Coolant Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does changing coolant loosen up junk in an abused cooling system? Kind of like cleaning out varnish / sludge in an engine.

For example a 10 year old engine on factory fill green. Would doing a couple of drain and refills over a term of a few months clean it up?

There are no cleaning abilities to coolant. During the draining, any loose stuff will drain out, otherwise, you have to use a chemical made for cooling system flushes to loosen deposits.

Last edited:
I back-flush the radiator with a garden hose. It gets a good amount of junk out.

Originally Posted By: Run
I back-flush the radiator with a garden hose. It gets a good amount of junk out.

What I'm working on doesn't have a heater core. I've done that in the last before though.

If the car runs well and temps are good... don't go crazy trying to clean something, which might cause you more grief. Just dump the coolant, flush it clean with water, dump again and refill accordingly.

If it's running normal, I would flush w distilled water and then fill w oem recommended coolant/ratio. I don't think it'll clean the system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back