Kawasaki must be completely full of gas to start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys:

Problem I can't figure out: Snapper mower with Kawasaki J180(?)engine must be completely full of gas to start. Have had previous problem with "loping" where governor would kick in to keep it running, but now it won't start unless completely full of gas. Note: In any case you have to prime the carburetor by pulsing the governor lever several times to get it started.

The engine will be nearly full of gas but won't start until you fill it to the top. Once started it runs normally.

Any thoughts? Mower is 10 years old so reluctant to spend money on it.

JR

PS: was thinking of replacing it with the Honda unit with the Hydro-static transmission (approx $750), any opinions? I have 1/2 acre to mow.

partially blocked passage, requiring more "head" to get fuel. Maybe a vent in the gas cap plugged? Try starting with loose gas cap.

Sounds like a full good cleaning would fix this. take the carb. off, and clean fuel lines/tank.

Last edited:
Clogged fuel filter maybe? How long does it run once you fill it up? Does it start again once you open the gas cap? Might be a clogged vent on the gas cap not allowing air in to fill the space when you use up fuel. This is the Kawasaki FJ180V sounds like. It's a good motor. Colt this is a 6hp motor on push mowers.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
partially blocked passage, requiring more "head" to get fuel. Maybe a vent in the gas cap plugged? Try starting with loose gas cap.

Sounds like a full good cleaning would fix this. take the carb. off, and clean fuel lines/tank.

lol You beat me to it.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

^ This....find the fuel flow path and you'll find the blockage....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back