Grease darkening quickly on bicycle bearings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently changed the grease in my bike pedals from a plain white lithium grease to Valvoline GM/Import. I flushed the bearings and bushing out and have greased them 2x since. The Valvoline grease seems to be darkening much more quickly and becomes thinner than the previous grease did. I don't feel any play in the bearings, and they don't normally see any wet weather.

Is this residual grease reacting with new, or just the nature of the new grease ?

Probably just the nature of the grease and the application. What pedals are these? I've overhauled a few pedal bearings over the years, but generally they are not worth the effort.

How do the bearings feel, nice and smooth or gritty? If you cleaned everything up nicely before re-greasing and didn't over tighten them I wouldn't worry about color much at all. FWIW, I would look towards a grease designed for water washout resistance in this application. A Specialty like Phil Wood, or any marine grade grease...

They are speedplay x-3 pedals. They have one ball bearing (cartridge type) and a bushing. They feel smooth with no play. They have a grease port, so re-greasing is quite easy. Overhaul only requires removing a c-clip and 2 torx screws.

I'll chalk the color up to normal and maybe find a new tube of Phil grease next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back