Effect on oil winter & summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is motor oil more effected in winter or summer or does it matter? Effected meaning does it deplete or get dirty faster or loose its effectiveness more in summer or winter?

You mean 'affected'.

With a thermostatically controlled engine, it's not going to make much of a difference. But that will vary with engine and installation.

Cold weather will result in greater thermal expansion with a cold start, possibly increasing initial wear. It can also make it more likely that condensation will occur on the valve cover interior surface.

Hot weather increases the chances of overheating. Of course that will be especially vehicle specific.

Generally winter tends to be harder on the oil and on the engine, thick oil in cold start ups means more engine wear, also cold running means that a small fraction of the fuel is not burnt and ends up in the oil and dilutes it , since modern cars virtually no longer overheat under normal driving conditions, you could say that warm weather is better for the oil and for the engine, hotter oil at startup means the oil will flow better reducing wear, and also the engine will take less time to warm up which means less emissions, less carbon deposits, less raw fuel going into the oil etc...

I dunno if we have any papers discussing proven increase in wear in winter? There is some supposition to that effect ...

But the oil film is much thicker in cold weather and therefor less easily broken down, so I don't see the case for increased wear.

Hot oil will exhibit thermal breakdown and in some places like ring pack area, may be susceptible to coking ...

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
I dunno if we have any papers discussing proven increase in wear in winter? There is some supposition to that effect ...

But the oil film is much thicker in cold weather and therefor less easily broken down, so I don't see the case for increased wear.

Hot oil will exhibit thermal breakdown and in some places like ring pack area, may be susceptible to coking ...
+1 The problem these days with reading papers is there is so much propaganda about everything it is hard to find actual truth. People mostly believe anything. The concern would be the wrong viscosity for cold near and below freezing starts where the oil is too thick to be drawn from the oil sump to the oil pump. That dear friends is a dry start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back