Painting rear of chrome bumpers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the rear bumper off my truck right now to touch up some scratches and light rust in the rear lower fender/rocker behind the bumper. Inspection shows the rear of the bumper is in really good shape, possibly related to yearly fluid film application (over top of an initial Amsoil HDMP application). A good washing with simple green did not remove all of the black coating, though I'm not sure what that is. There is a bit of light surface rust on some parts, and one of two spots are getting a bit heavier.

I'm torn between brushing on fresh fluid film and bolting it up- very easy to replace if the need ever arises and the one side is already slightly bent... On the other hand I could grab the drill and wire wheel and go to town; this would be followed by Rustoleum Rust reforming primer.

Opinions?

I'm confident if I were to wire wheel then do POR's 3 step application it would work marvelously. Problem is I am going to finish the paint work tomorrow so it'll be ready Monday... and I do not have any POR on hand. Plus, as I mentioned these bumpers aren't show quality and do have some defects to begin with. Just looking for maximum protection with minimum effort.

What I need to do is hit them with simple green and a green scrubby pad followed by drying and a spot of rustoleum primer. Then before assembly I'll do the FF brush.

How difficult is it to install and uninstall the bumper?

Might not hurt to do the job when you have the correct stuff.

Amsoil makes a nice under-coating oily spray.

Well, what I ended up doing was just spraying the backside down with Amsoil HDMP and once that dried brushing on a thick layer of Fluid film. I rubbed the fluid film into the chrome under the plastic step pad before reassembly, also. Not sure if I'm going to buff it off or leave it there under the step- grime vs. corrosion, but I have a few hours to figure it out while a couple brackets dry before reinstall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back