Even when nothing is out there, you're being told that even though we haven't been struck by a serious storm in years, we need to get ready for the end of the world.

I spend about 1 hour preparing for a hurricane at the start of season. I have never evacuated for a hurricane, and likely never will.

Landfall of a Cat5 has only happened a few times in recorded history, and never in the Broward or North Miami area.

Hurricane scare is a big boon for the local economy, especially for price gougers. I stay calm and pay little attention to anything but the NOAA map every so often.

Lived in Guam for 10 years and you do fear the typhoon...same as a hurricane, just different location. Anyway, akin to what others have said, you keep a stock pile regardless and just rotate them as time goes on so that they don't spoil and remain fresh. The only run up on supplies you'd see is folks getting bread, milk, ice and charcoal. Everything else to survive on like food, water, batteries, fuel, generator,etc. etc. have already been purchased and stockpiled.

They are talking about what's left of that low pressure system to come up the Mississippi and drench the Midwest.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
My pool didn't even gain more than an inch from this "beast". What a shock.

An inch is more than 0.5" we got since early April and don't expect to get any until sometime in November(or December).

Yah, weather guys on the local CBS have a radar set up in Wistah, that has a 150 mile range. I made sure that the flash lights all have fresh batteries. I had to scrape a few contacts on the grounds. I have 5 working now. I have a very balky and cumbersome 5 KW generator That I can usually get to function. At most it has 50 hrs on it. 30 yrs old and a beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back