15K oil & filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about Mobil 1 15K oil and a Fram Ultra filter.
Running 15K kind of worries me. 2006 Sentra with 166K on the odo.
5 days a week I drive a 21 mile commute each way to work on I-70 so the oil gets good and hot.

Opinions?

If it worries you, 10k with those products is pretty darn cost effective too ...

Last edited:
Well there is an almost 100% chance the M1 will go the 10,000 just fine if the engine is in good shape. You can do a uoa to see how the oil is holding up but the cost of a uoa is almost an oil change.

That's why I don't run UOA - I just read the tests others post and know the two oils I typically use would test fine.

The kicker here is your statement about being kinda worried. Drop it to 10,000 miles with the Ultra and eliminate the worry.

A friend has used M1 5-30EP for years at 15-17K OCIs in his last two vehicles. No problems at all. I have done 10K OCIs for 38 years with M1 oils with great success.

Last edited:
I had a 1999 Corolla After 5000 miles I went with Mobil1 EP with Mobil1EP filter changed every 10k, I replaced Valve Cover gasket at 144,000 and was amazed as how clean the top end was, I am doing same scenario with wife's Honda Accord , I am coming up on an oil change near the OCi 10k, oil is still honey colored. BTW Marine65 Thank You for your service !

Last edited:
Mobil & Fram have spent millions of dollars and over 30 years developing and producing long life, cost effective products. Do you seriously think they would advertise 15K OCI if they could not easily exceed those claims? You have the easiest type of driving (long commute) which puts little stress on the engine. Your car has lots of miles already and is well past warranty. Something else is going to break before your engine with M1EP and a Fram Ultra.

Just check your oil levels. Most cars will consume some oil over 15K

Last edited:
Run a cheap UOA from NAPA or similar, see how far you can go. My brother's '02 Altima 2.5 runs 10K+ on PP or Synpower all the time (almost all interstate runs), usually on an Ultra or similar, no problems yet (other than the floors rusting out of it)-the body will fall apart before the engine does, he's now at 165K.

Originally Posted By: marine65
5 days a week I drive a 21 mile commute each way to work on I-70 so the oil gets good and hot.

Opinions?

How long an OCI is OK varies a lot with the type of engine, how it is used and the condition it is in. It does not matter which oil and filter you use as contamination will have similar effects.
If you really want to know if a 15K OCI is OK then you need to get a used oil analysis done. I would do one at 10K first before extending the OCI further.

A $20 UOA (from Wix / Napa), is worth getting just for your peace of mind. And on a 166k mile vehicle, it's not a bad idea anyway.

When it comes back positive, you can feel good, with no nagging worry, about the time, money and mess you're saving.

maybe the sentra but not the Hyundai if its still under warranty but i would still not go over 10,000 miles.. I think the Mobil 1 is a great oil although i did not see any uoa's lately and as for the ultra they seem to be the best bet these days..

I'd get a UOA done, especially if you don't have an OLM. My Liberty has an OLM which I never paid much attention to until I zeroed it out a few times when I changed my oil. Having followed some of the blanket statements I often hear, like this dino oil should be good for 7.5K, and that synthetic for 10K and another oil should easily do 15K, etc. My OLM tripped at 5,430 miles, my wife's commute is 43 miles round trip. Granted this is NY and the conditions suck. The moral of this story is don't follow someone else's UOA, or blanket statements about how long an oil lasted for someone else. Do your own homework.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd get a UOA done, ..... The moral of this story is don't follow someone else's UOA, or blanket statements about how long an oil lasted for someone else. Do your own homework.

+1; "Oil and filter" might be good for 15K, but maybe the car isn't. Leaky injectors, small coolant leak e.g.

Originally Posted By: marine65

Opinions?

M1 has been shown to be good for 10k, so my plan in your situation would be to sample at 10k, leaving it in, and extend based on UOA results. 2-3 UOAs will get you to the right spot for your engine and driving habits.

Of course you might want to try a different oil (M1 EP, Amsoil etc) that advertises that it's good for 15k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd get a UOA done, ..... The moral of this story is don't follow someone else's UOA, or blanket statements about how long an oil lasted for someone else. Do your own homework.

+1; "Oil and filter" might be good for 15K, but maybe the car isn't. Leaky injectors, small coolant leak e.g.

+1 Or the conditions might not be as perfect as we think. 15K is doable but it might also be a big huge gamble. For the cost of a UOA, hedge your bet, I think it's a sound investment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back