Anybody into Motocross?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the sport and am in awe of what the top guys can do. I used to race when I was younger but not at the pro level so I have an idea of how hard it is to do what the professionals do. And now the tracks are so fast with so many crazy double and triple jumps it's just amazing the watch. It's my favorite sport to follow. Anyone else?

I started riding Dirtbikes in the 70's. Raced in some local series. Was a big fan of the Superbikers Racing Series they used to televise on TV. I've had several Dirtbikes over the years, and still have one. These days I only ride it occasionally, because I'm busy with my job and other interests.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
I love the sport and am in awe of what the top guys can do. I used to race when I was younger but not at the pro level so I have an idea of how hard it is to do what the professionals do. And now the tracks are so fast with so many crazy double and triple jumps it's just amazing the watch. It's my favorite sport to follow. Anyone else?

There's a sportbike stunt show at the Auburn Car Auction this weekend that I am making an effort to see. Aside from that, I wouldnt know the first thing. Seeing how you're from IN too, maybe it's something you'd like.

Don't follow it anymore as the heros are too short lived sometimes 1-2 seasons. and then they are gone.
We had guys with Charisma that lasted a while like - Bob Hurricane Hannah, Jeff Ward, Marty Smith, Johnny Omara " The O Show", and Roger Decoster.

I raced 125 intermediate, 250 pro, and did some open class racing as a kid, and did pretty well.
I dont think I could even ride around some of these tracks anymore.

Super Hunky, Rondo Talbot, Vic Krause and all the great writers are gone and no charisma to replace them.

I still ride casually and can actually ride, but with age meaning I don't heal WHEN I crash, and the loss of a kidney due to cancer I got a cage and mostly ride around in a SXS.

UD

I raced a little as a younger teenager. 125 2 stroke i enjoyed it. I never had the funds to be an avid racer, and my parents didnt really support it as a sport.

I saved up and bought dirt bikes in pieces of craigslist. assembled them and raced when I could. I wasn't great at it, but i wasn't the worst.

Now that im grown and can afford it ive lost interest in the dirt world and do all of my riding on the street.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

There's a sportbike stunt show at the Auburn Car Auction this weekend that I am making an effort to see. Aside from that, I wouldnt know the first thing. Seeing how you're from IN too, maybe it's something you'd like.

Never been to a superbike stunt show though I'm sure I'd like it. I'm originally from Southern California and grew up in the 80s when MX was big down there.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
I raced a little as a younger teenager. 125 2 stroke i enjoyed it. I never had the funds to be an avid racer, and my parents didnt really support it as a sport.

I saved up and bought dirt bikes in pieces of craigslist. assembled them and raced when I could. I wasn't great at it, but i wasn't the worst.

Now that im grown and can afford it ive lost interest in the dirt world and do all of my riding on the street.

Id rather read about you than a racer. Used to be the gap between the stars and regular guys was a lot smaller.

I'm only interested in what a regular guy has to deal with to build and keep his bike running that what a bunch of guys on a sponsored racing team that never have to worry about anything do.

Media is not geared to the regular guy anymore.

UD

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Don't follow it anymore as the heros are too short lived sometimes 1-2 seasons. and then they are gone.
We had guys with Charisma that lasted a while like - Bob Hurricane Hannah, Jeff Ward, Marty Smith, Johnny Omara " The O Show", and Roger Decoster.

I raced 125 intermediate, 250 pro, and did some open class racing as a kid, and did pretty well.
I dont think I could even ride around some of these tracks anymore.

Super Hunky, Rondo Talbot, Vic Krause and all the great writers are gone and no charisma to replace them.

I still ride casually and can actually ride, but with age meaning I don't heal WHEN I crash, and the loss of a kidney due to cancer I got a cage and mostly ride around in a SXS.

UD

Wow you bring up some fond memories. I was too young to see the Hurricane in his prime although I do remember him regaining his form a couple of years after he moved to Honda. He was the fastest guy out there until he got hurt. Rick Johnson was my favorite rider. Super Hunky! Yeah I remember that name!

I agree the modern tracks are insane. I catch the live motos on promotocross.com and then youtube some of the old school motocross. I just can't believe how much the sport has evolved. They fly twice as high and go twice the speed. I have a lot of respect for some of these modern riders like Roczen, Villipoto, and Tomac.

I have a lot of respect for some of these modern riders like Roczen, Villipoto, and Tomac.

I am in awe of their skill and athleticism , but the gap is too big for me to visualize even playing a role in any more.

Back in my time I could actually race on the same same tracks as the big boys. If you didn't do the double you could still win- there was alway a feeling that maybe one moto, once on my best day I could run with hurricane/ward/roger etc....- he couldn't possibly take me at turn 2 at sparland any faster than I did today.....

Now if you don't make make the triple not only can you not win- you might die.

Its become a radical 1/100th of 1% sport that only a handful can even participate in anymore.

Big souring point for me was when I had to junk a 7 year old yz450 because no mechanic could rebuild it for less than what an entirely new engine cost.
Never had a 2 stroke dirt bike I couldn't afford or find a way keep running- never.

UD

UncleDave,
Did you ever race on the National circuit? Hat must have been pretty cool.

