Fridge might be toast after 4 years....

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are all junk these days see if they will do anything for you if they don't bang them with badddd reviews everywhere both the store and the brand and don't let up..
I did that (or i should say a friend of mine did that for me) with a central a/c unit that was out of warranty by 1 month but the problem really started when it was new.. They refused to fix it and lied and lied Of course we took them to court and we would have won but before they got the summons they called me and put a new one in all smiles. I don't know if it was the website or the reviews everywhere

A lot of these appliances are made in the same factory and get different labels. It's like mattress business , the big box stores want all different nameplate to make it harder to shop.

Our fridge aint doing too well, didn't come back too well after a power outage - runs all the time and took ALL day to get back to 45F. I usually back it out of its space and clean the coil and fan area. Didn't this year. This unit has a the coils under (and the mice too). I think I got this one "recently" in the mid 90's. Jeepers its 20 yo already! This hot summer aint halping, don't usally run the AC unless its hot humid and in the mid 90s. So this kitchen is in the low 80s at least most of the summer.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
If this makes anyone feel better, my Great Uncle has the "Second Fridge bought in our county after WW2"

It ran up to around 2003 with no repairs in his welding shop.
My folks still have a Philco refrigerator in the basement, has been running for 60 years, never been serviced other than vacuuming the coil. It is also very quiet compared to any I have owned.

The defrosting setup on these frigs are a monster. We finally gave up on ours and got a new LG and resigned our old Kenmore similar to OP's to the basement. It seems to doing better without all the opening a closing. Over the matter of a year tried replacing quite a few parts but still had issue's with a constant temp.

Finally got it to stop frosting up at least. It liked to freeze up the drain line so I put a copper wire down the tube and wrapped on the heater wires. Replaced the defroster temp switch that clips on, the adjustable temp POT inside the frig.. think there was on more but forgot.

Funny my parents have 2 of the same and never a issue. It at least makes a good beer frig!

pop rivit not to sound like a tough guy but why don't you show some proof if you are all about seeing proof...Those things today are made to fail and all the repair guys know this everyone of them.
They are all junk even sub zero.
Its a joke these days buy from somewhere that has an option of a very long 10 yr warranty that covers all where if they cant fix it they give you a new one.

See my links in this very recent refrigerator thread: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...old#Post4180856

The OP described a very simple fridge, probably under $500 new. Spending $300 on a service call is borderline not worth it.

My only fear is that he might have the style with the cooling coils mounted on the back exterior. If he shoved it into the back wall, he might have cracked a line and let all the refrigerant out.

Most repair parts are under $75 and diy replaceable. This place: http://www.repairclinic.com/About-Us ....is right here in Canton Michigan

Addressing your question: For a compact space, get a model with the cooling components in the bottom that blows the heated air out towards the front at floor level. These require only an inch +/- of clearance on all sides/top.

Good luck!

Originally Posted By: TmanP
I see you're in Michigan... any access to a Menards?

I'm on the other side of the "get a service call" debate. Most appliances are now a throwaway product, and after tax, you could be out the door for under $500. I found this 18 cubic foot Frigidaire at Menards for $428. We have the same fridge as an extra one in the basement and it has run well for a year or two. It's quiet, keeps stuff cold and cost under $500. If it was me, I'd just replace it.

Good luck. And we have a much more expensive GE french door upstairs that had several warranty repairs, and then needed a several hundred dollar control board one month out of warranty. It can't keep a consistent temperature, and both drawers are cracked, as well as the drawer frame. The ice maker quits sometimes, and the compressor makes a very loud noise once in a while. After this experience, I wouldn't recommend GE to you. I think that Frigidaire seem to be a good value.

Good luck. https://www.menards.com/main/home-decor/...105593236494316

Saw that....will look into it if I do replace it...

Originally Posted By: Mantooth
Don't give up on her just yet. The ice maker and water dispenser on our fridgedaire side-by-side went out two times over the span of ten years. Google, YouTube and eBay helped me fix her both times. I just sold her for $100 two weekends ago. Heck, my flat screen LED TV got burned when our surge protector didn't do its job and the main board got fired. YouTube, eBay and a part that took 3 weeks to get here from China saved me on that one too.

Give fixing it a shot, you might be surprised.

Plan to save her if I can.

Funny you mention that-Just saved an old sharp lcd tv by playing around with it....

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
See my links in this very recent refrigerator thread: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...old#Post4180856

The OP described a very simple fridge, probably under $500 new. Spending $300 on a service call is borderline not worth it.

