Pump vs auto loading Shotgun

Status
Not open for further replies.
I survived an armed invasion 6 years ago with my fists.
I'm ashamed to admit I'm in the gun business but I will tell you this.
I keep my vast collection of all guns locked up and most are even hidden from view.
When I walked into the middle of it all, every bed was flipped over and every bureau-desk dumped out onto the floor.
If I had anything loaded I would have ate it. I took several hits to the head from a non functioning pistol as I choked out the intruder in my bathroom. I thought someone poured water on my head but it was blood. I didn't feel the pain but leaving guns laying around wouldn't help much. The only thing that would have worked here was walking into the house armed. And no this was in farm country and not the inner city.

Even these below would have helped me none- I'd rather have a shotgun.
I love it when people say no one would ever bother me because I'm a big shot gun collector- lol
You assume they know you- most don't..........

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Get a pump.

The sound a pumping action itself is enough to scare a home invader.

Many years ago I heard some noises, at 3am, in the front of the house..I put on a bathrobe and took my Star PD (1911 style .45) which I kept in condition 3 and went "cocked and locked" condition 1 and put the pistol in the bathrobe pocket clasping it in my hand.

Checked the rooms as I went forward in the house..and found only one person in the house.

Found the prowler in the living room at my now opened front door. Told him to leave or "I would have to hurt you"..my wife and new-born daughter were asleep in the back of the house.

The prowler started to approach me (talking about how he needed some money for his landlady, etc) and I backed up and repeated my warning. He continued approaching and I turned my body with the pistol still in my hand in the pocket and started to make my draw, clicking the safety off as I began my draw.

The prowler never saw the pistol..but when he heard the "click" on the safety..he recognized the sound and knew he was about to be shot. (my pistol is not for intimidation display..once drawn..it will be used)..he bolted out the front door, jumped my fence and ran down the street with olympic speed.

I suppose a shot-gun would of had the same effect and maybe I would not of been challenged jacking a round into the shot-gun in the back of the house and moving forward..then again the prowler would of known immediately I was armed with a shot-gun too..and maybe tried to hide, ambush, attack and disarm me. If there had been two prowlers..one could of baited me with the partner hiding and jumping in..you never know.

I would rather the bad guys remain ignorant as to my defensive capabilities till the very second I need a weapon..hard to do with a shot-gun..

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
Hi, I am interested in a shotgun for home defense and a few outings to the range a year.

You think a few outings to the range a year will get you competent to defend your home? If so at least with a shotgun you stand a chance of hitting the bad guy rather than a bunch of misses with a handgun in a life or death situation all amped up with adrenaline.

Bill460 gave good advice, shoot a CASE, not a box of ammo through the shotgun. Then find time to shoot boxes of ammo every month.

When little to no regular training is expected a bear size pepper spray and/or a stun gun or stick might be more appropriate and effective.

A pump. Lower cost, it will always function and stick with 12g. You can get lower power law enforcement loads to keep recoil manageable. With some practice you can shoot almost as fast as a semi using the recoil to help cycle.

I have all these and some - several are 12 guage - but enjoy shooting the smaller shotguns. With your body size try out the
20 ga pump - don't pay more than what an 870 costs.

You can read up on how to load them for self defense - I played around with a sheet of plywood at 15 feet - 8 shot, 6 shot ,
4 shot, buckshot - 4 shot made a hole like the buck round - those two rounds looked like a bleed out to me ...
(I was looking for impact with less collateral damage - and still hit a rattlesnake if I had too)

As mentioned the worry with a pump is that you could short stroke it. Whatever you get, shoot the ever loving dickens out of it to make sure it is reliable and you know how to operate it well.

I started out with an old Stevens 520 police riot gun for a pump, then evolved to a Winchester 13000 Defender, and eventually ended up with a tactical Remington 1100 that I built.

For a current production pump I would recommend the Mossy 590 for an out of the box gun. For a semi auto, the FN shotguns would be hard to beat.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
As mentioned the worry with a pump is that you could short stroke it.

