MS5K vs Super Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please discuss. Friend stopped by today and was asking which is "good". Think after I educated him, sadly he may go the ST route. I said "both are very good oils for 5-6k OCI". I'll have to see what he chose. Car is a 2011 Dodge Caliber with 2.4 4cyl

Mobil Super 5K is a heavier sodium oil with no moly/boron....like Valvoline and some of the specialty oil companies like Schaeffer, Brad Penn, Royal Purple, Lucas,...and also Peak, ProLine, Traveler, Adv Auto, O'Reilly's, etc. I suspect ST would have ample Moly and Boron. Depends what you're looking for and have confidence in. MSS is more like PP/PU. Mobil 1 is the only remaining heavy magnesium oil in their 20 and 30 grades. Their M1 0W-40 doesn't have magnesium and generally matches the makeup of PP/PU/Castrol.

I would use the Mobil Super 5K over SuperTech any day although I'm sure SuperTech is fine for 5K miles or so. It's just something in my head but I can't make myself pour SuperTech into my engines. The only thing I've ever put SuperTech in is my friends' old clunkers.

I guess I prefer name brand oil in my expensive, new engines. Especially since I can afford it for the piece of mind. Go ahead, roast me because I know SuperTech is fine but it's some kind of mental block.
grin.gif

Friends don't put ST oil in friends clunkers. LOL!

Sorry I couldn't resist and it's all good friend

Any SN oil should be able to handle 5-6k in a non-turbo non-DI engine with no problems
smile.gif

That said, Napa Synthetic is still on sale for only $2.99/qt so for that price, why use dino when you can get synthetic for basically the same price? Napa Synthetic is rebranded Synpower.

Kmart often has Smitty's on sale for $1.99/qt, it's a synthetic blend with 10% PAO Group IV.

I would go with Mobil Super 5k as well. Supertech sources their oil from good manufacturer's but Mobil makes great oil and even tho its on their cheaper side I don't think they would skimp out on it. They have a good name in the oil market and I doubt they are willing to damage it over a couple bucks on one of their oils.

I used it in my wife's old Taurus for several year and never had a problem with it at all. She liked it because it stayed golden virtually the whole OCI.

Originally Posted By: car51
Yeah, after seeing 2015_PSD's UOA's with MS5K, I would not hesitate to use it

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back