Coolant filter plumbing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Run it parallel. That's what they were designed for. You'll catch all of the trash floating around.

Here is your coolant flow pattern:

coolant-flow.jpg

I put mine as a bypass filter in the heater hoses. I bought a radiator flush kit and used two of the T fittings with the hose connections. I then bought a long washing machine hose, cut it and used that to get to the filter.

So I got it on. Had a heck of a time getting the parts correct. Several mistaken parts orders were made.
The first time around I ordered 5/8" brass tees and some 5/8" hose with some Gates PowerGrip clamps for 5/8 hose.
Along with the 5/8" barbs for the filter.
My factory hoses are silicone so I can't use standard worm drive clamps. Have to buy lined ones, or, these Gates heatshrink clamps.
When I got the parts, I discovered the factory hose going into the heater core is 3/4"
Back to the drawing board, I found a reducing tee. 3/4" straight through and 1/2" on the tap. I ordered 2 of those and 1/2" hose and the 1/2" barbs for the filter.
More powergrip clamps, now half for 3/4 hose and the other half for 1/2" hose.
Got them all in and the 1/2" hose is thinner than expected. Enough that the 1/2" clamps won't work.
Screw it. Its EPDM, Ill just use worm drive on it.
Then I start putting the tees in the hoses and find the outlet hose necks down once its out of the heater core to 5/8"
I was able to make the hose fit on the 3/4 tee thankfully. But this made the OD of the hose too big once it was pushed onto the barb, and the 3/4 clamps wont work on that side due to that.
I decided to make it work. I bought some hose clamps, and cut 4 of the 5/8" powergrip clamps to use as liners for the silicone hose, so as not to cut it.

So it was quite an ordeal, luckily I had the car downed for a major modification (I pulled the dash and did some things) so the fact that this took me 2 weeks to setup didn't do anything other than annoy me.

I did mine using the Preston's flush fittings and washing machine hose. Now I can unscrew the hose at the filter to do a flush.

Yeah, Ive heard of people blowing those flush fittings up so I didn't wanna risk it. I went with Brass reducing T fittings 3/4" to 1/2" and used 1/2" heater hose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back