Fuel Economy with Mobil 1 Extended Perfomance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil 1 versus Mobil 1 EP, same viscosity, there is no fuel economy difference.

The only difference is M1EP is designed for extended oil change intervals, up to 15,000 miles. So M1EP can have an economic return if you use it as intended.

If you change from xW40 to xW20 you should see some MPG gain, changing from xWyy of 1 type/company to xWyy of another type/company will not yield any measurable MPG difference.

EP won't necessarily get you better fuel economy, unless you run it to 15k when it shears down, so the thinner oil will get you *slightly* better mpg.

Instead, consider AFE

Todays oils all pretty much give the same MPGS with the same specs as energy conserving oils are equal to PAO oils. that being said just because the Extended Performance oil last longer doesn't mean it is a "better" oil it is potentially a longer lasting oil. Those that buy the oil and run it a short distance are actually misunderstanding the application of the oil.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
EP won't necessarily get you better fuel economy, unless you run it to 15k when it shears down, so the thinner oil will get you *slightly* better mpg.

Instead, consider AFE
I have run both oils and I never noticed any calculated mpgs in my use.

the 1/4 to 1/2 mpg gain from fuel saving oils is not as good as the thicker films of engine wear savings from higher viscosity oils IMO. i recently switched from amsoil to the better priced mobil I XP as amsoils tight lipped policy leads me to believe they are using group III oils like most everyone but charging $$$

Originally Posted By: benjy
the 1/4 to 1/2 mpg gain from fuel saving oils is not as good as the thicker films of engine wear savings from higher viscosity oils IMO. i recently switched from amsoil to the better priced mobil I XP as amsoils tight lipped policy leads me to believe they are using group III oils like most everyone but charging $$$

All speculation.

No.

I am firm in the belief that any fuel economy differences you get between different oils is going to be unnoticeable and irrelevant. Even switching viscosities isn't likely to give a noticeable fuel economy difference. I have switched to 5W-30 in 5W-20-spec'd engines & have noticed no difference in fuel economy.

Originally Posted By: Branson304
No.

I am firm in the belief that any fuel economy differences you get between different oils is going to be unnoticeable and irrelevant. Even switching viscosities isn't likely to give a noticeable fuel economy difference. I have switched to 5W-30 in 5W-20-spec'd engines & have noticed no difference in fuel economy.

Try 15W40 or 15W50 then 0W20 will yield measurable MPG gain of about 2-3%, more for short trips.

When I first bought my Fusion I used M1 5-30EP. After a few OCIs I changed to M1 0-20AFE and did notice the highest MPGs ever for the car. About 1MPG gain. I have now used AFE for several years with success.

Originally Posted By: Branson304

You will see a difference in short trip mileage when stepping up to heavier oils, but it is highly unlikely that there will be any measurable difference on longer trips. Likewise you probably won't see any difference in long trip performance when switching to a lighter oil.

Some cases in point: our 2010 Civic was switched from Mobil1 5w20 to Mobil1 0w20 EP a little over a year ago. We've seen no change at all in MPG, no matter what the conditions. Our 2001 Volvo was changed from Mobil1 5w30 High Mileage to Mobil1 0w40 at the beginning of this summer for towing season. Short trip mileage is down 2 MPG, or close to 10%. Regular commuting, or 19 miles each way, the mileage is unchanged. On one lengthy highway trip the mileage was actually better than usual, but that is a single data point.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wolf_06
I was wondering if it has any other benefits, like fuel economy, versus the regular Mobil 1.

Thanks!

Not that I've ever noticed. Never noticed on Mobil AFE either.

I have used 5w20 Motorcraft, 5w20 M1, and M1 0w20 EP. I got the same mileage with all in my 2006 Focus. I run the EP version now to extend the OCI since I put a lot of miles on driving to work.

I noticed zero change in fuel economy switching from one OE synthetic to Mobil 1 0W-20 EP. However, I now consume no oil unlike before! It's great stuff and with the $12 rebate it's almost free.

I have no consumption in 12k with 0w20 EP on an engine with 152k on it. My engine likes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back