Preferred SUV for snow: Large FWD or smaller AWD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently have a FWD Nissan Rogue. Thinking of trading it in for a new one that is AWD. However Pathfinders are on sale too and the AWD version of it is a little more than I would want to spend. I would like to get some input on larger SUVs that are fwd vs smaller ones that are AWD and your experiences in snow. Also would like to hear from Pathfinder owners how they like the car.

I had a 2003 PathFinder and it was great on snow. Gave it to my daughter.

We now have a TrailBlazer and a 2012 Frontier and both are great for bad winter weather.

My friend has a Nissan Xterra and he says it is really good in bad winter weather.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Carbon12
Currently have a FWD Nissan Rogue. Thinking of trading it in for a new one that is AWD. However Pathfinders are on sale too and the AWD version of it is a little more than I would want to spend. I would like to get some input on larger SUVs that are fwd vs smaller ones that are AWD and your experiences in snow. Also would like to hear from Pathfinder owners how they like the car.

Just buy yourself a set of snow tires.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Just buy yourself a set of snow tires.

+1, unless the OP already has them?

Winter tires are more helpful than AWD, IME.

Snow is all about the tires. More than about the car/truck ...

There is even a re-capper in the mid-west that will sell you a set of off-road tires with ground glass in the tread rubber. They are killer in the snow and bite well on ice. No studs and you won't get shut down for town driving on them.

They do not stop as well as all season tires in the dry though ... And they are not available for sizes like the Rogue. They are only in full truck sizes (pick-up to 18 wheelers) ...

I get by with winter tires and FWD here..if I were you, why not trade to a rogue with AWD? You might not like the pathfinder, test drive it first...and a set of winters on steelies will help you even further.

I'd choose smaller AWD. For snow, obviously AWD>FWD, and other things being equal, smaller vehicle also means shorter braking distances which becomes even more important in snowy/icy weather.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I didn't even know it snowed much in Missouri?

Maybe they travel far in winter? Dunno.

No matter what--snow tires first, drivetrain second. AWD and AS's might get you going in a straight line; but snows will brake better, and more importantly steer better.

Bigger taller heavier things tend to do worse in snow. When they break loose they make bigger holes in the woods. The extra ground clearance is nice in the deep stuff but I've been kinda surprised at how little will hang up my truck--in the end, unless if it's inches of extra clearance, I don't think one gains that much more snow depth, going from middling to large vehicle. Once it starts to pack under the lowest spot, one is in for fun.

Have to say, I kinda look forward to snow in my overgrown station wagon (which has snows and a cap). I turn off TC and leave it in RWD. It's squirrelly but that makes it fun.
lol.gif
I snap it into 4HI when I want to stop the fun 'cuz it's a bad thing to go through intersections sideways.

Originally Posted By: Olas
I'd rather have FWD with snow tyres and a diff, compared to AWD with al season tyres and a button for 'snow mode'

All cars have diffs. Do you mean you'd rather have an open diff with no fancy ABS systems offering traction control?

I know in my truck, which has open diffs at each end (and its part time transfer case has no differential), the brakes are used for traction control. And it's ok in the light stuff. Sorta. I find better results turning it off. It's probably the bees knees once going, to prevent oversteer; but it's useless when stopped, when a small amount of wheelspin is crucial.

I haven't decided if I could "live with" a FWD CUV. Seems... wrong. My Jetta did give me problems at times, even with snows; all that weight over the wrong end meant it did struggle at times (struggle as in stuck). Fine 99.9% of the time, but that one time per winter...

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I didn't even know it snowed much in Missouri?

Quote:
Snow has been known to fall in Missouri as early as October, and as late as May. However, most of it falls in December, January, and February. As one would expect, the northern counties usually get the most snow. North of the Missouri River the winter snowfall averages 18 to 24 inches. This average figure tapers off to 8 to 12 inches in the southernmost counties. It is unusual for snow to stay on the ground for more than a week or two before it melts. Winter precipitation usually is in the form of rain, or snow, or both. Conditions sometimes are on the borderline between rain and snow, and in these situations freezing drizzle or freezing rain occurs. This does not usually happen more than five times in a winter season.

Drive a Subaru in really bad winter conditions and you'll get a really good impression of the value of AWD. Even on AS tires, it really is magic.
For around 3% of the days each year, AWD is really nice to have. For the other 97%, AWD represents excess weight and complexity offering lower fuel economy.
If you face enough real winter that you're thinking about the need for AWD, take the advice of others in this thread and invest in a set of dedicated winters. These tires are also magic in really bad winter conditions although they're typically pretty awful on dry roads. We had a set of Blizzaks on one of our old Accords and they really did transform the car's performance in bad winter conditions.
A set of dedicated winter tires would obviously be a whole lot cheaper than buying a new CUV with AWD.

Originally Posted By: NibbanaBanana
I watched a few youtube videos where AWD turned a relatively straightforward and routine repair into an extremely expensive nightmare.

You can watch any video on a car brand or even feature and think it's a nightmare. The reality is these things might happen to a small percentage of owners but the balance get wonderful service.

Winter tires definitely help but in deep snow conditions, ice, mud, or steep hills good awd systems with good in snow all seasons easily move you.

Originally Posted By: NibbanaBanana
I watched a few youtube videos where AWD turned a relatively straightforward and routine repair into an extremely expensive nightmare.

I spend way too much time online looking at cars. Anytime I start looking at one in particular, and then start looking for what problems it might have, it seems at that point all I can find is horror stories. Internet amplification can make a ppm failure seem like every single unit has that exact problem.

AWD will cost more to do some things, sure. It's just another cost to be weighed. Can't have it all.

I second the advice about front wheel drive and snow tires.

I've been surprised what my Honda Accord can do in really bad winter conditions with that combination. It might do more with additional ground clearance.

As one example I had to drive 1 1/2 miles in heavy drifts on a gravel road followed by 1 1/2 miles of deep ruts that had been further drifted in overnight. That was followed by a couple of hundred miles of icy pavement. Lots of worried passengers but no problem.

I wouldn't trade in anything until I had tried 4 wheel snow tires. I had Dunlops purchased in 2007/8 on low cost alloy wheels. The wheels corroded severely and considering the age of the tires I recently recycled both.

I have Dunlop snow tires for my BMW as well but it is limited by ground clearance.

Snow tires should be the narrowest tires and the shortest rims recommended for your vehicle. Some are better for ice and some for snow. The tirerack wensite has excellent information on snow tire selection.

When I lived in Colorado outside of Denver I had FWD with a good set of snow tires for winter. Never had a problem getting around.

Heh heh. Snow tires and a shovel. VW bugs are great in snow , except for a wimpy defrost. Grand Wagoneers with AWD are pretty good. Not impressed with FWD, they are pitiful on snow covered hills. I prefer a LSD in a RWD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back