1950s scare of Detergent engine oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Got to remember we are dealing with Grp I and early Grp II oils ... Evolutionary period when it was not all blended well. Some of these oils did not work out well.

And most "gearheads" had already found additives they could add on their own that did what they wanted
smile.gif

Home brews were the mark of a knowledgeable gearhead
laugh.gif

Did we have GPII oils in the 1950s?

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Of course the guy who rebuilds engines is going to say its a problem. And you need to bring it in right away for rebuild, right?

Like unleaded gas destroyed all the valve seats on everyone's classic. Didn't happen.

Now ethanol is going to make everyone's head explode. You keep having to tell chicken littles in Florida the rest of the world has been using it for 30 years with no problems.

But the uneducated old cronies have to be upset about something.

I guess the aviation and marine industry is not included in the "rest of the world"?

I deal with ethanol damaged fuel systems on a daily basis, caused by people who decide to run that stuff in their boats.

I also deal with it in classic cars that come in.

Ethanol fuel is a living nightmare on carburetor needles. I routinely have those come in and get pulled apart just to discover crust jamming up the needles.

The water absorption factor is terrible as well. Not uncommon to find fuel filters with rusted base plates.

Ethanol is not going to make everyone's head explode, but the damage ethanol fuel does has been completely documented on a daily basis by both marine and aviation agencies.

You're full of .

Florida is behind the rest of the world on this. It's only a problem in your mind.

The rest of the world does not use ethanol in marine or aviation.

Seems you are full of.

Originally Posted By: Garak

There is one problem I have with that. I'm no fan of ethanol, but it's hardly the end of the world. My issue is that if the automotive world has been able to adjust to ethanol blended fuels, why haven't the other segments? OPE manufacturers are especially guilty, using ethanol fuels as excuses for their failings. Instead of improving their fueling systems, they simply made them cheaper because they had a convenient scapegoat at hand.

Ethanol is decidedly damaging to certain materials that can be used in fuel system design. Why use those items when making fuel systems, then? If GM can create a vehicle to run on E85, then B&S can surely create a lawnmower engine whose fuel system won't completely disintegrate after one year of E10. By the way, my B&S fuel system disintegrated after one year of premium E0. It was handy for my small engine guy to be able to blame ethanol, until I burst his bubble.

The automotive world no longer deals with carburetors, and uses small fuel tanks that have their capacities used rather quickly.

Larger fuel tanks become victims of water absorption that ethanol fuels are famous for, which causes corrosion damage to fuel systems. There's no components you are going to use that are going to make a fuel system love water.

That's what makes it such a risk for aviation and marine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back