TPMS rebuild kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they last around 7 years. I have an 2007 vehicle and 1 of the monitors quits working about half way to work.

When I ordered tires from DTD for my grandmother's Grand Caravan, I also ordered the TPMS rebuild kit. It never showed up, didn't notice until I got to DT to get them installed. They didn't want to, but I made them throw in the rebuild kit for free.

So pay attention that they actually come.

Tire stores will recommend a rebuild kit whenever new tires are mounted, similar to the same frequency that they install new valve stems. As you mention, it is just cheap insurance. I guess you could only have a rebuild kit put in whenever there is a leak on the valve stem. but then you may have to pay extra, as it will involve deflating the tire to do the job.

So far at 10 years my wife's 2005 Explorer's TPMS's are working fine. She just had new tires installed and took a 1500 mile trip.

Whimsey

Don't worry about the metal ones until the vehicle is about 7-8 old then replace the TPMS units with the tire change that comes around that time.
The rubber ones are just a regular valve stem with an additional mounting point for the TPMS unit, these are as durable as regular rubber valve stems so it doesn't hurt to change them every other tire change.
These kits are not rebuild kits just valve replacements, its the battery that ultimately spells the demise of the sensor and there isn't anything you can do about it.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
So far at 10 years my wife's 2005 Explorer's TPMS's are working fine. She just had new tires installed and took a 1500 mile trip.

Whimsey

Her Explorer should use the band type sensors. No rebuild necessary on those as they usually get replaced from shops breaking them before they go bad. My work is not immune, we had a older tech who was really good but constantly broke those. We always would know he broke one when we heard a whole string of 4 letter words come from the tire machine.

Those kits usually include something like valve core, lock nut, washer/seal and cap.
The concept is that the lock nut and washer/seal should NOT be reused; then rebuild the TPMS valve stem with a new valve core for good measure.

If/when a sensor goes out, you can opt for standard rubber valve stems (if you're cheap), however your TPMS dash light will stay on indefinitely. IMO, not worth it with any low-profile tires.

Originally Posted By: Donald
DTD sells a TPMS rebuild kit as an add-on with a tire purchase. What is it and why would I need it if I was just getting new tires, same rims?

not needed.

The only reason why you would need a rebuild kit, is if for whatever reason, the shop removed the TPMS sensor from the wheel.

All is needed is to remove the Schrader valve core to allow more rapid deflation. No rebuild kit is needed.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Whimsey

Her Explorer should use the band type sensors. No rebuild necessary on those as they usually get replaced from shops breaking them before they go bad. My work is not immune, we had a older tech who was really good but constantly broke those. We always would know he broke one when we heard a whole string of 4 letter words come from the tire machine.

grin.gif
I guess my indie mechanic who has been installing her tires on this Explorer has done a decent job all these years.
32.gif
Would love to get a basic Mustang with the 5 speed manual tranny. Has the quality of this tranny improved?

Thanks, Whimsey

grin.gif
I guess my indie mechanic who has been installing her tires on this Explorer has done a decent job all these years.
32.gif
Would love to get a basic Mustang with the 5 speed manual tranny. Has the quality of this tranny improved?

Thanks, Whimsey

What year? The Mustangs have been all 6 speed since 2011. Mine is actually alright, just took 2 replacements to get a good one. No way would I put it in my 95, I am getting a TKO-600RR for that one once I get the motivation to rebuild the engine and diff.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
grin.gif
32.gif

Thanks, Whimsey

What year? The Mustangs have been all 6 speed since 2011. Mine is actually alright, just took 2 replacements to get a good one. No way would I put it in my 95, I am getting a TKO-600RR for that one once I get the motivation to rebuild the engine and diff.

Thanks, I'm just looking at a 6 cyl manual tranny, new. They are the Chinese 6 speed I guess. Are the new ones any better than the earlier models?

Thanks, Whimsey

Just a few days ago I find a flat tire (TPMS). I haven't had a flat in many years (can't say the same for the wife - I think she sweeps into the right turn curbs where junk settles). Took me a moment what the lighted icon was. I like the system.
Aired up, made it to DT and they fixed me up.
Anyway my DD (2010) I have the original TPMS sensors. The few sets of tires I've gone through at DT they never said a word about the sensors. New recent bought tires and still DT doesn't mention anything.
I noticed when I aired up to pressure the icon light was still on. I aired up to 10psi over the placard then noticed the icon cleared (no longer lit).

Had a friend go bozo as his truck TPMS icon came on. He gave up, took it in they cleared it - it was his spare tire.

I have a press in wheel stud that was spun . Searched , no luck. It has on the head an H , underneath that the numbers stamped 5419 FCA.I would like to know who manufactures this stud. The under head length is 2.2.35 approx, overall length is 2.65. The thread length is 1.50 with the nurl , as far as I can makeout is .550 . Any help would be great.

Originally Posted By: rwood
I have a press in wheel stud that was spun . Searched , no luck. It has on the head an H , underneath that the numbers stamped 5419 FCA.I would like to know who manufactures this stud. The under head length is 2.2.35 approx, overall length is 2.65. The thread length is 1.50 with the nurl , as far as I can makeout is .550 . Any help would be great.

Are interested in who manufactured the stud so you can get reimbursed for the work involved in fixing this? If so, I think you are barking up a dead tree. FCA is Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, so they would be the ones who would know - and they would be the ones to handle the warranty - if applicable. It is very likely not, as these types of parts are only sort of covered by the original vehicle warranty.

But if you are interested in replacing the stud, any parts store will have replacement studs (although not every store has every replacement part in stock, but they can be ordered.)

But was the problem the part that the stud presses into? In that case, you don't need to know who made the stud. You need to get a replacement for that part - and again, FCA would handle the warranty - if applicable.

When I bought my Tundra, it was 3 years old, with a new set of tires. And a slow leak in one or two tires. Sometimes it'd lose a few pounds over the week--sometimes not. I bought a new set of tires and had the TPMS rebuilt; the shop could not get the valve core out of one of the units. But clearly the rebuild kit hadn't been used at the dealer during CPO process.

Leak went away. Dunno if it was the rebuild or not. I do know my metal stems were corroded, and I strongly suspect I'll be up for new sensors (or none) at next tire change, no matter when it occurs.

. Thanks, for the info. The knurl on the stud is the issue, it has been spun down. I need to replace the stud. I checked most after market stud carriers manufacturers, no luck. I will check fiat/ chrysler. thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back