Headlight bulbs 2013 Civic Coupe EX

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I've been in the automotive business quite a while, I don't pay much attention to the aftermarket anymore. I had my 1999 GMC Sonoma from brand new until a few weeks ago when I traded it on my Civic. Quite the change, I know. Anyway, the stereo is abysmal, which I'm in the process of upgrading. The headlights leave a lot to be desired. Now, I was going to get Silverstars, but lost interest in that with the short life span. I see some people doing other mods with good success. I obviously don't want anything like an HID, I know better. Are there any good options for a brighter, whiter bulb? Factory looks to be a 9006/9005. Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted By: 2010Civic
Your 99 GMC has better headlights? My 2010 Civic has way better headlights than my 1998 had.

Not necessarily. I expected something far and away better than my GMC had. While they are, I feel for 14 years newer they shouldn't be even close to my GMC. There's lot of suggestions here to upgrade bulbs, but I don't know what the best option would be.

Osram Nightbreaker, GE Nighthawk Platinum, GE Nighthawk Xenon, or Philips Xtreme Vision
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
modified HIR

I looked into HIR bulbs. I can't seem to find anywhere that sells them anymore.

Originally Posted By: DP78
modified HIR

Candlepower.com says they have them.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Osram Nightbreaker, GE Nighthawk Platinum, GE Nighthawk Xenon, or Philips Xtreme Vision
smile.gif

These are all good rec's. Phillips can be had for quite cheap, per pair, usually.

Originally Posted By: ffhdriver
Originally Posted By: DP78
modified HIR

Candlepower.com says they have them.

Thank you! I had looked at their site and then at Fine Motoring who stopped selling them and got the two mixed up.
Originally Posted By: surfstar
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

These are all good rec's. Phillips can be had for quite cheap, per pair, usually.

I will look at them too. I haven't heard of them until here. I thought most of them were on par with the SS.

9006 can use 9012 if you trim the tab slightly to get proper alignment. Available everywhere online.

I found out under gm part# 23342527 you can get the Vosla HIR +30 bulb which is even more focused. I got mine off Amazon for my Buick but you can probably get them at the dealer too. Great bulbs not man know about them.

Weird, I have a base model 2015 Civic, same generation, and I find both the stereo and the headlights to be quite good, and I'm a stickler on both, especially headlights.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
9006 can use 9012 if you trim the tab slightly to get proper alignment. Available everywhere online.

I found out under gm part# 23342527 you can get the Vosla HIR +30 bulb which is even more focused. I got mine off Amazon for my Buick but you can probably get them at the dealer too. Great bulbs not man know about them.

"Made in Germany" gives me the confidence that these bulbs are good quality. I wouldn't touch similar "Made in China" bulbs for the same price.

But unfortunately some respected manufactures have some bulbs made in China, Phillips H9 bulbs are all made in China now.

Last edited:

This is great. I work at a GM dealer so I can get these at a discount. Thank you for the info.

Originally Posted By: dlayman
Weird, I have a base model 2015 Civic, same generation, and I find both the stereo and the headlights to be quite good, and I'm a stickler on both, especially headlights.

The stereo is so flat. I installed a custom stereo in my pickup and had that for a lot of years. So I thought it was me. I've checked other people's car and they sound great. Turns out after some research I'm not the only one with this complaint. Thankfully there's plenty of good suggestions on fixes which I'm in the process of implementing.

I wanted to come back and thank you for this tip. I was able to get them through work for $26 for the pair. They work exactly liked I hoped. One project down only a couple more to go.

Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger
What trimming must be done to fit the 9012 in a 9006 housing? Our Corolla takes that low beam.

Google images search "9006 to 9012 modification"

I did this for my 08 Civic and the difference is pronounced. Using a dremel I was able to complete the modification in minutes. I'll do a similar upgrade for my high-beams when they need to be replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back