GM 55560202 longlife cut open - 10782km

Status
Not open for further replies.

more picture (and some german text) on my blog:
https://turboseize.wordpress.com/2016/08/27/obduktion-eines-oelfilters-gm-55560202/

Original GM filter (official replacement to the replacement of the OEM Saab filter). Exterior looks like Wix; filter is made in Poland, where Wix seems to have a subsidiary (Filtron).

Filter was in use für 10782km in five months. Oil was Shell helix Ultra 0w-40. Discussion of UOA on bitog can be found here. Original blog post of the UOA: UOA Shell HU 0w-40 - blog

Previous filter was a Champion C165. (Discussion on bitog here; original blog post regarding the C165 there)

Last edited:
Interesting design, doesn't look like any North American made Wix filter I've ever seen. Looks most like the Asian oem no end cap type spin on filters used by Toyota-Denso, Honda(A01) and Mitsubishi.

Not seeing a compression spring either. Perhaps it's built into the flex of the element/bypass metal cover.

Thanks for pics.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Interesting design, doesn't look like any North American made Wix filter I've ever seen. Looks most like the Asian oem no end cap type spin on filters used by Toyota-Denso, Honda(A01) and Mitsubishi.

Not seeing a compression spring either. Perhaps it's built into the flex of the element/bypass metal cover.

Thanks for pics.

There is a small metal thing on the bottom at the bypass valve thatmight be a leaf spring. But I think it belongs to the bypass valve assembly. As the media is glued to the basecap, would there be a need or a spring pushing media and core towards the base plate?

https://turboseize.wordpress.com/2016/08/27/obduktion-eines-oelfilters-gm-55560202/#jp-carousel-4697

Originally Posted By: turboseize
...There is a small metal thing on the bottom at the bypass valve thatmight be a leaf spring. But I think it belongs to the bypass valve assembly. As the media is glued to the basecap, would there be a need or a spring pushing media and core towards the base plate?

https://turboseize.wordpress.com/2016/08/27/obduktion-eines-oelfilters-gm-55560202/#jp-carousel-4697

I believe you are correct about the part you note being part of the bypass valve.

The compression spring (leaf or coil) is designed to hold the element in place, and the adbv firmly against the baseplate. I'm thinking that this filter and element is designed with a tight(er) tolerance to the can than most. The circular dome metal plate with protruding outer edges push against the can with enough force to hold the element in place. Lacking a visible compression spring, all I can figure.

As long as the element doesn't rattle in the can and the adbv holds oil, then it works which is what matters. Just interesting no 'obvious' compression spring with this design.

The filter element definitely did not rattle. I cut the can open at the groove, and as you can see, I cut into the pleats a bit. This is a very snug and tight fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back