Un-Screwing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or Rounding Off the Usual Suspects

Here's a trick that I probably can't try here but might be possible elsewhere.

Back in The Yook I had an old, traditional heavy soldering bit that I always thought would be useful for "surgically" applying heat to the usual suspects, the usual suspects here being the stuck-fast-nasty-little-cross-head-screws that Japanese motorcycles are infested with.

But I didn't have a Japanese motorcycle then, so I never tried it.

This kind of thing.

Johnson_hand_copper_cat.jpg

http://josephjenkins.com/store/images/C/Johnson_hand_copper_cat.jpg

Unlikely I'll find one here, but if anyone tries it, I'd be interested to know how it works out.

The suspects in the current case are a couple of stuck-fast-nasty-little-cross-head-screws holding the master-cylinder reservoir cover on a Yamaha RZR.

These little F****ers

IF I get them out I'll put polythene or PTFE round the replacements which will hopefully stop them doing it again, but getting them out is the trick.

I have a couple of hit-it-with-a-hammer impact drivers, one of which has sometimes worked in the past, but It was the work of a moment this time to chew up these screws with it.

Perhaps my technique isn't correct. I've only used it with a club hammer, so possibly a dead blow hammer (which are available locally) would work better .

Although impact drivers are readily available here, a decent range of cross-head bits for them isn't. They come with maybe two in the box, and I've been able to buy a few loose, but no set.

(I do have a pretty comprehensive set of splined bits, which is no use to me since the car I got it for is gone.)

Ill-fitting bits are therefore a hazard, but I "auditioned" all my bits before hitting anything this time, and the one picked for the role seemed to fit pretty well.

I wonder if an electric impact wrench gizmo like this would be better?

http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21305080186330

http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21404016453583

671abb6a-cc9e-6a89-cb03-000034e79f6f.jpg

Probably too late for these little FASTNers, though, so it looks like drilling and screw extractors, though I don't recall any successes with anything that small.

Best case, I see me in the near future attempting to explain that I want reversed drill bits to a Taiwanese tool store owners daughter.

I'm screwed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
If you want reverse drill bits try McMaster-Carr.

Have you tried soaking those little screws with some PB Blaster penetrating oil.

Likely not available/findable in Taiwan. I squirted them with WD40 a few times.

What about the electric gizmo? Likely to be any better than the hammer style?

Maybe something like the Vessel Megadora 980 Impacta
Just seems a manual impact is better for JIS #2 than an electric impact wrench,
as you can give one blow at a time and stop to appraise and re-position the tool.

Originally Posted By: spackard
Maybe something like the Vessel Megadora 980 Impacta
Just seems a manual impact is better for JIS #2 than an electric impact wrench,
as you can give one blow at a time and stop to appraise and re-position the tool.

Annoyingly, I was in Japan about a month ago, and bought an ordinary Vessel screwdriver.

I noticed they had a lot of smaller-style manual impact drivers that aren't, AFAIK, available here, but I didn't buy any.

Online sellers often won't deliver to Taiwan, but that's certainly a possibility. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll try a flat or Torx screwdriver bit (the one that are sold in boxes, to be fitted on ratchets for example), hammer its way a bit into the screw, and then use a ratchet to apply enough torque. I have a nice set of "titanium" screwdriver bits that served me well for that in the past...all are still in perfect shape after this treatment!

I know it isn't the most state of the art technique, but that's the way I was able to remove a disc brake last weekend, its retention screws were all rusted to the point of being non recognizable. Hammered a Torx screwdriver bit into the screw, it worked.

BTW you seem to have paint on the screw, maybe remove paint first with a fine point may help? Good luck with these cross heads screws, in my opinion they are the worst to deal with when stuck.

For getting the screws out of the brake fluid reservoir, just use a big enough drill to remove the head off of both screws. After you do that, remove the cover and use lock grip pliers to get the screws out.

Also, the screws you are talking about are probably Japenese JIS screws. You need a JIS screwdriver for these kind of screws. A regular screwdriver will just strip out the head.

FWIW, I believe those import (jay eh pee is censored) bikes are using JIS fasteners- which are NOT the same as our philips and cross heads. Something about the angles. Anyways, if you are finding a lot of them rounding off, try locating the proper JIS driver.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DeafBrad
For getting the screws out of the brake fluid reservoir, just use a big enough drill to remove the head off of both screws. After you do that, remove the cover and use lock grip pliers to get the screws out.

Also, the screws you are talking about are probably Japenese JIS screws. You need a JIS screwdriver for these kind of screws. A regular screwdriver will just strip out the head.

Yeh, that's probably what'll happen. Hopefully there'll be enough left to get a grip on.

I was aware of JIS bits but I can't ever remember seeing them specifically identified at the point of sale, even in Japan.

Many people, even (especially?) "professionals", and even (especially?) in The Yook, aren't aware of, or couldn't care less, about the differences between cross-head bit types.

That will be even truer in Taiwan.

Trying to communicate such subtlties to Chinese / Taiwanese speakers who couldn't care less anyway is likely to be a doomed mission.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buck91
FWIW, I believe those import (jay eh pee is censored) bikes are using JIS fasteners- which are NOT the same as our philips and cross heads.

Bet they'd let you call me a "BRIT" though.

Yeh, thought as much.

Political correctness my ARSE.

smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back