Looking For A New Car-CUV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TomYoung
If you read any reviews, you will find that all this car has going for it is a low price. While I kinda like it, it absolutely a bottom of the barrel choice. You need to go to a Honda dealer, where you can select from the Fit, Civic, HRV, CRV and Accord. All excellent, all efficient, all reliable.

Or you can go to the Toyota Dealer and choose from the Yaris, Corolla , Rav4, Camry.

The Buick is not a good choice as it is dated, derivative, etc.

No arguments against Prius.

This

Just got a Kia Soul and impressed with the room inside. Keep it at 65 and I get 35 mpg. Once you cross 68 it drops to 30.

Originally Posted By: dareo
CRV is the best in the class IMO. I would skip the HRV or the CX-3 sizes since they are just about the same cost and MPG as the larger more respected models. CRV resale is insane.

Also consider a Golf Sport Wagon if you don't have to have the high ground clearance. You get a super cheap price right now, choice of MT/AT, high MPG, just a much space inside, and an unbeatable chassis for handling and ride.
CR-V costs $4,600 more than the HR-V. Which since the OP is looking for good mpg, $4,600 is over 60,000 miles worth of gas.

CR-V is high volume and more likely to get discounted than HR-V and the resale will be much stronger than the HR-V so that is why i consider them effectively the same price. I guarantee you will get more $$$ off sticker with a CR-V than HR-V and sell the CR-V for more later.

Another reason to get a CR-V over HR-V is the excellent Accord 2.4 engine and CVT transmission combo that has been proven since late 2012 when 9th gens hit the market. The HR-V drivetrain may be just as durable but is not proven.

Originally Posted By: metalone
I need some help with a new 2016-2017 with a street budget for the car alone at a max of $25,000 USD

A compact or subcompact car or CUV- I think the CUV will be ruled out because of MPG.

* Want the max mpg I can get- very important to me
* Smooth ride and a quiet drive
* Fancy radios and tires-buttons-GPS unimportant
* Easy to access engine bay for oil and filter changes- very important
* looks don't matter much
* reliability very important
* all transmissions considered.
Max passengers would be 4 but often just 1 or 2

Thanks
Dale

With $2000 Toyota rebate and good dealer discount (because very slow sale), you can get 2016 Prius for around $20k plus tax and license.

Just close your eyes when approaching the car in the morning to work and evening to home.

[/quote]
With $2000 Toyota rebate and good dealer discount (because very slow sale), you can get 2016 Prius for around $20k plus tax and license.

Just close your eyes when approaching the car in the morning to work and evening to home. [/quote]

I laughed for a long time reading that last line.

Most of the gas mileage cars are getting heavy incentives these days. People are haggling over 4 grand off Sportwagens. If its not a Truck its on sale.

Consumer Report's opinion about 2016 Prius:

Quote:
From a company that prides itself on steady, incremental improvement, Toyota shocked us by boosting the fuel economy of its hybrid icon from 44 to 52 mpg overall in our tests—an impressive 18 percent. The redesigned Prius demonstrates how a collection of small changes can pay big dividends. Other improvements include higher-quality materials and more soft-touch surfaces than its predecessor had. Handling is clearly sharper, feeling more athletic than past versions. Its leisurely acceleration and flat seats don’t make it a sports car, but that isn’t the point. Smart, reliable, fuel-efficient transportation is what makes the Prius a standout.

Mechanically and MPG are much better than last year but sale was down every month and year to date downs around 17%. This indicates not many think the styling of 2016 is acceptable.

Your VW sportwagon is much much better looking than any similar priced Toyota, Prius should not be in the same sentence when talking about VW sportwagon.

50 MPG is neat, but really does it affect the average person that much? I have put 6,000 miles on my wagon in 10 months, real MPG average is in the low 30s but lets say 30.00 MPG and 200 gallons burned. In a Prius @50.00 mpg i would have saved 80 gallons. So maybe i'd save $200 or so in a year. If i extrapolate that out across 10 years, i save 2k to 4k if gas goes up. That savings might get eaten into by a hybrid battery replacement if you own it for a 10 year stretch. I'l trade that for style, manual trans, way more hauling space, TORQUE, i could go on. I would need to save about $300 a month to consider a Prius attractive enough to own. I could just grandma my wagon around and close the gap on the Prius to only 10 mpg or so, but i like to give it a good WOT run in 2nd once a drive.

50 MPG is neat, but really does it affect the average person that much? I have put 6,000 miles on my wagon in 10 months, real MPG average is in the low 30s but lets say 30.00 MPG and 200 gallons burned. In a Prius @50.00 mpg i would have saved 80 gallons. So maybe i'd save $200 or so in a year. If i extrapolate that out across 10 years, i save 2k to 4k if gas goes up. That savings might get eaten into by a hybrid battery replacement if you own it for a 10 year stretch. I'l trade that for style, manual trans, way more hauling space, TORQUE, i could go on. I would need to save about $300 a month to consider a Prius attractive enough to own. I could just grandma my wagon around and close the gap on the Prius to only 10 mpg or so, but i like to give it a good WOT run in 2nd once a drive.
Well, the thing is you barely drive that thing. That's why it wouldn't save you that much money. 7,200 miles a year is far below the national average. Actually less than half.