My only fear is that he might have the style with the cooling coils mounted on the back exterior. If he shoved it into the back wall, he might have cracked a line and let all the refrigerant out.

Most repair parts are under $75 and diy replaceable. This place: http://www.repairclinic.com/About-Us ....is right here in Canton Michigan

Addressing your question: For a compact space, get a model with the cooling components in the bottom that blows the heated air out towards the front at floor level. These require only an inch +/- of clearance on all sides/top.

Good luck!

Yep...you were close! Coils are on the bottom, but up toward the front. fan and the other stuff is in the back.....

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
pop rivit not to sound like a tough guy but why don't you show some proof if you are all about seeing proof...Those things today are made to fail and all the repair guys know this everyone of them.
Its a joke these days buy from somewhere that has an option of a very long 10 yr warranty that covers all where if they cant fix it they give you a new one.

I know its not really a long time... but all of my appliances are 16 years old and running fine. I've had to replace a handle on the dishwasher, and a timer on the dryer. Both I did myself with inexpensive parts. Otherwise, I've had no issues, and don't foresee any. It is true that it probably isn't worth the cost of calling a repair man these days, but if you can get a part online for $20, and turn a couple screws they're pretty durable.

The biggest problem so far with the Frigidaire refrigerator I bought a few years ago is that the door shelves crack and fall apart so easily, and are not cheap to replace. The light switch also failed, so it's dark inside. Flicking the switch where the door activates it eventually turns the lights on.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
I pushed the fridge all the way to the wall (It currently sits in a compact space without much airflow) I noticed this week that the feezer was icing up (thought is was a ice cube spill) before it went down. We also had a 3 day power outage about 3 weeks ago as well....
The condensor needs airflow to dissipate heat. Without it, pressures will rise, compressor has to work harder, reducing its life. If it gets too hot, the thermal cut-out will kick in.

I have experienced similar in a now 16 year old GE side by side fridge. Each time the defroster heating element failed. The freezer compartment starts to build up ice especially on the back panel inside the freezer. There are cools behind the freezer back panel (not coils behind external, nor under fridge) The fridge compartment becomes warmer as well because air cannot circulate around and through those iced up coils. An appliance repair directed me to remove screws, then back panel for access, sure enough coils badly and thoroughly iced. They had me manually defrost with a hair dryer, operated normally for a couple of days. I then obtained a new heater element and it was fine until the heating element again failed. The second element had been redesigned and has now served for several years no problem. I suppose it could be the defrost timer or other. Some of the appliance parts websites have trouble shooting and even videos. Good luck, let us know what happens.

Scott

Update:

Freezer top seems to work-but notice it does not want to stay cold....nothing down below. It is all apart now, waiting on a new thermastat....

Update:

New Stat. Freezer seems to be back...doing a good job freezing cubes!Fridge part down from like 50 to borderline warm (40) Concerns me slightly because it's currently on the second highest cold setting. It's been about 14ish hours now..thought it has not had 24 hours yet.

One thing I noticed. Freezer fan twitched(but went all the way around)....and now it's spinning no problem. Could have I damaged the fan somehow? Might be silly, but since I am learning here, might as well know as much as I can....

We have two refrigerators. A top freezer Kenmore (rebranded Whirlpool) made in the early 2000s and a side-by-side Whirlpool made in 1999. The side-by-side broke last year and just needed a simple compressor switch. Both are in a very warm kitchen and manage to maintain very cold temps at the middle setting. Our older Whirlpool appliances are some of the most durable things we have.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude

No worries-you don't sound anything like a "tough guy" so don't sweat that one.

I'm not the person making the outlandish claims, therefore the burden of proof isn't on me. The only proof that I have are the appliances that I own (some of which are in the 7-10 year old range) and none of which has ever had a single repair. But then, as you should (probably) know, a single data point, much like inane comments such as "all the repair guys know this every one of them", are not proof of a trend. But please feel free to continue to spew your unsubstantiated nonsense.

Well, replaced the evap fan motor in the freezer, and at the moment (been maybe 8 hours now) Temps are lower now (around 40 degrees), but still have to wait for a full 24 hours before I see anything....

Fan was easy to replace, and also returnable if this does not work out....

Might be the last update...we will see....

Running it current 4/5 coldest right now....fridge is now cold again. Tried to take it down to 3/5 (recommended) but the temp jumped up a bit.

I figure I will give it a few days on this setting and go from there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back