Just replaced valve cover gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if this belongs here but thought I would share some pictures anyway.

Got the jeep with 85k miles. It now is sitting at 135.9k miles. For most of its life it has been using Pennzoil HM and every once in a while PYB. Recently I just used Rotella T6 and noticed a leak as when I parked the jeep after driving I could get out and see drops hitting the driveway. It must have cleaned up an existing leak because there never used to be drops. So I dumped it out and have been using M1 HM for the remaining past 4000 miles.

At first I thought it was an RMS leak but upon further inspection, to my best ability, I shined a light up and I believe I saw oil film on the bottom of the intake manifold. So I think it was leaking out of the valve cover and making it's way down the side of the block and getting on the drivers side edge of the bell housing.

With M1 HM it would no longer get drops on the driveway. After hours of sitting, usually over night, I would see drops on the exhaust but that was it.

With college starting monday I decided today was the day to do it as I would not get another opportunity in the near future to get it done. So today I replaced the valve cover gasket with a Felpro one from Advanced Auto Parts.

There seems to be no sludge although I didn't take hardly enough pictures so I am very sorry but I am pleased on how clean my top end at least looks.

I have been battling cold start lifter tick for the past 10-20k miles. Start the jeep up everything is fine then after about 15 seconds or so it would start to tick. Only when the oil has completely drained and the engine has been cold does it do this. Once the temps reach roughly 115*F per the gauge on the dash does it quieten and then from there on out it stay quiet until I shut it off and let it sit til the next day.

Here are two pictures of my 2002 Jeep 4.0 inline 6 (sorry they are not the best quality :[ ):

I just got done taking it for a drive and have seen no issues yet. All there is to do is wait to see if the rest of the oil residues out trickle down and then when I wipe it up see if I still have a leak although I'm fairly confident the valve cover gasket was the culprit.

Again, sooooooo sorry for not having the best quality pictures, it was early this morning with shaky hands.

I loosed the rear valve cover bolt first and I didn't realize I loosened it the whole way off. I heard it make a clunk but not a clunk onto the ground. I freaked out and panicked for 30 minutes trying to find this rear bolt. I shoved my arm in the back and just could not find the darn thing. I shined a light and couldn't see anything, I even tried to rock the jeep back and forth to get it to fall. FINALLY I found it caught in some wiring towards the middle of the jeep, possibly where the transmission is. I was incredibly thankful and about a 1000 times more careful.

Thank you :]

Looks good! I just had some heavy maintenance done on my daughter's 1999 4.0, and that's about how it looked (PYB with the first owner for 120k miles, then T6 with me fr the next 50k miles). It had 3 oil leaks, none very major but all gone now- the valve cover gasket, the rear main seal, and the oil filter adaptor O-ring. All 3 are common for the 4.0 as it ages.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Looks good! I just had some heavy maintenance done on my daughter's 1999 4.0, and that's about how it looked (PYB with the first owner for 120k miles, then T6 with me fr the next 50k miles). It had 3 oil leaks, none very major but all gone now- the valve cover gasket, the rear main seal, and the oil filter adaptor O-ring. All 3 are common for the 4.0 as it ages.

Yes so I've read. Luckily the RMS has not weeped at all yet so I'm thankful for that and I have never had any problem with oil filter, I hear that is a common problem with XJs since they have adapters. WJ 4.0s are just in the side of the block :]

Thanks!

That looks very good. Kudos for the HM and Rotella oils, great for that engine.

My old 1991 Jeep XJ Cherokee with inline 6 like yours always had a minor leak at the back of the valve cover. I would replace the gasket, but it would start leaking again about 10k miles later.

Also, being that these are inline 6 motors...they tend to leak at the rear main seal gasket at the engine block, where it bolts to the transmission. Pretty common for these engines.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back