Another Cool Pawn Shop Find!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
While out wondering around with my wife, I came across a Pawn Shop and found a nice Remington 550-1 .22 automatic. Shoots short/long/ long rifle ( haven't seen that in awhile). Really nice shape. Butt plate is cracked, stock looks good, nice cherry wood. Serial number is 77. Two digit, that's it. 77. Iam figuring it's from 1949. Pretty nice score for $74.00 out the door. Can't wait to shoot it.

Wow $74, makes you wonder what they pawned it for, $20. Maybe it was part of a collection hopefully. Did they say it worked ok?

Last edited:
Most Pawn Shops give you a 30 day warranty. I am sure it works. I was in one, one day and a guy walked in and pawned a Winchester 30-30 and Remington Special Field 870. They gave him $120 for both. I caught the guy in the parking lot and offered him $200 cash for the Remington, hen upped it to $250 and he said no, he didn't want to sell them. He just needed some quick cash and would be back for them. A month later the Winchester was on the shelf for $250 and the Remington for $400. That tells me thier profit margin.

Serial numbers were not required on guns before the Gun Control Act of 1968 if I recall. So some will have them and some will not. Some will just have model and/or production date codes.

After researching it. I am thinking the 77 is really ZZ which is a production code for 1953. Still a cool little rifle. Definitely has the nostalgic feel of a old rifle with the long barrel, reddish wood and different blueing of the barrel. Older guns are more of a black than blue. I am going to clean it up and shoot a few rounds thru it today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back