New CX-9 SkyactivG Turbo Engine - Non Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked it up in the Signature Trim.
2drt5zs.jpg

The new CX-9 Turbo is DI. Interestingly enough the Owners manual does not specify a synthetic.
Just a 5W30 Mazda Genuine Oil or Castrol. Then it states that Castrol is a recommended oil by Mazda.

One would think that the minimum spec would be a Synth. OCI is 8000kms

I'm going to do what ive always done in the past. Change out the oil after 1-2000kms.

Sure - the oils of today are so good and with water cooled turbos you don't need a synthetic even in a turbo application.

Ford probably has the most DI turbo engines on the road today and they also don't spec a synthetic.

Congrats on your purchase of one of the nicest looking SUV on the market.

Our Hyundai owners manual only calls for a 5W-30 SM/GF-4 with a vague mention of A5. The dealership only used Quaker State Conventional through our maintenance plan. I've been running mostly conventional SN/GF-5 since. She runs like new after purchasing late 2012.

I wouldn't worry about it unless extending OCI. But I do see you live in Canada...

Originally Posted By: Thugzy
2drt5zs.jpg

One would think that the minimum spec would be a Synth.

Why would one think that the minimum spec would be syn oil? Stn is way better in below 0*f

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Sure - the oils of today are so good and with water cooled turbos you don't need a synthetic even in a turbo application.

Ford probably has the most DI turbo engines on the road today and they also don't spec a synthetic.
You won't find many any commercial vehicle running syn oils other than for arctic starting conditions where they aren't plugged in. Those diesel engine are high out put. Trans and differentials are a different matter.

2drt5zs.jpg

The new CX-9 Turbo is DI. Interestingly enough the Owners manual does not specify a synthetic.
Just a 5W30 Mazda Genuine Oil or Castrol. Then it states that Castrol is a recommended oil by Mazda.

Who makes that engine? Is it a 4cyl?

Our '08 CX-9 GT has a Ford made V6 and calls for 5w20 with 7.5k mi OCI. Doesn't specify conventional or synthetic or the preference towards Castrol.

Those new CX-9's with the turbo diesels look cool.

Nice purchase. Mazda did a fantastic job with the styling on the CX-9. I would definitely run synthetic in that thing. High pressure engine.

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
2drt5zs.jpg

Who makes that engine? Is it a 4cyl?

Our '08 CX-9 GT has a Ford made V6 and calls for 5w20 with 7.5k mi OCI. Doesn't specify conventional or synthetic or the preference towards Castrol.

Those new CX-9's with the turbo diesels look cool.

It's a Mazda engine, 2.5 litre 4 cylinder turbo. There is no diesel engine option.

The new 9's look great, and the reviews I've read have been positive. Wife has already penciled one in as her next car! Thugzy, any real world fuel economy figures as yet? That was the one weakness of our old 2010 CX-9, the thing guzzled fuel.

If it were mine, I'd run the FF until the OLM or recommended interval. Then the first one or two OCIs with a semi-synthetic. Then full synthetic thereafter. I tend to worry about these low tension rings breaking in on new cars and I think full synthetic early on does not help.

Always synthetic, always!
Mazda already had problems before with turbo, and playing with American consumers.
In Europe for example these engines are spec. ONLY for synthetic oil. However, here manufacturers want to appeal to consumers that drive Honda's and Toyota's with engine technology that would make VW Golf from 1993 a state of the art. Of course in those engines you can put olive oil.
VW tried same in 1998 when they introduced 1.8T engine and did not spec. VW502.00 for NA market like they did in EU. They are still paying law suits.
Also, synthetic oil in the U.S. is dirt cheap. You bought car worth 30-40K and now you are asking question how to save $4-5?
Get in Wal Mart M1, Pennzoil, Castrol, Valvoline synthetic oil, change every 5K and enjoy ownership.
As for FORD and turbo, FORD is pretty late in the game, and while among American manufacturers that might seem like huge leap forward, truth is that many other manufacturers are far ahead of them. Also, their engines are going through newborn phase when it comes to DI application, something that VW and others had to go through in 2004-2006. You would think they would learn from others (like Japanese usually do) but then again, there is a reason why Big three went belly up.

8000 km is only 5000 miles, which isn't considered a particularly long OCI, even with dino.

But I agree that you'd be a fool not to use syn in a turbo DI engine. Especially when a decent syn is almost always on sale.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
8000 km is only 5000 miles, which isn't considered a particularly long OCI, even with dino.

But I agree that you'd be a fool not to use syn in a turbo DI engine. Especially when a decent syn is almost always on sale.

I just go 5K in gasoline due to high sulfur in gas and potential dilution issues.
For example in VW CC I had I did UOA on M1 0W40, and after 5K (miles) TBN was at 2.7 and it started at almost 11.
As for syn blend, or dino in turbo, I actually cannot understand people who use dino or syn bland in turbo or performance applications. You pay 40K for car and then get cheap on oil.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
You bought car worth 30-40K and now you are asking question how to save $4-5?

Where did you read me ask this? or are you have voices in your head?

Originally Posted By: hpb
It's a Mazda engine, 2.5 litre 4 cylinder turbo. There is no diesel engine option.

The new 9's look great, and the reviews I've read have been positive. Wife has already penciled one in as her next car! Thugzy, any real world fuel economy figures as yet? That was the one weakness of our old 2010 CX-9, the thing guzzled fuel.

Sofar 400kms, 11L/100km Mixed duty.... babying the throttle right now...

Originally Posted By: bigt61
If it were mine, I'd run the FF until the OLM or recommended interval. Then the first one or two OCIs with a semi-synthetic. Then full synthetic thereafter. I tend to worry about these low tension rings breaking in on new cars and I think full synthetic early on does not help.

Thanks to all for the great feedback..

I think I will do what you recommend..cheers

Originally Posted By: edyvw
You bought car worth 30-40K and now you are asking question how to save $4-5?

Where did you read me ask this? or are you have voices in your head?

What is the reason to go with synthetic blend or dino if it is not price?

If it were mine, I would do what bigt61 said, a blend for the first 2 OCIs and after that full synthetic, but never conventional, that car has a nice Turbo engine creating a lot of heat.

I'm with edyvw...no reason not to go with Syn. As for the ring issue, remember some high value cars leave the factory already filled with Syn. They have to seat rings like everybody else.

Originally Posted By: hpb

Sofar 400kms, 11L/100km Mixed duty.... babying the throttle right now...

Gee, that's good! My old V6 model always averaged around the 15L/100km mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back