Factory fog lights...common wiring and wattage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I'm looking at scoring some 4" fog lights from a local wrecking yard for my Ranger. I can make a bracket to fit almost any round fog from 3.5" to 4" or so, and I'm looking at Protégé 5's, Toyota seqoias, ford expedition and some escapes....there are no Rangers in this yard, but that would be the obvious solution.

I believe most of my wiring should be there in the truck, but I want to make sure the wattages are roughly the same. I keep reading that most factory fogs run at 55watts.

Thanks for any help.

Ryan

Why not get some LED pod lights on Amazon? They're like $20 for a pair, and actually have great reviews. I know a couple people with them and they say they're nice and bright, haven't died yet.

Get some Hella fog lights
smile.gif

Most fogs take the H3 bulb.

danielsternlighting.com goes into gory detail.

The wiring will be miserably thin gauge; you'd do well to run 12 or 14.

Thanks guys, I may very well go the aftermarket route...there are some nice ones, as long as they look close to stock.

I have some 12 ga. wire I'll probably use with some decent heat shrink.

I figured what better way to spend a Sunday morning than digging around at Pick and Pull? lol

Thanks for the replies.

Ryan

Not sure about Canada but in most US States the fog light must turn off when the high beams are activated. If not they will cause a failure in the safety inspection. So make sure that works after the install.

But I agree the aftermarket LED ones work well, last longer, and will use less power. The kits should have everything you need to install as well.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
The OEM fog lights on my Protege5 are worthless. I wouldn't get them unless you just want a fashion accessory.

That is all they are anyway.

What are you trying to accomplish with fog lights? Most of them are simply designed to allow you to see the road lines in really bad weather, not give any meaningful down-road light. They also can over-power your near vision at a detriment to long range.

If you're looking to improve your lighting for off road or empty back roads, I'd just look at some quality driving lights instead. You might even find some that will fit your factory locations.

Thanks guys, I honestly just wanted to fill the plastic covers in my bumpers first, and possibly add a bit of lighting if things got really bad this winter.

I've honestly never had a ton of use for fogs, I may pick up a set of driving lights, worst case, use the wiring kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back