Recommend Shoulder Holster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help needed selecting a shoulder holster for a large frame revolver. I need it for hiking for extended periods. I think nylon would be OK but I'm open to suggestions. Comfort is important, it will be open carry with other hiking back pack.

Smoky

I bought a Uncle Mike's several years ago. It crossed the back in a "X" and up over the sholders. The handle of the revolver sits near center of the chest and barrel end goes toward the left down toward the waist. Mine is for my .44 Mag Super Redhawk with 9-1/2" barrel. I have worn it many days back in the day from sunlight to sunset.
It looks sort of like:
https://www.amazon.com/Uncle-Mikes-Sidek...e+mikes+holster
Except mine is for the longer barrel as mentioned.
It worked well enough I didn't need to seek another for better fit & comfort. It served my wants while hunting/hiking in bear areas. It was (gun) a bit of weight by end of the day but I didn't want something like a belt holster hanging off the side as at times I worked through brush and didn't want the thing snagging up.
I suggest go down to a local gun/sporting store and take a look for something you desire.
There are other law enforcement types that cross over the shoulders. One is a vest type which is really nice but kind of expensive but I would think would be most comfortable - providing not used in the hottest weather.

I do a lot of hiking. If youfeel you need a large frame revolver/hand gun just fasten it to your backpack. If its a nine just use a hip OWB carry. To me a shoulder carry would be uncomfortable for heavy hiking hiking.

What is its purpose? Two legged or 4 legged?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
I do a lot of hiking. If youfeel you need a large frame revolver/hand gun just fasten it to your backpack. If its a nine just use a hip OWB carry. To me a shoulder carry would be uncomfortable for heavy hiking hiking.

What is its purpose? Two legged or 4 legged?

Mostly 4 legged, black bear and puma. Most of the 2 leg are too lazy to get off the parking lot. Woods are thick and back pack carry is too time consuming at bad breath distance, don't ask how I know.
Smoky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back