What ATF? 2004 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought an '04 Sequoia 4x4, 4-speed auto. 178k miles and it seems to have been decently well maintained. The ATF in it isn't horrible, but I think it's definitely time to change it as it is darker and has a smell to it. I'm really no auto trans expert, but this one seems to work OK. Shifts are fairly smooth, no slipping as far as I can tell.

Toyota only recommends Toyota Type-IV ATF. It's like $5 and some change a quart, so I'm not opposed to using it, but I was wondering if you guys have an idea for something that might be better.

My usage of the truck is general household cargo hauling, winter daily driver, and occasional tow rig for the FR-S and our Chumpcar racer.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I would stick with the T-IV, or Mobil 3309 ATF (available from Amazon) which is the T-IV fluid.

A few years ago, I used Redline D4 in my '04 Tundra. Transmission shifted funny (slipped) during the 1st to 2nd shift under medium or heavy acceleration. I kept it in for 6000 miles or so, and this never improved. So I did several drain and fills with Mobil 3309/Toyota T-IV, and all has been well. Stick with the Toyota recommendations, and it will last.

Originally Posted By: drtyler
I would stick with the T-IV, or Mobil 3309 ATF (available from Amazon) which is the T-IV fluid.

A few years ago, I used Redline D4 in my '04 Tundra. Transmission shifted funny (slipped) during the 1st to 2nd shift under medium or heavy acceleration. I kept it in for 6000 miles or so, and this never improved. So I did several drain and fills with Mobil 3309/Toyota T-IV, and all has been well. Stick with the Toyota recommendations, and it will last.

Was the D4 spec'ed for the vehicle? This seems a bit subjective to me.

I've been using Castrol Transmax Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle in my '02 Lexus GS300 with no problems. It also specs Toyota T-IV.

Considering that you tow, I would say amsoil. IIRC, that transmission has a known weakness that shows up with 4th gear (OD), provided it follows the tundra drive trains. Even with that fluid, considering you are towing a decent haul behind you, do not tow in OD.

Based on my experience with the tundra, I think you'll like the sequoia. The motor is capable and solid, and the tundra for us has been a reliable vehicle.

Thanks guys, it sounds like the Amsoil might be the choice for me. NAPA guy has been suggesting I try their stuff, he'll be happy to sell me some finally! I will be towing 5-6000 lbs. with this thing, occasionally over the mountains in West Virginia to get to race tracks, usually in the summer.

Does anyone think I ought to run a cheaper fluid for a few thousand miles before switching over to the expensive Amsoil? Just sort of an extended flush to really thoroughly get the old junk out of there?

it won't hurt but it's probably a waste of money. If anything, consider adding a spin-on external filter. I do not think that trans has a filter- just a mesh. at that mileage it probably needs new hose anyway. if it doesn't have an auxiliary cooler (should be part of the tow package if it has it) then I'd add that as well. Just take a day and do it all at once. Hint, convenient mount below the battery against the sheetmetal which forms the wheel well....

It does have an external ATF cooler. Can you point me to a good external filter setup?

Thanks!

i used this mount - it's been in use a couple of years:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XOQ0GM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

started with a mobil 1 oil filter that worked fine. used it for 15-20k miles. swapped to this recently:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014BHVRO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

over about a year I performed 3 drain/filss with amsoil. the shifting improved. I added this filter a year later and over the next 3000 miles the shifting became slightly more consistent espcially when cold. the change was very small and not overnight, but the number of "odd shifts" dropped to nil. I have 140,000 on mine. at least 2 of the 3 owners towed something heavy enough to warrant electric brakes.

I often used Valvoline MaxLife and never had a problem. Do you know when the transfer case oil and differential oils were changed?

I would like to put in another recommendation for the Toyota Type IV fluid. I have definitely tried my fair share of engine oils, but in a transmission I've always used the recommended spec. This application is no different, too much to loose and really what is to be gained? The factory spec fluid should serve you well for 30k OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back