Pump vs auto loading Shotgun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am interested in a shotgun for home defense and a few outings to the range a year. I have used a shotgun back in my younger years but it is been a while since. From what I remember The recoil was always a bit of an issue. I am looking at pump versus semi auto shotgun's now. As a point of reference, I am 5 foot 6 and 150 pounds. As far as the recoil and reliability, any suggestions on one type versus the other as well as gauge choice? Thanks

Pumps will work with most any ammo. Autos can be somewhat temperamental. So from a self defense standpoint it's pretty hard to beat a pump. Mossberg 500, 590. Or the Remington 870 are all good choices. As is the Maverick 88. Whatever you wind up with, oil the he!! out of it and run a case of shells through it. It will prove out it's reliability, as well as slick up the action, and get you used to it. All of that is important if you're going to use it for self defense.

A pump is going to massively cheaper than a semi. A Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 are generally the most popular pump choices and are available with shorter barrels better for home defence type scenarios.

I'm not much bigger than you are (a touch taller, about 12lbs heavier) and have no issues with the recoil from my 500 shooting 00 buck, slugs...etc, but this is of course an individual thing. Keep in mind, guns like the 500 have healthy shoulder pads which really help with the recoil. So if your experience was with an old 870 duck gun with a wooden shoulder pad, one of these newer guns will feel quite a bit different.

There is also the option of going to something like a 20 gauge instead of a 12 if the recoil is too much.

Can't go wrong with a solid pump like the Remmington 870 or Mossberg 500. That said, I've put THOUSANDS of rounds downrange with my 11-87 and the only time it gets finicky is with underpowered hand loads, and that was many years ago. Of course, I also am pretty anal about keeping it clean which might help.

Either way, make sure you spend lots of range time with your new purchase. You need the muscle memory to cycle the action, flip the safety and possibly even reload while in a VERY stressful situation. During this time, you will also be able to experiment to see if your gun prefers a certain ammo.

As far as recoil, yes a gas gun (gas operated semi auto) does shoot softer but its not a HUGE difference. I would consider going with a 20ga if that is a concern for you. What do you like about a shotgun for HD? Perhaps a pistol-caliber carbine might be a good option as well?

Originally Posted By: CT8
Why a shot gun?

more cumbersome than a hand gun !! but i can tell you i would be scared [censored] staring down the barrel of a shotgun....i had a mossberg maverick 88 with the 18.5" barrel, it was a nice handling gun , but had a healthy recoil with the slug barrel on it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
Mossberg 500A is a pump action.
590 works well also, much heavier, lightens the recoil.

I agree. I had to carry one of these on patrol very frequently while I was in the navy and we had to know how to break it down, clean it and put it back together and the quality of construction on these guns is astounding. Especially after repeated use and abuse in the field. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of these over an 870 any day...

The moss erg is built like a tank and you will be able to pass it down to grandchildren with ease.

Just to add on to the suggestion for the Maverick 88. I know a guy who recently picked one up. Not a bad gun, but I was NOT impressed. Plastic trigger guard, and generally a cheap feel.

As a general rule a semi will have lower recoil... not sure how SD ammunition availability is in anything other than 12GA, would guess not good.

I've seen many choke in an emergency situation with a pump. Short cycle it and get confused.
As many said whatever you get- use it and get good with it. If not you may fail when the time comes.

The sound part is true and I lived that one.
Had some thieves at my mothers house knocking on the door in the very early AM checking to see if it was safe to steal.
House was usually dark. My brother cycled his pump shotgun out of sight in another room and the guys eyes lit up and he excused himself quickly from the property. Priceless!

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Get a pump.

The sound a pumping action itself is enough to scare a home invader.

Get a pump.

No, it's not. And if it is. Charging a semi will sound similar. Then after it's charged it's easier to shoot and no worries about short stroking. The only benefit a pump has for most people is much lower cost of entry for similar quality.

Last edited:
I have a pump and want to get a semi some day. The gas system will eat some recoil. Saiga 12 please.

Originally Posted By: Al

or let them know where you are at.

Exactly. The moment an intruder inside your house figures out you know he is there is when the bullets/buckshot/slugs hit him.

Last edited:
Pump = Lower cost, more reliable, lighter weight but more prone to user error if not VERY familiar
Auto = Higher cost, can be finicky with different types of ammo, a bit heavier, a bit more user error proof

Either way you can't go wrong as long as you put a few hundred shells thru them and know that both you and shotgun will work when you need it the most.

I have both styles and would be hard pressed to only pick one shotgun.

Please don't rely on the stories of criminals running from the sound of a pump gun! Thugs who are drunk, high or mentally deranged will not even register that sound. Other criminals and terrorists don't even care if they die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back