Plastic rivets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two plastic rivets I need to install on my rear bumper, do these require a special rivet gun or can I use the one I already have? I guess I could pick up a HF special for under $20, but it would be nice to just grab a few 1/4in plastic rivets at Napa and call it good...

What type of car is this? Are you adding these in addition to what's on the bumper? Are you replacing damaged fasteners that you removed to remove the bumper?

Post a picture

Its just a trim piece- the plastic step cover on the rear bumper of my F150. It has a plastic rivet holding the very bottom edge below the license plate area. Terribly non-critical and I will just end up using the regular push-in style if nothing else. OE was a plastic rivet though.

When I bought my Mopar tow hook kit for my Jeep, they came with plastic rivets since the bumper cover needs removed. The instructions recommended using pliers.

Install the rivet, hold down the head with one pair and pull the tab back with another. Personally, I found the box end of a small ignition wrench to work better for holding the rivet in place.

I've had my bumper cover off other times before and just went to black zip ties.. they are in the wheel well and hardly visible.

A pop-rivet tool with interchangeable collets is good to have. It'll work on plastic or aluminum rivets of differing sizes.

Doesn't every plastic fender liner have at least a couple of rivets along with 10mm nuts on cheap studs?

Kira, thats what I was wondering. Would my regular pop rivet tool work on plastics before I went out and bought something. Glad to hear it should- and that there are other ways which work well if it doesn't!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back