Looking for a super economical car, accent ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to commute to work, around 100 miles round trip, I need a small car with super good gas mileage, I have a Saturn sl1 with around 170000 miles and I get around 37 per gallons, the car is about to die anytime. I need a replacement, something that last and get good gas mileage and cheap at the same time.
Toyota Yaris
accent
echo

any recommendation ? I found a 2009 accent manual less than 60000 miles for $4500, what do you guys think ?

I have a 2008 Accent with manual. If you don't drive 70 mph you can get over 40 mpg with the car, Very reliable. Have only had to just start replacing parts on mine with wheel bearings and struts. The automatics suck gas. The upper option models have the usual electronic problems.

If I could fine a new one like it I would buy it today.

Just bought a Chev Spark..$12K, just checked mpg....39. Top safety pick: 5 airbags for driver, 5 for passenger. I love it.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
A Honda Civic HX with a manual transmission.

Rare as hen's teeth and expensive when found. IIRC in Cali spec they have the lean-burn disabled, which negates the fuel economy advantage.

2009 Accent will need a timing belt relatively soon. That's a $1k job at a dealer. Aside from that, it'll last a good long while.

A Yaris will last a long time and get about 35 mpg. I had one as a rental for a week when my Cruze was in the body shop. Loud, gutless, blown around on the highway, and very spartan on the inside. Putting on 100 miles in a day with that car was tiring, much more so than my Cruze.

I'd personally go up a class to compact cars. A Focus or Cruze with a stick-shift will get about 38-40 mpg highway and be a much more pleasant place to spend time than a subcompact. Did the 100 miles a day thing for 3 years, couldn't imagine doing it in a subcompact.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I have a 2008 Accent with manual. If you don't drive 70 mph you can get over 40 mpg with the car, Very reliable. Have only had to just start replacing parts on mine with wheel bearings and struts. The automatics suck gas. The upper option models have the usual electronic problems.

If I could fine a new one like it I would buy it today.

how you like it so far and what about the timing belt ?

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
A Honda Civic HX with a manual transmission.

Yep, but those are very rare to find.

I inherited a 2005 Civic LX coupe and it gets 43 MPG on highway with auto transmission.

dumped a ton of $ into it after 100k but motor, clutch and tranny havent been touched, I can get at least 46 on highway at 60mph in summer.

Last edited:
I think any of the ones you listed would work if it's a money / value-driven low mileage solution. Personally, I'd get the used Accent over a similar Yaris or Echo if it's in good shape and checks out mechanically. That's mainly considering the commute and my experience with Tercels and the Yaris in terms of ride quality and general clunkiness over that 100 miles.

I don't necessarily buy into the "one class up" argument if there's less of a value proposition and if you don't WANT a compact. I own a 2013 Accent manual as a commuter and I'd take that in a heartbeat over the 2009 Mazda 3 I used to commute in...even 25 miles each way, the Accent is more comfortable as a commuter than the Mazda. Either / or, blanket statements don't mean much if you don't fit in the car or are annoyed by some aspect of it that would impact your sensibilities in driving it a hundred miles a day. Do I read that the car's in Utah and you're in California??

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
I think any of the ones you listed would work if it's a money / value-driven low mileage solution. Personally, I'd get the used Accent over a similar Yaris or Echo if it's in good shape and checks out mechanically. That's mainly considering the commute and my experience with Tercels and the Yaris in terms of ride quality and general clunkiness over that 100 miles.

I don't necessarily buy into the "one class up" argument if there's less of a value proposition and if you don't WANT a compact. I own a 2013 Accent manual as a commuter and I'd take that in a heartbeat over the 2009 Mazda 3 I used to commute in...even 25 miles each way, the Accent is more comfortable as a commuter than the Mazda. Either / or, blanket statements don't mean much if you don't fit in the car or are annoyed by some aspect of it that would impact your sensibilities in driving it a hundred miles a day. Do I read that the car's in Utah and you're in California??

I am in Utah, the commute is from Utah county to park city

Given your commute length and the rate you'll be racking up miles, anything will last, but IMO you're better off new.

Toyota is a horrible value used, ditto for Honda. I don't think the price per mile, which is really the key metric, will be that much better buying used.

I'm averaging around 50 in my accord hybrid which is a much larger car. If your 100 miles is mostly smooth sailing, don't discount an mt 4cyl midsize.

I'm with those who would recommend something a little less Spartan and a lot more comfortable.
Sure, you'll give up a few gallons of gas each week, but you'll make up for that in greater comfort on your long commute.
I'd look at something new with year-end pricing.
The Cruise can be had pretty cheaply as can the Focus and either would be more comfortable than an Accent.

If the cheapest ownership is all you want, my vote is for Yaris, 5spd, AC and ear plugs or muffs. The drive train is ancient and bullet proof, no TB to change, no DI, not even an automatic serp. belt tensioner. It should return about 40 mpg, even more if the speed is kept below 70mph.

Last edited:
As long as you get something that's decent on gas, it won't matter that much.

30,000 miles a year at 30 mpg and $2.25 a gallon is $2,250 in gas
30,000 miles a year at 35 mpg and $2.25 a gallon is $1,929 in gas
$320 in a year really isn't that much of a difference, about $6 a week difference.

I'd buy a Camry, much more comfortable than a subcompact. 100 miles a day is a lot of time in a car, might as well have some comfort. My Camry will get 35 mpg on the highway if I slowed down, and at least 30 mpg at 80 mph.

I commute about 70 miles/day in my Rio (same as an accent.). It is comfortable but not like a Camry (also costs less.). Like others have said, if I keep the speed at 70, I hit about 37 mpg. 60-65 you may hit 40.

Originally Posted By: sirgerman
The car I want is another Saturn SL but sadly the company is gone,
here is the accent

So go to autotrader on the internet and enter Saturn S series under 60K miles and see what comes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back