Carlson Slide Pins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our brakes were making a grinding sound and felt "gritty" in the pedal.

Turns out that the front passenger side lower pin had "seized" and was rusty and rough causing the pad to wear unevenly. I'm going to replace the pads and hardware along with the pins. I've only ever done pads, hardware, rotors...

...so are Carlson slide pins a good aftermarket option? Or should I run to the dealer?

And what's everybody's favorite brake lube and why? JUST KIDDING! Not gonna open that can of worms
grin.gif

Those pins are fine. Mostly need to keep god boots sealedto keep water out or any of them will rust. I like the green sythetic grease that I think permatex makes. Work pretty good. Any of them are fine if you can keep the water out. Get new boots.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
Those pins are fine. Mostly need to keep god boots sealedto keep water out or any of them will rust. I like the green sythetic grease that I think permatex makes. Work pretty good. Any of them are fine if you can keep the water out. Get new boots.

10-4, will do. I usually use the Raybestos, are they considered "good"? Thanks!

I've used all types of parts store brand caliper pins. Living in Michigan, usually the weather takes a toll on the grease before the pin itself could go bad on its own. Since switching to silicone grease (been using Motorcraft XG3A but will be changing soon), I've had less pin problems.

Originally Posted By: ryan2022
I've used Carlson pins before and had good luck. They have a nice quality. I actually tracked my car for a season with calipers rebuilt with those pins.

No concerns here.

Thanks! And that's the CX-3 that you tracked?

I wouldn't be surprised if it had the same braking setup as our CX-9, they seem like a sedan braking system and not fit for a crossover/SUV.

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
10-4, will do. I usually use the Raybestos, are they considered "good"? Thanks!

I liked my Raybestos hardware. It all looked very close to the OEM stuff, and didn't seem to have any little pitfalls associated with installation.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
That Permatex green goop will swell the lower pin bushing on Toyota brakes and make removing the caliper very difficult. I won't use an Permatex brake grease as I think their product deteriorate the pin boot. Up to you.

I always replace the boots and hardware, just not the slide pins. Until this time. Since I'm replacing the rusted slide pins on one caliper should I go ahead and replace the slide pins on the other caliper? Or would it be better to keep the OEM slide pins if they look to be in good shape? Thanks!

Just did my titan, rotor,pads and hardware. As savage said's above, the boots are inexpensive. I also used carlson pins and their boot kit from Rock auto. As for brake grease, Napa's Sil Glyde #765-1351, good stuff and a tube is inexpensive also. Getting ready to order rotors and hardware again thru Rock Auto, for our jeep, they're fast shippers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back