My 1st air impact - go with 3/8" or 1/2" drive ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I now have an air compressor (26 gallon) so I want to get a compact air impact. It will not have much use - probably once a month as needed for my own vehicles.

I think it is going to be either of the newer compact Aircat's which come in either 3/8" or 1/2". I know in the past most would say get a 1/2" drive to have the power - and I do want to use it on lug nuts, crankshaft bolts, etc. However, these newer models that I'm looking at have the same rated power in ft. lbs. (~500 ft. lbs.) for either size. The weight and size of the units are also basically the same - which means no real penalty for going for the larger drive.

Since most of my sockets are 3/8" and I could use an adapter for when I need a larger 1/2" socket for like the lug nuts, would the 3/8" impact be OK? Or, is there some other advantage to going with the 1/2" and then I could use an adapter on it if I want to use my smaller 3/8" sockets?

BTW, most of my sockets are not impact rated? Is it OK to use them since they will not get much use as impacts?

Never use a regular socket with an impact. You'll break it and things around it when it fractures.

Ratings are interesting, but a 500# rated impact won't loosen a bolt tightened to that value. You need more than you think. A 3/8" isn't going to work on crank bolts or big suspension bolts. It will be unable to do some of what you envision. You'll end up buying a 1/2" anyway.

Get a 1/2" and a reasonable set of impact sockets.

You'll be glad you did.

What is the cfm of the compressor? If your compressor doesn't have enough CFM for the wrench the impact will not work properly.

Most impacts are pretty easy on CFM required, but that's a good point.

I bought my compressor after checking the requirements of the tools I wanted it to power.

I ended up with a bigger compressor than I had initially planned. And it turns out that the real air hog is the die grinder.

Also, set up a 1/4" ball valve for the tank drain so that it's easy to use and then use it daily.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
No DO NOT use chrome socket's on an impact!go to harbor freight and get the made in Taiwan impact sockets.those are very good

I agree! no hand tool sockets! I don't use harbor freight impact sockets, but if you do decide to buy them there , make sure they are chrome moly, not chrome vanadium. Thats probably the set chris142 is talking about. Either way check to see if its chro-mo, I would not want Chro-v.

I'm using the norther tool Klutch sockets.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: Chris142
No DO NOT use chrome socket's on an impact!go to harbor freight and get the made in Taiwan impact sockets.those are very good

I agree! no hand tool sockets! I don't use harbor freight impact sockets, but if you do decide to buy them there , make sure they are chrome moly, not chrome vanadium. Thats probably the set chris142 is talking about. Either way check to see if its chro-mo, I would not want Chro-v.

I'm using the norther tool Klutch sockets.

The Pittsburgh Pro are chrome moly.

Everyone is going to HATE me and throw me into the fire!!!!!

I use a butterfly impact with hand sockets, and wobble extensions. Highest torque is 90 ft lbs.

I use a butterfly impact with hand sockets, and wobble extensions. Highest torque is 90 ft lbs. It speeds up dis/assembly BIG LEAGUE.

If you are going to use a impact once a month, I would go cordless electric.

Last edited:
The high end cordless impact are very capable. As powerful as the pneumatic ones.

Milwaukee M18 Fuel high torque. (I have one).

1/2" is the only thing I would consider if your only getting one.

Make sure if going all out for power you use something larger than 1/4" fittings and 3/8" hose.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

I use a butterfly impact with hand sockets, and wobble extensions. Highest torque is 90 ft lbs.

I'm a semi mechanic and my favorite air tool is the butterfly impact. I have one at work and home.

Skip to :42 to see one in action.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

I use a butterfly impact with hand sockets, and wobble extensions. Highest torque is 90 ft lbs. It speeds up dis/assembly BIG LEAGUE.

If you are going to use a impact once a month, I would go cordless electric.

If he goes 1/2 with an aircat, it's a twin hammer and has 1,295ft/lbs in reverse and 900ft/lbs forward. Thats why i would not recommend non impact sockets, you don't want pieces of shattered socket in your eyes.

OP , if you are going to spend for a good wrench, the aircat 1150 1/2 inch is great. You want nothing less if you are going to be loosening crank bolts. Even with the air cat, i've had to use heat on one engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigt61
1/2" for lug nuts. The HF impact sockets are fine - I've used them for many years w/o failure.

01.gif
Get the 1/2" impact gun, you'll probably end up buying a 3/8" impact wrench and an assortment of air tools shortly after.

What's the price of the Aircat impacts? I have both the HF 1/2 inch and 3/8ths. The 3/8 doesn't have a lot of power. The half inch is the one I turn too when I need to get stubborn lug nuts and crankshaft bolts, axle nuts etc off in a jiffy. I also have the HF impact sockets.

For under $200 you can get both HF impacts and sockets and extensions. Use the 20% off coupons on all your purchases.

Originally Posted By: Cressida
Thanks for the comments. It sounds like everyone thinks the 1/2 is better. I am looking at this compact:

AIRCAT 1055-TH Compact 1/2" Impact - It is around $100.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00URRB9JW/ref=s9_dcacsd_bhz_bw_c_x_2

Since I don't plan to use it much I thought it would still be strong enough to do tire rotations and an occasional brake job, crank bolt, etc.

My Craftsmen battery powered impact has no problems with lug nuts or brake jobs or struts. The Milwaukee is even better, I hear.

That Aircat should be fine for home use.

Whatever you do, upgrade the fittings on the compressor and hose and tool to high-flow fittings. Milton V-style are the default fittings everybody uses, although I hear that HF has their own high-flow fittings. Either way, they're a cheap way to make sure that your air tools that need a lot of airflow get it. As an example, my free 1/2" impact got noticeably stronger when all the fittings got switched over to V-style.

Ditto on not using chrome sockets for impact use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back