I agree the sport is no longer accessible to the common person. But I feel that way about most pro sports. If you don't have a special genetic advantage (or a good supplier of synthetic "help"), it's pretty much game over. Heck my uncle races mountain bikes in senior 50 and over classes and even some of those guys are taking stuff. And these are just weekend warriors.It's crazy times.

That's interesting about your YZ 450. What year was this? Because I remember in the mid to late 80s parts for my RM125 were still pretty cheap so I can rebuild the top end and even the tranny for a few hundred bucks. I got out before the 90s and lost touch with the evolution of the bikes.

UncleDave,
Did you ever race on the National circuit? Hat must have been pretty cool.

I agree the sport is no longer accessible to the common person. But I feel that way about most pro sports. If you don't have a special genetic advantage (or a good supplier of synthetic "help"), it's pretty much game over. Heck my uncle races mountain bikes in senior 50 and over classes and even some of those guys are taking stuff. And these are just weekend warriors.It's crazy times.

That's interesting about your YZ 450. What year was this? Because I remember in the mid to late 80s parts for my RM125 were still pretty cheap so I can rebuild the top end and even the tranny for a few hundred bucks. I got out before the 90s and lost touch with the evolution of the bikes.

Ha I wish - Even if my skill allowed my budget didnt. I was regional i raced in the Chicagoland/ Peoria/ Iowa area, don't remember our AMA designation, but did take my dirt bikes on vacations, and had an great aunt living in Anaheim wed road trip out and ride all over I remember coming out here to saddleback and Elsinore compared to the cornfields and well known hills and gravel pits in our area it was like mecca.

Im thinking that 450 was a 2000- still pist about it.

UD

Last edited:
ah saddleback park. Loved the atmosphere but it was truly one of the worst motocross tracks in So. Ca. (along with Carlsbad). By mid-morning on race day, it basically became concrete with a layer of dust on top that made the track very slippery. I remember going into corners in late afternoon motos and just sliding out for no reason. On real dirt, I can pretty much feel myself losing control so it wasn't a surprise when I went down. But at saddleback, you could be doing everything right and the next thing you know, you were on the ground going wttf? Still, I loved the place because there was so much history and atmosphere there.

Never been to Elsinore. Been to Glen Helen (best track ever), Indian Dunes and Adelanto (both closed now). Those were the days.

ah saddleback park. Loved the atmosphere but it was truly one of the worst motocross tracks in So. Ca. (along with Carlsbad). By mid-morning on race day, it basically became concrete with a layer of dust on top that made the track very slippery. I remember going into corners in late afternoon motos and just sliding out for no reason. On real dirt, I can pretty much feel myself losing control so it wasn't a surprise when I went down. But at saddleback, you could be doing everything right and the next thing you know, you were on the ground going wttf? Still, I loved the place because there was so much history and atmosphere there.

Never been to Elsinore. Been to Glen Helen (best track ever), Indian Dunes and Adelanto (both closed now). Those were the days.

You never rode the [censored] we had in the midwest, and least you had geography out here to work with. Maybe it just seemed more exotic because I was in the land that was written about- no one writes about old ugly hill at sparland or the sparland MX track - when I came out here I felt like somebody (even though I wasnt) its amazing what self esteem can actually do.

UD

When I was riding, I always envied you guys in the east because you read about the loamy tracks like Unadilla, Red Bud, Millville, etc. In so. cal. all we had was hard packed blue grove type stuff. Glen Helen and Indian Dunes could be exceptions on days they trucked in lots of sand. But our tracks did get a disproportionate amount of press since MX Action, Dirk Bike and Cycle News were in So. cal. Did you ever ride at Red Bud? That seems reasonably close to where you were.

I'm now an old guy, and clearly, my reaction time has diminished. Even so, dirt bikes are my first love. I ride a KTM 380EXC. Not motocross, but it's pretty hard core. What disappoints me is the loss of that "man and machine" bond I had when young. I did some motocross in high school, and graduated to enduro during college. All of it was really fun.

The motocross guys clearly operate those bikes as if they were part of the machine. I'm particularly impressed with the 450 riders. Those guys are truly awesome!! And the technology continues to improve every year. The weight of the 4 stroke bikes has come down nicely too, and HP has gone up. I'm even impressed that KTM now makes competitive motocross bikes...

I've concluded that my slow reactions have completely eliminated that feeling of oneness between man and machine... Leading to poor results. As a former A Class enduro guy, it's just sad that I'm now an "F" for fail...

KTM.JPG

Last edited:
Because I remember in the mid to late 80s parts for my RM125 were still pretty cheap so I can rebuild the top end and even the tranny

I had an 80 CR125 king that year. Loved that bike

I had an RM 100 before that- loved that bike.

i had a yz 80 before that- loved that bike

Back then parts were cheap and it was a good thing as

I didnt make much money in the 5-8th grade aside from shoveling snow and mowing lawns and detasseling corn.

UD

I had both 1984 RM125 and RM250s. To tell you truth, I was too small to ride the RM250 at the time since I was still growing and must have been around 130lb at the time. It was fun on the straightaways but I couldn't really control it well in the nasty whoops and turns. I loved the 125 because I can throw that sucker around and just keep it wide open most of the time. It was lots of fun.

I got rid of the 250 a couple years later because I couldn't afford to keep both bikes in tip-top shape and I preferred to ride the 125 anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back