I've shot pump shotguns since I bought my first one in back in the 1970's. I even shot doubles in Trap with one for over 2 years, when I was young and money was tight. And I'm not getting any of this "short stroking" talk about pump guns? It's a natural action to operate. You pull to the stop, and you push to the stop. You're only talking about a few inches, that is a completely natural motion to complete uninterrupted. Much like swinging a baseball bat. You have to try to check your swing in baseball. It's not a natural act. What is there to "short stroke"? I'm not saying people don't do it. I'm just not understanding why or how, speaking as someone who has fired thousands of rounds through them over a 4 decade long period...... And never once, "short stroked" one.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
As mentioned the worry with a pump is that you could short stroke it.

I've shot pump shotguns since I bought my first one in back in the 1970's. I even shot doubles in Trap with one for over 2 years, when I was young and money was tight. And I'm not getting any of this "short stroking" talk about pump guns? It's a natural action to operate. You pull to the stop, and you push to the stop. You're only talking about a few inches, that is a completely natural motion to complete uninterrupted. Much like swinging a baseball bat. You have to try to check your swing in baseball. It's not a natural act. What is there to "short stroke"? I'm not saying people don't do it. I'm just not understanding why or how, speaking as someone who has fired thousands of rounds through them over a 4 decade long period...... And never once, "short stroked" one.

I have seen it at the range more than once. New shooters, especially ones of short stature seem to do it the most often. That is why I said in the same post to shoot the dickens out of the gun. Build a familiarity and muscle memory with it as well as to just make sure it functions right.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
I'd like a 28ga O/U.

For self defense? Feel like giving the bad guy a fighting chance? About the only thing a 28 gauge is decent for is small upland birds like quail and doves.

Some well placed #4's from any gauge will ruin an intruder's day. The 28ga is especially fun at skeet and easy on the shoulder.

You are correct sir - My camp is a long way back in the marsh - dead end road. All I carry anymore is a .410 pump with a selection of ammo - it will generate more velocity than the popular pistols based on the .410 - and IMO less likely to be hassled by the authorities when in an area full of snakes. (Talked to a peace officer about this).

Originally Posted By: totegoat
Some well placed #4's from any gauge will ruin an intruder's day. The 28ga is especially fun at skeet and easy on the shoulder.

I sure hope you mean #4 buckshot and not birdshot, because birdshot won't reliably put down bad guys even from a 20 or 12 gauge. #4 buck is even rather marginal...I personally would not use anything less than 00 buck.

From an O/U you better hope your aim is good, there is only one intruder, and you don't need to reload the gun under stress.

I have an old Lee Enfield converted to 410....it is fun to take to shoot clays with, but I would NEVER consider it for home defense unless every other firearm I had was not an option for some reason.

Last edited:
My shotguns are in the safe. For HD, I keep a .40 ready with 140gr Barnes TAC-XPD.
The OP is asking about a pump vs auto shotgun. There are many to choose from.

Heard this debate for 20 years - not all gun types agree - and those who say nada will not volunteer to demonstrate ...

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
Hi, I am interested in a shotgun for home defense and a few outings to the range a year. I have used a shotgun back in my younger years but it is been a while since. From what I remember The recoil was always a bit of an issue. I am looking at pump versus semi auto shotgun's now. As a point of reference, I am 5 foot 6 and 150 pounds. As far as the recoil and reliability, any suggestions on one type versus the other as well as gauge choice? Thanks

Remington 870 Express Junior 20 gauge. Cheap and reliable pump action shotgun with low recoil.

Birdshot gets into the blood vessels and can block blood flow. So the after effects can be very nasty if the shot person survives.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Birdshot gets into the blood vessels and can block blood flow. So the after effects can be very nasty if the shot person survives.

Yeah...great...all the better...more justification for the attacker to sue you later...

Look, if you're using a shotgun for self defense, you have to select shot that actually defends you in the moment, not minutes later when the pain makes the attacker collapse... birdshot simply doesn't work as reliably to stop the threat as other shot choices, as for example, buckshot.

If you're legitimate in your defensive use of a firearm, then make certain that your ammo supports that use.

As far as gauge, well, choose the gauge that you can reliably shoot and that you're willing to practice with. I don't care if it's 12, 20, or 28 (though I might not chose .410), as long as you practice with it and can hit targets with it, any shotgun gauge will suffice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back