Battery or starter

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I try to restart my truck after it is hot,it cranks real slow.
Yesterday the relay clicked a few times then started
I had the radio on and it lost all the presets.
When it is cold it cranks strong.
Ideas?

Well if its the battery during cold starts, the car will "lazy start" because the oil is thicker and the battery had time to be drained.

Last edited:
What were the results when you tested the battery? The age of the battery is? The output of the alternator is?

A bit of common sense will tell you that without a little diagnostics and a bit more information on your part, anything here is simply speculation.

If the battery tests bad then you replace it. If the battery has been bad for a while, it's possible that your alternator also has issues. Without doing just a little detective work you'll never know for certain.

If both of them check out, then it's time to look at the starter/starting circuit.

Have the battery tested for free at any auto parts store. If that is good, I'd suspect a bad/corroded connection somewhere.

Measure voltage at the battery while someone turns the key trying to start.

It is very important to put the meter probes on the tops of the lead posts that are part of the battery. Do not put them on the terminals that are part of the truck.

Voltage less than 9 volts is a fail. This means either the battery is worn out and needs to be replaced, or the truck is not charging it.

To differentiate those two situations, get the engine started, turn all other electrical devices off, and measure voltage at the battery again. It should be around 14 volts. If it is in the 12s the charging system is not working.

If battery voltage stays up above 9 but starter turns slow or not at all, it is likely a bad connection. Remove the battery terminals, clean mating surfaces on the terminal and post, and reconnect.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Maybe bad clamps or cables on the battery?

Definitely check the battery and connections.....if that's not the cause - I had a vehicle that did similar things, ended up it had corrosion on the battery cables - under the insulation - to about 20cm from the battery. Replaced the positive cable and all was good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back