But I don't buy into the whole hybrid car saving you money thing, because often times the hybrid version of that car costs at least like $3,000 more than the standard version and it would take 15 years for it to save you $3,000 in gas just to break even.

I may move out to the sticks and put 24k a year but the numbers still wont sway me from my Golf into a Prius. All the highway driving would favor the golf and put my gas bill to maybe 500 more per year at the most.

Point is, most vehicles in the 20k range get mid 30s highway and the real impact of Prius mpg is not really that significant. Unless your day job is pizza delivery and your night job is driving Uber it doesnt much matter. Even if you go up to a Honda Pilot LX they can still hit 30 mpg hwy.

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
Why not get a Mazda CX-3? We have a guy at work who just got one. He says it was $19k out the door with an automatic. He swears by it and loves it. He also says he has been averaging 34 MPG with a lot of mixed driving. He let another guy who just bought an accord take it for a drive and now the guy with the accord cant stop talking about how much he wishes he would have looked at the Mazda. The CX-5 should also be a good option. It is bigger, but slightly more expensive.

Agreed,and yes I am biased! Great cars... Not everyone recognizes that though.

I did research the Mirage and the 2017 version to be fair is much improved in all respects.
Now I'm not looking for one but it was interesting to see what Truth about Cars said and the updates. Interesting. thanks

Originally Posted By: TomYoung
If you read any reviews, you will find that all this car has going for it is a low price. While I kinda like it, it absolutely a bottom of the barrel choice. You need to go to a Honda dealer, where you can select from the Fit, Civic, HRV, CRV and Accord. All excellent, all efficient, all reliable.

Or you can go to the Toyota Dealer and choose from the Yaris, Corolla , Rav4, Camry.

The Buick is not a good choice as it is dated, derivative, etc.

No arguments against Prius.

The Prius does not bother me looks wise so with it the price in higher trims is an issue compared to a Fusion Hybrid
and the FH seems a bit low on mpg compared to the Prius. So its a give and take.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Consumer Report's opinion about 2016 Prius:

Quote:
From a company that prides itself on steady, incremental improvement, Toyota shocked us by boosting the fuel economy of its hybrid icon from 44 to 52 mpg overall in our tests—an impressive 18 percent. The redesigned Prius demonstrates how a collection of small changes can pay big dividends. Other improvements include higher-quality materials and more soft-touch surfaces than its predecessor had. Handling is clearly sharper, feeling more athletic than past versions. Its leisurely acceleration and flat seats don’t make it a sports car, but that isn’t the point. Smart, reliable, fuel-efficient transportation is what makes the Prius a standout.

Mechanically and MPG are much better than last year but sale was down every month and year to date downs around 17%. This indicates not many think the styling of 2016 is acceptable.

Your VW sportwagon is much much better looking than any similar priced Toyota, Prius should not be in the same sentence when talking about VW sportwagon.

How quiet is the Mazda CX-3? That is an issue.

Originally Posted By: JGmazda
Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
Why not get a Mazda CX-3? We have a guy at work who just got one. He says it was $19k out the door with an automatic. He swears by it and loves it. He also says he has been averaging 34 MPG with a lot of mixed driving. He let another guy who just bought an accord take it for a drive and now the guy with the accord cant stop talking about how much he wishes he would have looked at the Mazda. The CX-5 should also be a good option. It is bigger, but slightly more expensive.

Agreed,and yes I am biased! Great cars... Not everyone recognizes that though.

You live in Florida, so I assume AWD is not needed. I was going to suggest a Subaru Forester, but don't see why you'd need that in FL. I average 32mpg tank/tank with my 2016 Forester with out even trying. Some highway speeds @ 75mpg, etc. Ride is smooth, cabin is about perfect for me.

I do travel up north often and 32 mpg is nice. What can you get on the Interstate keeping the speed around 65-70? Thanks!
Oh, BTW- do you have and high oil usage issues?

Originally Posted By: JTK
You live in Florida, so I assume AWD is not needed. I was going to suggest a Subaru Forester, but don't see why you'd need that in FL. I average 32mpg tank/tank with my 2016 Forester with out even trying. Some highway speeds @ 75mpg, etc. Ride is smooth, cabin is about perfect for me.

Last edited:
Another reason to get a CR-V over HR-V is the excellent Accord 2.4 engine and CVT transmission combo that has been proven since late 2012 when 9th gens hit the market. The HR-V drivetrain may be just as durable but is not proven.

"Excellent" I guess if you ignore fuel dilution tendencies of the engine and the occasional reprogram of the CVT to keep it from destroying itself or annoying the driver. I'm a 2015 CRV owner and wouldn't buy again. Limited confidence in durability beyond warranty period.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back