Should I change my oil yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my '10 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins thats EGR/DPF deleted. I was wondering how long can I go on an OCI. Right now I have 15,000km on the oil and its been in there for almost 6 months. Its running RT6 5W40 and a Fleetguard LF16035. When should I change it out? I'll be pulling a sample for the first time to get a baseline.

I do tow for about 5-10% of the mileage. Anywhere from 5,000lb to 15,000lb.

But I'll be using Delo 5W40 and a Dolandson DBL filter which is an Amsoil filter clone with different paint.

Yeah, having a sample tested is really the only way to know for sure. While 15,000km "seems" like a long OCI, some of the Euro diesels run more than double that... Jaguar XE diesels for example have a 24 month or 34,000km OCI! Fiat specifies 12 months or 24,000km for its Ducato range, and backs them with a 200,000km warranty. These engines are obviously much smaller and higher revving than your Cummins too, which I'll bet rarely sees more than 2,500rpm.

Last edited:
The EGR/DPF delete **usually** auto extends the OCI versus that prior to the delete. I would sample and decide from there but at the same time you would be back to square one (more or less) if you change brands so you will not really be setting a baseline unless you stick with RT6.

It easily goes over 2500 RPM daily. I have a heavy foot...

I can't exactly pull a sample on this truck until I install a drain valve style drain plug.

I still have some RT6 left. I think I'll do this. Change the oil and pull a sample. Then use the same thing I used last time.

Farmer, if it's not too late, I would run that oci much longer. Unless you suspect a problem with fuel dilution or an air filtration issue, it should be good for double of what you have already run it.

You have to do whatever you're comfortable with but at 15k kilometers, I believe the TBN is still 7 or better on that T6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back