New Hyundia Santa Cruz pickup with extendable bed

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is more of a El Camino knockoff. A pickup has to haul 4x8 sheets of plywood,flat. You also should be easily drive a small 250 atv into the bed, AND shut the tail gate.
Edit: Reminds me of a Subaru Baja.

Last edited:
Needs bigger bed and smaller cab. I don't think it will sell. At least give it some decent utility. Reminds me a little bit of an Isuzu Amigo with no back seats.

37.gif

I don't think it'll sell well.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
That is more of a El Camino knockoff. A pickup has to haul 4x8 sheets of plywood,flat. You also should be easily drive a small 250 atv into the bed, AND shut the tail gate.
Edit: Reminds me of a Subaru Baja.

All kinds of pickups made in the past 40 years do not haul a sheet of plywood laying flat.

Your definitions are more like your opinion....which is, of course, fine.....but not accurate.

This Hyundai may not sell that well though. But who knows....this mini-segment is not stocked with lots of choices.

As others have mentioned... nothing new. If I understand right these kinds of trucks are sold in other countries. As well, Honda sold one, Subaru used to sell one, Chevy had one.

I think it is cool, and would probably have fun driving it.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

All kinds of pickups made in the past 40 years do not haul a sheet of plywood laying flat.

Your definitions are more like your opinion....which is, of course, fine.....but not accurate.

This Hyundai may not sell that well though. But who knows....this mini-segment is not stocked with lots of choices.

Name "all kinds" of pickups that can't hold a 4x8 sheet flat the last 40 years? NAME THEM. Even a step side can haul 4x8 sheets flat on the rails, compacts have cutouts for 2x4's to haul 4x8 sheets above fender wells.. I await your accurate response of a long list of popular vehicles that you so claim.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DeafBrad
As others have mentioned... nothing new. If I understand right these kinds of trucks are sold in other countries. As well, Honda sold one, Subaru used to sell one, Chevy had one.

I think it is cool, and would probably have fun driving it.

If you are referring to the Honda Ridgeline...I would not place it into the El Camino or Subaru Baja category.

Name "all kinds" of pickups that can't hold a 4x8 sheet flat the last 40 years? NAME THEM. Even a step side can haul 4x8 sheets flat on the rails, compacts have cutouts for 2x4's to haul 4x8 sheets above fender wells.. I await your accurate response of a long list of popular vehicles that you so claim.

Hmmm.... Seems like you might be changing your requirement now by counting things like bed cutouts for 2x4s.

Do we know yet if this Hyundai will have cutouts for 2x4s or otherwise will be able to carry 4x8 sheets?

We don't yet, I don't think, as all we've seen is the concept.maybe it will be able to.

The new Honda Ridgeline can carry 4x8 sheets flat in the bed. I think the old one could, too.

Well looky here...we have a temper tantrum. Not only that...you change your initial opinion to now include the cutouts in mini-pickups to haul a sheet of plywood. Ha ha ha. For that matter, just about any vehicle with a roof rack could haul a sheet then, right? Ha ha ha. Some of you people on here are so phony it's amusing. Say one thing...tout it as some sort of fact....then when called on it, you CHANGE the whole original post so that you don't look foolish.

But to be honest and force you to stick to the original premise and false definition....THESE pickups CAN NOT haul an uncut full 4x8 sheet of plywood flat in the bed:

Compact trucks....Datsun (1960's to the late 70's), Toyota compacts, Ford compacts (Courier, Ranger), Nissan compacts, Mazda B-series, Mitsubishi compact truck, and the previous generation Honda Ridgeline (it can with gate open...but that doesn't count).

So....I guess these pickups (of the past 45 years or so) aren't REALLY pickups then?? Ha ha ha ha.

Maybe you'd consider the Dodge Caravan or Chevy Suburban to be pickups since I've seen them with full plywood sheets inside???

Last edited:
Wonder what the repair costs when that sliding rear gets a fender bender smack ?

People don't buy trucks for utility, they buy them to boast that they can afford the ridiculous price and the high fuel costs. This vehicle will probably get good mileage and not cost very much, so it misses the mark completely.

I think ultimately Hyundai is playing a bet that a twist on a re-introduced class of vehicle like this will sell. I can't say it will or won't sell and to what degree if the numbers they're targeting for both production and sales are modest to begin with...I like the idea of re-introducing an updated Subaru Baja or similar for people who might want limited utility but don't want a Ridgeline or similar...If Hyundai makes 30K of them a year and sells 30K of them...good for them. My guess is that the target market for this vehicle would likely be just as concerned if it had Apple Play as it did the ability to haul something you couldn't fit in a compact hatchback...so any comparisons with small or large pick ups are probably DOA.

"Pricing has not been set, but the Santa Cruz is expected to start in the $25,000 range and compete with small pickups like the Toyota Tacoma and Chevy Colorado."

Yeah...I'm not seeing that...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
People don't buy trucks for utility, they buy them to boast that they can afford the ridiculous price and the high fuel costs. This vehicle will probably get good mileage and not cost very much, so it misses the mark completely.

Your joking, right?

Instead of Colorado or Tacoma ? Those can do what a 1/2 ton did a few years ago. Lots of 4 door units.
Maybe instead of a small CUV if you did your own yard work and hauled plants, bag dirt, mulch, etc ...
Looks fun to drive though ... But more like a second vehicle than a primary ride ...

Why do people get so hung up on having a "real pickup"? If we all followed that logic, everyone would be driving around in a Super Duty just to be sure.

Yep. I think "competitors" in this sense, when they're talking about the Tacoma and the Colorado, is strategic positioning that they're trying to woo the small pickup buyer as much as the subset of people that would be interested in buying something like this on its own merits. I don't think anyone is saying ( or should be saying ) its a "real pickup" or it's trying to sell in the numbers of the Tacoma...it's not supposed to be that kind of vehicle. I can see Hyundai making these in relatively limited numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back