Well, Guess My Jeep is a Permanent Trailer Queen

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's crazy, right! If I lived outside of the rust belt, I couldn't imagine I'd have anything under 15 years old with less than 150K miles.

I'd really like to get my hands on that '88

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Send Nick $50 to check it out. Fly out to pick it up. Go out wheeling with it and Nick in his grandparents Jeep. Break something, take lots of photos, drive home. Write a long post here and/or post a vid on youtube, ala Top Gear.

Come on, you know you want to...

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: Miller88

Go out wheeling with it and Nick in his grandparents Jeep. Break something, take lots of photos, drive home.

That's a negative on the wheeling. I've already destroyed one nice Cherokee - don't need to do it to another!

Originally Posted By: supton

Come on, you know you want to...

Buy it , yes haha

I'd throw a set of Cherokee Pioneer turbines on it, swap in a Chrysler 8.25'' rear axle and some rectangular fog lights on the bumper.

Then put a big AMC sticker in the back window!

I'd look at a Jeep for you if you wanted. I've also got a Chrysler 8.25 sitting around that I pulled out of a Cherokee at a junk yard sitting around... Lol

Speaking of Jeeps, I saw this yesterday.

dvgi6h.jpg

I believe I found the majority of the bad wiring and replaced it. Including splicing the oxygen sensor wiring back together. All 4 sensors are now returning value and the o2 sensor heater code went away. I still have P0158 pending but that should go away after a few drive cycles since that sensor is working.

Replaced a few fuses and a relay.

Originally Posted By: austinlunsford
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
You mean you don't know a dude with alcohol-soluble ethics? Heck, I saw someone take a Torino in for inspection...no emission equipment, long-tube headers with duals (no catalysts), the backup lights didn't work, and neither did the horn. The car entered the bay with a fifth of Jack Daniels on the passenger seat. It left the bay with a valid inspection...and no JD.

Are you sure this wasn't you? Haha!

But seriously, Torinos never had emission equipment...

It was a 1975 (think: Starsky & Hutch), originally had a mile of vacuum lines and 2 cats.

Also had a 460/4-speed swapped in place of a 351/auto (had a parts car), idled at 1000RPM, and ran 12's. It was one of the fastest cars in my high school!

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
He should buy it. The others look ragged out. That one is bone stock and clean.

R-12 and Renix? No.

R-12 and Renix? No.

Oh yes. If it's already converted to R134a, good to go. If not, worry about it when there's an A/C problem.

I don't know much about Renix, but one of my coworkers has a late '80s Renix Cherokee. It ingested water a couple weeks ago when we had some flooding downtown and the Jeep was driven through it. It did die and had to be towed, but after spitting the water out with plugs removed, it's running fine.

R-12 and Renix? No.

Oh yes. If it's already converted to R134a, good to go. If not, worry about it when there's an A/C problem.

I don't know much about Renix, but one of my coworkers has a late '80s Renix Cherokee. It ingested water a couple weeks ago when we had some flooding downtown and the Jeep was driven through it. It did die and had to be towed, but after spitting the water out with plugs removed, it's running fine.

That Renix FI system is the best, no scan tool, no trouble codes and all troubleshooting is done with a $3 Harbor Freight multimeter! I'm thinking of checking out that '88!

R-12 and Renix? No.

They have a bad reputation because when they came out, ol' bubba was still used to his carbureted 258 and he wasn't going to figure out no got-dang fuel injection! And now that they are 26 years old minimum, they are in need of maintenance. You can make one run pretty darn well and get better gas mileage than a 4.0L high output pretty easily. Replace the vacuum lines, clean up the grounds, open up the crank sensor so it sits closer to the flywhee/flexplate. The biggest pain is switching over to the newer style cooling system to avoid the exploding coolant bottle.

Unmaintained ones have a reputation of needing to crank for a few minutes straight to get the cam/crank signals synchronized by the computer.

They are really the engine that gave the 4.0L it's "runs forever" reputation - as they don't randomly shatter pistons and there's no piston slap. My friend's 90 with 200K miles is whisper quiet ... and that's after someone sludged it up and we ran it with no oil pressure. They have more low end torque than the 4.0L high output and it's quite obvious. Somewhat due in part to having a different camp profile, but it also uses a knock sensor and can adjust timing as needed. I have driven both in manual and with 3.07 gears and 31 or 33'' tires, it has no problem taking off without giving any gas and they can pull the bigger tires a bit easier without having to downshift all the time and wind the daylights out of the engine.

Interestingly enough, there is no rev limiter, either. But you can feel that they don't like to go much above 3500 where the various High Output 4.0L engines seem to like running up to 4500, 5000.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

R-12 and Renix? No.

That Renix FI system is the best, no scan tool, no trouble codes and all troubleshooting is done with a $3 Harbor Freight multimeter! I'm thinking of checking out that '88!

I was always afraid of them until I helped bring one back to life. I don't mind them. I like that the rotating assembly isn't known for randomly exploding like the newer 4.0 high output. If I had a way to get that one here ...

That '88 looks like the '88 Cherokee Pioneer I inherited from family back in '02. At the time, it was literally was grandpa driven on sundays...

That being said, having lived with a Renix, I'm happy to spend my time elsewhere these days instead of chasing things around endlessly with a multimeter... On the flip side, I got to understand how fuel injection works better than on any other vehicle I ever owned.

Well - it is a bad design to have an oxygen sensor sitting against the bellhousing with the wires bent at 90 degrees and definitely pushing the bend radius.

3 days in and it still seems to run okay!

Definitely going to buy a new sensor at some point, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back