New belt or new belt tensioner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2008 Acura TL, 165k miles. Belt probably has about 35k miles on it.

My belt squeaks only on the first start of the day and then only for about 5 minutes. If I squirt some water on the belt, the squeak will go away. I understand the the belt is probably slipping due to the alternator recharging the battery, but obviously it should not slip at all.

Does this point to needing a new belt, or perhaps a new belt tensioner?

If you touch a screwdriver on the tensioner, while listening on the other end and hear it squeaking, the tensioner is bad. Belts do tend do dry out and squeak. Rubbing a candle on a squeaking belt does help or even using a crayon can temporarily get rid of a squeak. Unfortunately this is only a band aid solution and a new belt will eventually need to be put on. If you have an aftermarket belt, you may want to bust open the piggy bank and buy an OEM belt.

35k is not a lot of miles on a (good) serpentine belt.

The tensioner can/does get weak. I'd only go with OEM.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Get a new belt first. I like the gatorback belts.

+2. Whether or not you buy from Amazon, eBay, Rock Auto, or a local parts store, the Gatorback belts can be cheaper or more expensive than OEM. Regardless of a few dollars either way, I LIKE the Gatorback belts...They are durable and QUIET.

Gatorback belt is a bandaid. No belt should make noise. Something is wrong. Tension or alignment.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Gatorback belt is a bandaid. No belt should make noise. Something is wrong. Tension or alignment.

This guy is right. You need to remove your belt and check all the accessories. What DOESN'T spin freely? Bad alternator bearings?

Remove belt and spin all of the pulleys by hand. At your mileage, one or more pullies are probably bad. Replace as-needed or press-in new bearings. Use the appropriate tool and move the tensioner thru its entire range of operation - if it moves smoothly it is probably ok. I would use a new belt if the current belt is not Genuine Honda or Bando. Avoid the other brands - the length can be incorrect or the pattern can cause noise issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back