16 Frontier fluids for tcase, diffs, tranny?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like these:

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Here would be my recommendations (I have a 2012 PRO-4X)

Front diff - Amsoil or Redline in API 75W90.

Transmission - Redline MT-85 75W85 GL-4 Gear Oil or Amsoil MTF

Tcase - Any DexIII/Merc equivalent with a kinematic viscosity of 7.0 cSt@100C .

Rear diff - Amsoil or Redline in API 75W140.

Any of the above are superior to the Nissan OEM fluids, IMHO.

My wife has a 2013 Xterra Pro-4x with automatic transmission. Last weekend at a tad over 40k miles, I finally was able to change out the driveline fluids:

Front diff - Mobil 1 75w90
Rear diff - Mobil 1 75w140
Transfer case - Valvoline MaxLife ATF
Transmission - Valvoline MaxLife ATF (simple drain and fill)
Engine - Mobil 1 0w40 and M1-110 filter

The fluids in front and rear diffs didn't look terrible, but the magnets did have quite a bit of debris. The transfer case and transmission also didn't look bad, but the fluid did look used up. I may do another drain and fill on the transmission at the next OCI for good measure. I have always changed the oil every 5k miles on this vehicle and see no reason to change that, but I may continue to change the other fluids at either 30k or 40k miles.

Thanks for the post.

Have almost 1800 miles on the truck now and hope to get everything changed out this weekend.

Your comment on the magnets is exactly what I'm looking to avoid/mitigate.

Changed ATF (fill and drain). Transfer Case. Front and rear Differentials today.

ATF-Amsoil signature series fuel efficient ATF (blue bottle) meets matic S spec

Tranfer Case-Amsoil signature series ATF (red bottle) meets matic D spec

Front Diff -Amsoil 75w90 gear lube

Rear diff- Amsoil 75w140

My Xterra has 17020 miles on it. Bought it brand new 18 month ago. None of the oils looked bad at all but I was very surprised at the amount of
accumulation of [censored] on the plug magnets. Got done late so could not take her out for a drive. Will do that first thing in the morning. The Transfer
Case and Front Diff have a different crush washer than what the oil plug has.The part # from Nissan is 11026-4N200 it is more like a washer. I also
swapped out the drain plug for the transmission with a Dimple magnet plug #M12X1.25X12 this same plug I use on my oil drain plug.

I know. I committed sin. I did not use Nissan matic D or S as specified by Nissan. I visited lots of other sights and so many other people are using
so many other products than the matic S or D with no ill effects. I will chime in if my Xterra blows-up or the tires come flying off.

Hope this may help someone. I know I have got lots of help and info from this sight.

2500 mile oci is pretty ridiculous in my opinion. I would use a good synthetic and 5000 mile oci instead of dumping oil that often. Unless you drive 2500 miles every year, then an annual oil change maybe.
For all the diffs and stuff, I would get on redlines website and see what they recommend. Smoothest shifting oil in the manual trans of my old frontier was redline mt90.
I was looking at the 16 frontier, but wanted a 6 speed. Don't need 4x4 but wanted a 4 door, you either had to put up with manual locks and windows or spring for the expensive 4x4 models. Ended up ordering a forester with 6 speed and keeping my old truck.

Originally Posted By: mattri
Your comment on the magnets is exactly what I'm looking to avoid/mitigate.

.... then use thicker oil or as specified , never thinner 'equivalent' oils.
blush.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back