15K oil & filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done 15,000 miles on synthetic oil and 20,000 miles on a Fram ultra. I would say one year or 15,000 miles [which ever comes first] is okay. Don't worry so much, life is short.

Since 1999 been doing Mobil1 EP 5W30 with Mobil1 EP Filters , 2 different cars both over 140,000 each no problems at 10K intervals.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd get a UOA done, ..... The moral of this story is don't follow someone else's UOA, or blanket statements about how long an oil lasted for someone else. Do your own homework.

+1; "Oil and filter" might be good for 15K, but maybe the car isn't. Leaky injectors, small coolant leak e.g.

Still, pretty sure it wouldn't kill the engine.

Originally Posted By: Branson304
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd get a UOA done, ..... The moral of this story is don't follow someone else's UOA, or blanket statements about how long an oil lasted for someone else. Do your own homework.

+1; "Oil and filter" might be good for 15K, but maybe the car isn't. Leaky injectors, small coolant leak e.g.

Still, pretty sure it wouldn't kill the engine.

Why chance it?

I'm planning on running Amsoil Signature for 10,000-12,000 miles starting in October. That should easily get me through the winter. I have no work commute but do mostly weekend driving to the mountains for skiing and snowshoeing. I considered Mobil 1 EP but decided to try Amsoil this time. I'll probably stick with it from now on- some type of EP oil.

M1 EP and Castrol Edge Gold can probably do 15k with no problems. If you do this, I do hope you get a UOA after the 15k
smile.gif

Napa has the best price on the UOA kit. Ask for part #4077. About $15, and it includes TBN

And also, if your car burns or leaks oil, the 15k is even easier to do since you're replenishing the TBN with the fresh oil added.

Originally Posted By: HK_Ace
I'm planning on running Amsoil Signature for 10,000-12,000 miles starting in October. That should easily get me through the winter. I have no work commute but do mostly weekend driving to the mountains for skiing and snowshoeing. I considered Mobil 1 EP but decided to try Amsoil this time. I'll probably stick with it from now on- some type of EP oil.

Excellent. I've been doing this on every car we have owned for 16+ years. (And I have countless customers going 15K-20K+) Just check your oil as you normally would is all I every ask. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
M1 EP and Castrol Edge Gold can probably do 15k with no problems. If you do this, I do hope you get a UOA after the 15k
smile.gif

Napa has the best price on the UOA kit. Ask for part #4077. About $15, and it includes TBN

And also, if your car burns or leaks oil, the 15k is even easier to do since you're replenishing the TBN with the fresh oil added.

+1. Run M1EP or M1 0W-40 and run UOA tests at 12.5K OCI mark and then at 15K OCI mark. $30 for two NAPA UOA tests are money well spent.

My previous 1994 Lexus LS400 with 380+k miles had these OCI's starting around 2000 until I sold it few months ago: 6 months(up to 10k miles) with dino (bought on sale), 12 months(up to 20k miles) with synthetic(also bought on sale), oil filter(cheap filter on sale) was once a year.

The oil fill has baffle so could not see though, valve cover gaskets were original never touch/replace so can't see the valve condition. No engine work was done, no oil leak. Oil consumption was 1/4 quart every 3-4k miles since new until sold it 22 years later.

Yes, synthetic can be used for 15k miles or longer for some engines in some area with some driving conditions.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

+1

Bought one this morning for $14.99, and sent the sample off today. There is an extra cost of shipping, but it can be shipped first class mail. Cost me $3.02 to send it from NC to Atlanta, GA, and if I had an account I could have saved some money on shipping. Round about $19 total for the kit and shipping plus it comes with a TBN too.

https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/FIL4077/FIL4077

I did not do it this time.
I had a quart of 5-20 and 5-30 Valvoline Synthetic and I bought a quart of SuperTech 5-20 synthetic.
Mixed them together and changed the oil in the Sentra (it takes 3 quarts)
The Fram Ultra filter only had 7K on it so I left it on.
I broke all the rules. I cheaped out.
Will my engine blow up or will I go to BITOG prison first?

BITOG Sentence: 3k OCI with Amsoil Signature + Microgreen filter (tossed at 3k) and pay for UOA and post cut open ...

Every time I get it in my brain that I'm going to do one of these long OCI's I get all excited, do all sorts of research, buy all the best stuff - then I'm half into it and I start talking to a few techs and they ask...are you crazy?! Being a tech myself, I then start to think...maybe I am? Then they say...you're playing with death. For whatever it costs to change your oil, you're going to run it that long? And chance you're damaging something? Are you nuts?

Then I change it at 7,000 miles and feel shame, lots of shame.

Every tech I know personally changes their oil way way before anyone on this site would ever consider. I have a mixture of techs that I work with - and I'm friends with - their ages range from 31 - 55. I'm going to blow people's minds when I say this...not a single one goes past 3,000 miles on their intervals, and all but one uses synthetic. These guys are dumping synthetic oil at 3,000 miles (and I don't agree with that either, but they won't take a chance). These are 8 different guys...half of them don't know each other - so it's not like it's a group opinion - and they all have different cars...VW, Toyota, BMW, Honda, Chevy truck x2, Chrysler 300, Jeep.

It's crazy. Like I said, I don't necessarily agree with them. Just throwing it out there.

Personally what I'm considering doing in the future - once I use all the Mobil 1 I bought because of that awesome rebate program - is doing shorter intervals with cheaper oil...maybe 5,000 OCI's using a synthetic blend, or maybe even synthetic super tech. I figure at that interval do I really need something expensive? And I realize I'm only talking about saving maybe $10-20 bucks and oil change (may car takes 9 quarts).

Last edited:
If there is shame in dumping basic M1 5K-7k ... Shame on me. But 3k ? that is a shame
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: marine65
I did not do it this time.
I had a quart of 5-20 and 5-30 Valvoline Synthetic and I bought a quart of SuperTech 5-20 synthetic.
Mixed them together and changed the oil in the Sentra (it takes 3 quarts)
The Fram Ultra filter only had 7K on it so I left it on.
I broke all the rules. I cheaped out.
Will my engine blow up or will I go to BITOG prison first?

Hi Marine65 - If you're willing to make the switch, we're willing to pick up the tab on your UOA. Pennzoil has a few spots left open in our Used Oil Analysis program for 2016. If you send me a direct message with your complete vehicle information, we'll send you a shipment of the best Pennzoil for your vehicle (most likely Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Pennzoil Platinum) and a kit to compile the sample for a UOA which is processed by Blackstone on your current oil.

After you run your recommended drain on the Pennzoil we sent you, we'll send you another kit so you can compare how the Pennzoil performed in your engine compared to your previous oil.

- The Pennzoil Team

Originally Posted By: camryrolla

+1. Run M1EP or M1 0W-40 and run UOA tests at 12.5K OCI mark and then at 15K OCI mark. $30 for two NAPA UOA tests are money well spent.

That's truly a waste of time and money.

Want to run 15k?

Check your oil monthly , top off as needed and then test it at 15k. If the report comes back as the oil is spent, it wont kill the motor you just adjust and run 10k next time.

It'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back